R76/6 Rebuild - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 11:39 am Thread Starter

R76/6 Rebuild

I recently acquired a 1976 r75/6 from a friend. It has only been sitting outside for a season or 2 but suffers from some corrosion. 1.does anyone know where I can obtain a shop manual? The owners manual is great but I need more information. 2.Yesterday I had the front tire off to fix the brakes because I couldn't move the tire, I cleaned up the pads with a wire brush and adjusted the calipers but now am having trouble getting the tire back on. On my parts list so far is new brake pads, new battery, and new fuel lines. 3.How do I find a stock seat?. I'm not super mechanical but am trying to learn as I go and would much appritate any instruction. When I first pulled the bike out I tried turning the ignition and the instrument cluster dimly lit, but it wouldn't start, I couldn't even hear the starter doing anything. What should I do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Re: R76/6 Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiJam
I recently acquired a 1976 r75/6 from a friend. It has only been sitting outside for a season or 2 but suffers from some corrosion. 1.does anyone know where I can obtain a shop manual? The owners manual is great but I need more information. 2.Yesterday I had the front tire off to fix the brakes because I couldn't move the tire, I cleaned up the pads with a wire brush and adjusted the calipers but now am having trouble getting the tire back on. On my parts list so far is new brake pads, new battery, and new fuel lines. 3.How do I find a stock seat?. I'm not super mechanical but am trying to learn as I go and would much appritate any instruction. When I first pulled the bike out I tried turning the ignition and the instrument cluster dimly lit, but it wouldn't start, I couldn't even hear the starter doing anything. What should I do next?
Welcome aboard the forums. Nice acquisition of the new-to-you bike. In addition to the assistance offered here. (A search with good keywords might provide some help), you also should take a run thru the I-BMWR FORUMS (google that). Lotsa old timers over there have much knowledge regarding your bike. Good luck - best always.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Check out the Air Head form, they also have a monthly mag. provides a lot of Q&A info on the older Air Heads.

Dennis

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 8:36 am

I would suggest the Airhead section of Adventure Riders for helpful Airhead information and knowledgeable, friendly help.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Here is a link for a parts fiche for your model and the cost of BMW parts,

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...7&rnd=04302013

I like the Clymer manuals, You can find them on E-Bay etc.

http://clymer.com/bmw-r50-r60-r75-r80-r90-r100-airhead

I will also add Snowbum's site, tons of information if you can get past the different fonts and colors.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techni...icles-list.htm

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 17th, 2013, 9:50 pm

What you should do next is join your local BMW club

http://bmwmoa.org/TheClub/CharteredClubs/FindaClub.aspx

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Thank you hex head, Chris; I never thought about that and am definitely now going to get involved. Does anyone have any intelligence on changing the fuel lines? Im going to be attempting that today. I have been looking everywhere for a diagram on the fuel lines and have not been able to find anything.

Last edited by JimiJam; Oct 18th, 2013 at 3:35 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 9:18 pm

You're supposed to have two metal tee pieces.

On each side ...
Line from petcock to one long side of tee
Line from other long side to the carb
Line connects both short legs of tees to provide crossover.

Have to disassemble air cleaner housing to do the crossover. I'd do the crossover first since it gives good idea how long the rest of the pieces need to be.

Fuel line is 7mm. I get it at local VW bug store

All lines just push on, no hose clamps required.

Good chance lining (special paint) for tank interior may be flaking off. This is too much to filter and if needed, lining can be reapplied.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiJam
Dick is rite on with IBMWRM for tips.. Clymers shop manual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl91is_fSQ.
Above is a link to affordable beemer care you tube links good stuff.
I am in the process of redoing a R75/5.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in