What is your opinion of the new rack and pannier system on the 06 1200 GSA, appear much improved over previous system,
Originally Posted by pjessen
I agree, they look much improved, but I haven't seen a set yet, nor have I seen anyone crash test them!
I saw a set yesterday and here are my impressions:
1) Manufactured by BMW by Touratech;
2) Quick and positive locking of bags to frames, and quick removal;
3) "3-way" lids on side bags (release front latch and they lift from the front, release the back latch and they lift from the rear, release both latches and the top comes all the way off). Nice cable inside which prevents the lid from swinging too far when opening from front or rear, but disconnects quickly when removing the lid;
4) Beefy rack system, which doesn't look bad at all when all bags are removed;
5) I was surprised at how study/secure the top box mount was. I expected the side bags to be mounted sturdy/securely, and they were.
6) Interior volume is very nice - seem larger than my Jesse's. Top box would only hold 1 helmet. (I wonder who will be the first to modify a right (full size) box to fit on the left side, with a low mount muffler?)
7) Boxes looked manufactured (welded) well, were light and had a nice water seal at the top. But the walls do not seem as thick or as rigid as other boxes I have seen: Seems like they could dent pretty easily on any fall.
I've attached a photo I took yesterday, which shows all 3 bags mounted. Glad I took the shot when I did as about 15 minutes later this ABS model was wheeled into the back of the shop for prep, as its new owner rode home on his old 1150 ADV for the last time to get his ownership papers, plastic bags, etc. One lucky guy!