Great Rack and Pannier system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Great Rack and Pannier system

This system looks good and seems to be holding together very well.

They also offer a very reasonable package to lower the pipe and install full sized bags on both sides for the 1200 GS.

Good people at this company. Haven't used the products yet, but have used several KLR related products...their good.

http://happy-trail.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=536

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:47 pm
psh

Red face Why is this better?

Pete,
I am very interested in appointing my new GS. Why is this better than touratech boxes.
Thank you
Peter
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:58 am Thread Starter

The tourtech boxes have very fragile attachment pieces on the side that if bent or broken will screw up the system. They are a couple inches wider than Jesse or Happy Trail. Happy Trail versus Jesse has a beefier latching system, mounting system, and has a cross bar in the back that stabilizes the rear of the boxes. About half the time my Jesse bags are leaning inward on the bottom. happy Trails are cheaper and look to be easier to repair. Excellent business owners.

As you know, these boxes will be bashed against trees and bushes and rocks. The bike will be dropped on them, sometimes at a bit of speed. It will happen repeatedly if you ride off road. The HT and Jesses are a couple inches narrower than the handle bars. The OEM boxes are wider, and higher. You can stuff lots of stuff in these boxes, which is a bitch if you are trying to wrestle the bike in tough spaces. If they are higher, its worse. You will probably make them into parallelograms on occasion. Its important that they can be repaired in the field or at a remote shop, cause it never happens at home.

Memo: Always pack enough bungie cords to strap your bent, beat boxes to the top of the seat for the ride home!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:11 am

pannier by BMW

What is your opinion of the new rack and pannier system on the 06 1200 GSA, appear much improved over previous system,

Last edited by KEPASA; Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:17 am.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEPASA
What is your opinion of the new rack and pannier system on the 06 1200 GSA, appear much improved over previous system,
I agree, they look much improved, but I haven't seen a set yet, nor have I seen anyone crash test them!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
This system looks good and seems to be holding together very well.

They also offer a very reasonable package to lower the pipe and install full sized bags on both sides for the 1200 GS.

Good people at this company. Haven't used the products yet, but have used several KLR related products...their good.

http://happy-trail.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=536
I have a set of these for sale if anyone is interested. They've only been used once or twice and are in as new condition. Low pipe version. I don't really want to ship, so if anyone near by.. central coast area.. is interested give me a shout.

Walt
'05 R1200GS
'06 R1200RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:29 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
I agree, they look much improved, but I haven't seen a set yet, nor have I seen anyone crash test them!
I saw a set yesterday and here are my impressions:

1) Manufactured by BMW by Touratech;
2) Quick and positive locking of bags to frames, and quick removal;
3) "3-way" lids on side bags (release front latch and they lift from the front, release the back latch and they lift from the rear, release both latches and the top comes all the way off). Nice cable inside which prevents the lid from swinging too far when opening from front or rear, but disconnects quickly when removing the lid;
4) Beefy rack system, which doesn't look bad at all when all bags are removed;
5) I was surprised at how study/secure the top box mount was. I expected the side bags to be mounted sturdy/securely, and they were.
6) Interior volume is very nice - seem larger than my Jesse's. Top box would only hold 1 helmet. (I wonder who will be the first to modify a right (full size) box to fit on the left side, with a low mount muffler?)
7) Boxes looked manufactured (welded) well, were light and had a nice water seal at the top. But the walls do not seem as thick or as rigid as other boxes I have seen: Seems like they could dent pretty easily on any fall.

I've attached a photo I took yesterday, which shows all 3 bags mounted. Glad I took the shot when I did as about 15 minutes later this ABS model was wheeled into the back of the shop for prep, as its new owner rode home on his old 1150 ADV for the last time to get his ownership papers, plastic bags, etc. One lucky guy!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bags.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	3220  

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Those look really good. Good write up!

Only one nit...there seem to be lots of rivets around the bottom of the bags, which, after the bag is smashed a time or two, have the potential, it would seem to leak. Jesse and most others avoid any penetrations below the lid line, making a vessel or pot, as it were, out of the bottom of the bag, due to experiences with previous systems.

BTW, the new adventures are a very hot item here in Colorado. Dealers are smiling!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in