Follow up about the sale of a R1200c - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Follow up about the sale of a R1200c

I want to give all a little follow up about the sale of the above. If you recall i asked about advise for a sale price of a 2002 BMW R1200c. That bike sold yesterday for $7,531.00 on ebay. Thanks to all for your replies concerning my earlier request.

Earlier Thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 7:59 am

Re: Follow up about the sale of a R1200c

Wow!

Well done...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCapo33
2002 BMW R1200c. That bike sold yesterday for $7,531.00 on ebay. Thanks to all for your replies concerning my earlier request.

Earlier Thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71207

I am not in the least surprised and congrats !!!
It was in excellent condition and they are in high demand in some circles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.¯
Henry David Thoreau

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:12 pm

Weird that you just posted this. You did awesome - maybe because the bike looks great! Not the case in the bike I saw Yesterday. Sunday I went to look at a 2001 R1200C Montana for a friend and *I* liked it a lot. My friend does not want it because it has no fairing.

The bike is black with the black leather bags and larger fork mounted windshield. The prior owner added a passenger seat with the backrest. (BTW, can that backrest be used for the driver? Nobody ever rides with me.) The bike only has 10,600 miles.

Now for the bad... the bike has hardly been ridden for a couple to 3 years. It started but ran rough and the ABS light never went off. I rode it and after about 1 mile the bike started to run and idle great! It felt real easy to ride. The bike was a little dirty but in otherwise very good shape. Nothing bent or broken or scratched.

Owner asked for $6,500 but I wanted to offer $5,500 because of the flashing ABS light. He said the light goes out after it is ridden a while. I think he said he has ridden it about 50 miles since he purchased it (his first bike!). I know the bike is weak in HP (61HP) but not too bad in torque. My long range bike will always be my 2010 RT but this can be my around town bike.

What advise do you C owners have for me. How is this price? Any cautions for this model and year? I may post this on the Chromehead forum also if they let me in.

Thanks in advance,
tsp
My Blog
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 12:47 am

Very good. First thanks for the follow up. So many threads hang. I saw a C model at the dealer in Seattle for a little less than 5K. It was good but worn here and there.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 6:18 am Thread Starter

tsperez, please understand that a BMW with ABS that sits for many years will have to have the brake line system flushed. Also, I would be concerned about crud in the fuel tank and I would have that check out.

Again, I think the main issue that you might have with the bike is the ABS and the system needs to be flushed. Not cheap if a dealer does it. I would also consider changing the oil and filter and the plugs.
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 4th, 2012, 7:09 am

Thanks for the feedback. Can the brake bleed be done with basic tools? I've bleed many brakes but never an ABS system.

And yes, I would change all the fluids and replace the tires. Might also need a battery. I can do all of this. The ABS I'm not sure. I also forgot to look in the tank. The fuel pump did sound rather loud. I can hardly hear the pump on my 2010 RT.

tsp
My Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCapo33
tsperez, please understand that a BMW with ABS that sits for many years will have to have the brake line system flushed. Also, I would be concerned about crud in the fuel tank and I would have that check out.

Again, I think the main issue that you might have with the bike is the ABS and the system needs to be flushed. Not cheap if a dealer does it. I would also consider changing the oil and filter and the plugs.
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperez
Owner asked for $6,500 but I wanted to offer $5,500 because of the flashing ABS light. He said the light goes out after it is ridden a while.
Indeed it does, as this is simply a low battery voltage warning.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 7:52 am

I'm inclined to agree with Kent. Could very well be a voltage issue, but you'd have to ride it a lot more than 1 mile to see if it goes off, or charge the battery first. Also, when the battery is dead or disconnected for a change or some other reason, the bike may run rough and will just need the throttle position sensor (TPS) to be reset. IIRC- (Turn key to "ON" then slowly fully open and close the throttle 2 or 3 times, then start bike) Even after restarting and riding, it may take 25, 35 miles or so to reset. So a rough idling bike may be nothing too serious. This particular bike, I wouldn't trust the gas in the tank either.

If ABS is shot, it's a huge deal breaker. ($2,000 and up if you can find the parts and mechanic) It will definitely need a brake and clutch flush. Be aware that there is also an ABS module that must be flushed when doing a brake flush. Old brake fluid scores the inside and damages that module.

If you're considering a "C", there's lots of good info and good people at the chromeheads.org site. The archive search will find answers to every question you can have. Been a member there for 10 years.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Indeed it does, as this is simply a low battery voltage warning.
Just a note to back up the low voltage warning comments above. The light will definitely stay on when the battery is low, even if it has enough juice to start the bike. I have experienced the light both when the battery was low from sitting and when the battery had actually failed but would still hold up for one-two starts when it had been charged but would not hold the charge for more that an hour or so.

BTW don't get hooked by buying a BMW battery. They are overpriced and crap to boot. I went through one year until I finally woke up and bought an Odyssey from batteries plus.

Finally I assume the bike has an electric clock in the dash. It draws enough current to kill the battery in two weeks so either keep a tender on it or charge it weekly. My experience is that constantly running it down below starting capacity and charging a battery will kill it way before it ages out.

GOOD LUCK

Jim

Woodbridge, CA
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Go for it.. If it's been sitting. THen the low battery will cause the abs to trip...

Get a new odessy battery and off you go..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 7th, 2012, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperez
I may post this on the Chromehead forum also if they let me in.

Thanks in advance,
tsp
My Blog
The Chromehead's are an extremely helpful group, they took me, so I am sure they will allow you to join.

If the bike is pristine $5500 would be an excellent price. Check for any chrome pitting, especially the rims.
Like you say, tires are probably original and would need replacing. Might need a new battery and fresh gas and general maintenance and you are good to go.

The fuel pumps sound a little louder than the present RT's as they are from the 1100 era and being in a metal tank the sound is amplified a bit more.

The rear comfort seat can be removed and the rear rest can be mounted behind the driver. The passenger comfort seats are sought after and if you have the additional passenger grab rail you would be able to recoup most of the tire costs by selling them.

I love my recent C purchase. She has almost 100,000 miles on her and runs flawlessly.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2012, 4:03 am

Just wanted to follow up a bit on the bike that I am looking at (R1200C):

1 - You guys are 100% correct on the blinking ABS lights. It totally stopped after running the bike for a short time. It was also low in gas so I put fresh gas in it and it starts right up now.

2 - Both wheels have some pitting. The front has very, very little and the rear is worse but from 10 feet away you can't see it. I'm not sure they can be long term saved but I am good at detailing. The rest of the bike really cleans up well.

Do I need (I know I want) another BMW bike...??? I'm telling the SO that I'll clean it up and sell it real soon.

tsp
My Blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in