Newbie Needs Advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Newbie Needs Advise

Hi. My name is Sean and I am new to your Forum.
I am thinking of buying a 2004 R1150RS with 37,000 miles on it at what I think is a good price. The owner has recently purchased a new K1200S and I have ridden with him a couple of times and I see that he takes care of his bikes. I have been riding for forty three years and have owned many different brands of motorcycles but never a BMW.
Is there anyting I need to be aware of with the R1150RS? As far as maintenance goes can it be done by a mechanically inclined person? I worked at automotive dealerships all my adult life and have done all the maintenance on all my bikes.
I appreciate any input you can give me on the R1150RS.

Thanks, Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Hoppy,

Getting rid of your Wee-Strom or adding a stable mate?

Cheers!
Ramon aka DaFlake
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy
Hi. My name is Sean and I am new to your Forum.
I am thinking of buying a 2004 R1150RS with 37,000 miles on it at what I think is a good price. The owner has recently purchased a new K1200S and I have ridden with him a couple of times and I see that he takes care of his bikes. I have been riding for forty three years and have owned many different brands of motorcycles but never a BMW.
Is there anyting I need to be aware of with the R1150RS? As far as maintenance goes can it be done by a mechanically inclined person? I worked at automotive dealerships all my adult life and have done all the maintenance on all my bikes.
I appreciate any input you can give me on the R1150RS.

Thanks, Sean
The "R" engines are VERY easy for a mechanically inclined person to maintain. One of the easiest on the market, as nearly everything is out in the open and easy to get to. What fairings are in the way are easy to remove.

Of course there is the electronic engine control to deal with, and no code reader available to owners that I am aware of. If you have a problem with things controlled by the ECU it takes a trip to a dealer to get the codes read out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Keeping V-Strom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
Hoppy,

Getting rid of your Wee-Strom or adding a stable mate?

Cheers!
Ramon aka DaFlake
Keeping the V-Strom for now and then deciding if I really need two bikes that are used somewhat for the same type of riding as opposed to a BMW and a cruiser or a BMW and a dual Sport (DRZ or KLR).

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:57 am Thread Starter

Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The "R" engines are VERY easy for a mechanically inclined person to maintain. One of the easiest on the market, as nearly everything is out in the open and easy to get to. What fairings are in the way are easy to remove.

Of course there is the electronic engine control to deal with, and no code reader available to owners that I am aware of. If you have a problem with things controlled by the ECU it takes a trip to a dealer to get the codes read out.
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Something I can do the general maintenance on and repair the less technical problems and leave the more technical issues for the experts at the dealership.
I appreciate your input.

Hoppy

Last edited by Hoppy; Mar 31st, 2006 at 5:07 am.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:15 am

There is a way of reading fault codes using an analogue multimeter and counting the needle dips. Search on the 'Sport Touring' website. I've used it for the ABS codes but it can also be done for the Motronic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in