Price on new R1200GS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:34 am Thread Starter

Price on new R1200GS

Folks,

I'm considering purchasing a new GS. What is a fair price (before taxes) for this bike equipped as follows:

Heated grips
Hand guards
ABS
BMW hard-bag mounting hardware
Cylinder head plastic guards
Cross spoked wheels

I'm also considering the BMW side and top bags. These are the silver and black expandable ones.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
2006 Gray BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 Black BMW K1200LT (retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Dave - that's great. Congrats on the new bike! Sounds like you are getting a fair shake on the price. BMW of Atl would not knock off more than $350 and I wanted to buy the bike with the bull set of BMW side and top cases, cross spoked wheels, heated grips, etc... Just didn't get a good feeling from those guys. I may call them back and prod a little more but I think $350 off on a $19k purchase is unreasonable.
Thanks for the post.
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 9:58 am

Most dealers I approached when i bought my GS in January this year did not want to discount much. I finally reached a deal with my local dealer that included a small factory discount and some accessories from the dealer.

One suggestion on the accessories you listed, the Cylinder head plastic guards are just about useless on a GS if you drop it off road. Get the Hepco Becker engine guards, most dealers carry these.

Here is a shot of the GS with the bars on the Cambria weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cambria 06 029.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	3384  

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:08 am

Yes - It has the complete Engine and Tank bars......

Now the BMW engine guards do not have the wrap around under the Jug like the Hepco Becker does. But BMW uses the large engine guard you see here - But then it has been reported that the bike runs a little hotter with these.

Your going to love the GS

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:56 am
TMH

Just watched a new ABS ADV get sold at BMW Santa Cruz last weekend. Don't know what the ultimate price on the base bike was, but I do know that they gave the buyer a 20% discount on all purchased accessories (including full set of BMW bags).

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Guys - thanks for the input. Doesn't look like much of a discount is available on these bikes. I guess that's what happens when supply and demand are biased a bit towards the manufacturer... Only if this would later help with resale values!
I like the Hepco Becker engine guards.
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 2:22 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcf
Guys - thanks for the input. Doesn't look like much of a discount is available on these bikes. I guess that's what happens when supply and demand are biased a bit towards the manufacturer... Only if this would later help with resale values!
I like the Hepco Becker engine guards.
Marc
I think that in the short term, prices for the non-ADV R12GS, as well as for the R1150GS ADV's will go down, as folks trade those bikes in for R12 ADV's. But I'm not yet sure that the R12ADV does everything as well or better than the R1150GS ADV, so those bikes might see a little of a price spike in 6 months or so. By then some of the R12 ADV's might be hitting the market as used bikes, so BMW dealers will have more than just their peers to compete with. And by then supply should have met up with (and possibly exceeded) demand.

If you want a new ADV for this riding season, you will pay a price premium. If you can wait until next riding season, you could potentially save a bundle.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm no economist (I don't even play one on TV).

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 2:59 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
From what I'm hearing on the other boards, the Adv is outshining the 1150 in several areas.
But the price will go down later as you predicted.
One of the areas where I think BMW missed the mark is in the gearing. It was definitely noticeable to me that 1st gear in the new ADV is not as low as 1st in the 1150ADV, and I didn't like that. Plus I was riding the new ADV without bags or any significant weight on board, so I think that it would be worse loaded up and on a steep trail. And while I thought that the bags on the new ADV looked pretty good and secure, I now hear that they can get knocked/bumped off too easily, to the point where people are adding additional retaining straps to keep them on. Of course, you can always go with Jesse's.

And even though I am tall, I was not as comfortable on the R12 as I am on the R1150 ADV. Felt like I was sitting way up on top of the R12, whereas I felt more "within" the 1150. That and my right shin was hitting the throttle body assembly on the R12, which doesn't happen to me on the R1150.

Finally, while I liked the dash layout on the R12 (and its computer), I found the gauges harder to read due to sun glare.

Bottom line is that I think that the R12GS and ADV is a great bike. But so is/was the R1150. I didn't jump off the R12ADV test ride and shout "I have to have one of these." Instead it was more like "nice, but my 1150ADV will do just fine for me for now." I think overall it is an improvement, but not in all respects for me. And we might be seeing some of that with other potential buyers, who initially put down a deposit but ultimately released the bikes when they came in to other buyers. There definitely was a lot of hype about "the new Adventures" before they became available, but some folks aren't as enthusiastic now that the bikes are available.

Or maybe it was just that BMW released them a week after income taxes were due in the US!

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in