BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How does the R1200CL compare to K1200LT

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  nplenzick 
#1 ·
How does the R1200CL compare to K1200LT. I'm thinking about going from a K1200LT to a R1200CL. I almost always ride by myself on short trips and think the K1200LT is just to big & heavy. I have never been on a R1200CL and was wanting some input from riders who know.

Thanks,

#2 ·
CLC and LT

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. Similar riding needs.

I owned a R1200C. Best bike I ever owned. Sold it and bought a RT for more touring. Never could get comfortable on the thing after several mods. Sold it and bought a GS. After 3 years, I've decided I'm not a GS guy. Just sold it.

I am poised to buy a C but I can't get the CLC out of my mind. My biggest concern is the weight but coming from an LT it will probably feel light as a feather. I need a daily ride first, weekend tourer second, and a long distance tourer third. So, I'm torn between the two. I like the weight of a C but for just a little more money there are CLC's out there.

The CLC has a low (for Beemers) seat height of 29 inches that might make a helluva difference.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Feedback on 1200 CLC

I have owned my 2004 CLC for a little over two years. I have not put a lot of miles on it, but that is because of too many hours working and two other bikes to ride (both Harleys)

The biggest negative you will here about the CLC is power, but personnally I think it is adequate. No not as hot as the K bikes or the R boxers but it's fine.

I don't ride two up but I go over 250# and it does fine. Going fast on the street/twisties is 80% rider and 20% rider anyway. The wind management is superb (I do have a tall factory windshield) and the stereo CD is very good. The bags and topcase have plenty of room. The seat sucks and I will do a Mayer or Corbin if I ever find the time.

#4 ·
My first BMW was a new '04 CLC Black. I put 36,000 on her in 21 months. I loved that bike, but.......I made the mistake of demoing an '05 LT while waiting for the service to be completed. That was a big mistake! I learned my love was really lust. The LT was at the top of my "need" list.
Hurricane Ophelia came Sept. '05 and drowned Blackie. Two weeks later I rode out on my new LT. 14,500 miles since 10/1/05 and it is true love.
Smoother, way more power, much less buffeting of the SO, faster cleanup, better gas mileage, and a handling dream. I do miss the "attitude" of the CLC but I would never want to go back.
Just my $.02.

#5 ·
CLC vs. LT

When I was thinking about getting a BMW, I was at a Dealership in Ft Wayne, and they had an LT, and a CLC. I own a 97 Utlra Classic Harley, so I rode the CL first. Then I rode the LT. In my opinion, there is no comparison. The LT wins in every single comparision, except price. The LT is smoother, more power, handles better, and in my opinion more comfortable. In fact, I don't think the CL is even close to being as nice as my Ultra Classic. BTW, after that test ride, I found a used 2000 LT and boutght it!! Just my opinion. jrlakin

#6 ·
damenke said:
How does the R1200CL compare to K1200LT. I'm thinking about going from a K1200LT to a R1200CL. I almost always ride by myself on short trips and think the K1200LT is just to big & heavy. I have never been on a R1200CL and was wanting some input from riders who know.

Thanks,
Solo riding, on short trips (your defined usage), I think you'll like the CL. For two up, or really long distance riding, the power and smoothness of the LT is hard to beat. The CL suffers in almost any comparison to the LT, except low speed maneuvering.

The CL has much shorter range (gets worse fuel mileage AND has a smaller tank). For short trips this would likely be a non issue.

The LT provides somewhat better wind protection, especially in gusty conditions. The handlebar mounted fairing on the CL can lead to some unnerving moments when dealing with traffic turbulence on windy days.

The CL is somewhat lighter, and has a bit lower seat than an LT. Many like that.

The CL costs less than an LT, but I think the LT holds its value better. (due to its being more popular).

The CL had enough power to keep up with normal passing, and enough to pass with, but allow plenty of room, as it is a bit more leisurely getting to speed than almost anything else BMW offers. The power is probably equal to most stock HD cruisers though.

If you have the dealer do the work, I'd expect the maintenance of the CL to be slightly higher, as the valves need to be checked or adjusted every six thousand miles.

Looks are a bit subjective, but I think the CL looks just odd enough to be very cool.

The real clincher, is that BMW is blowing out the remaining CL's. The BMW dealer was offering crate loads of them over the Biketoberfest weekend for 10,999.00 plus 495.00 dealer fee. That's just an incredible deal for anyone that wants one. Brand new (2004) bike with three year warranty, ABS brakes, cruise control, heated grips, AM/FM radio with CD player, and color matched saddlebags and trunk. The deal of the century! They have them available only in brown though, but it looks good. Good enough that my wife bought one, after taking a test ride, even though she wasn't even in the market for another bike!

#7 ·
I think I agree with everything Ruben said.
I owned a R1200C Montana for 5 years and liked it a lot. I think it was perfect for short to medium trips. (MY idea of medium, not some of youse guy's idea ) I test rode the CLC and didn't like the handlebar nounted fairing and the low power, which I hadn't noticed as much on my 2001 Montana.

I wanted the ability to ride longer in more comfort and that's why I went with the K1200 LT. Also wanted a radio/CD. The Montana has no stereo, but a CLC does.

I think you may like the CLC for shorter trips, and its low seat. Just be certain the bar mounted fairing doesn't bother you.

#8 ·
Joined the CLC Team

I had a 2002 LT with dreams of cross country trips with the wife, ended up we catch ourselves going from our house (Cumming, GA - North of Atlanta) through the North GA Mountains for the day, an occasional trip to Blue Ridge and Robinsville (Dragon area). We also go down to Columbus, GA to see family (2 1/2 hours) so small trips and I felt the LT was been mis-used. I also have a 2005 K1200S which IF my wife is NOT involved that day, I don't have to tell you guys what I will ride........the mighty S.

So I sold the LT, and have been in a search for a NEW two up bike. Well that's when I saw and rode a CL. Brown one, beige seats, just a very luxurios and unique motorcycle the fit and finish is first class. I never been a huge fan of the vibes put out by the old Boxer, but it makes the bike unique, gives character.

So this past weekend, in I bought one from Daytona. rode it home to Atlanta. Very very good upper torso protection, the dip in the middle of the shield is CRAP (I am 6"1) so I am already looking for a taller shield (Parabellum) or a Laminar lip for it; my feet got cold as I approached Atlanta, I thought the cylinders would put out some heat but not, 6th gear is also CRAP, way to high, bike feels as it will stall in that gear, power is nothing like the LT nor the mighty S I have, but I think the balance is actually cool. When I am in the mood for speed and fun I have my S when in the mood to chill enjoy the trip with the wife I have the CL.

I rode all the way from Daytona and the reserve light would come on right at 150 miles, and it always fit either 3.5/3.6 gallons, wich by that time you ready to stop and rest anyway, I get about the same on my S.

The vibration of the twin, well I know it will get better with age, and I know its a character thing but man it is no 4 cylinder that is for sure.

Great Bike otherwise.

#9 ·
Good luck with the new ride, but I sense you are recognizing a few things you may not be completely happy with. About the only thing I liked about the CL and CLC over the LT was the handling. I attributed that to the boxer motor, the lower seat, and the great ergos of the handlebars. I don't like the seemingly low power and I would miss some comfort of the LT, even at "only" trips of 150 miles.

#11 ·
gatorglenn said:
Hi Darcy,

Does Daytona BMW still have these available? I was told they sold out last month.

Thanks,
Glenn
They received a shipment of close to 30 of those bikes, all remaining from BMW's warehouses. During Biketober Fest they sold all but 6.

They had 3 in Daytona and 3 in Orlando. I bought one, a brown with beige seats, they had another brown with beige seats, and a silver one, I am not sure what colors Orlando ended up getting. Those stores are owned by the same guy so the bikes can be transported between the stores no problem.

The gentleman I talked to was Duke Seegers. Not the typical enthusiastic motorcyle guy, but he answered EVERY question I had and was quick on the ball to check warranty, get my books and everything so I was pleased.

We have two shops here in ATL, I like them both I do my services buy parts and accessories and try to support them that way as much as I can, but when it comes to price of the bikes and availability they CAN"T compete so all 4 BMW's I have had in the last 4 years have come from Daytona. The CL were just not available here and I was looking for one.

#12 ·
I owned a CLC and treaded it for my LT. I really liked the bike ( except for the low speed handling issues). The Lt just suits my ridding style better. That motor on the CL gets better the more and the harder you run it. After 6000 miles mine smoothed out pretty nice. The bike is a snap to work on. Wish I could afford to keep it. I felt I was giving up a trusty steed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.