I need to Vent - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

I need to Vent

The following was sent to BMW Motorad USA:

To Whom It May Concern;

I was the proud owner of a 2011 R1200R Classic motorcycle, now I'm just mad and feel (for lack of a better term) "ripped off". Let me explain. I bought my BMW in April of last year. Currently the odometer reads over 25,500 miles. Needless to say I enjoy it tremendously. Last week in an effort to get my spouse to ride more, she said she would like a back rest. After much consideration, this weekend I ordered the BMW case carrier with luggage rack 77-44-8-521-412 and the 49 liter top case. I had other choices that would have cost less, but I thought it was worth it to buy OEM due to the quality of the side cases I already had. Last night (Wed Oct 24th) I received an email from Iron Horse BMW here in Tucson AZ stating that the rack was in and the top case would follow later. I didn't mind this because it would give me the time to install the rack and then pick up the top case on the motorcycle once it came in. After work I stopped at Iron Horse, picked up the rack and went home to install it after dinner. While eating dinner, I read the installation instructions. After a few minutes of reading I came across this note half way down page 3 of the english instructions. It was a picture that showed a centre rear trim panel that said it was required in addition to the retrofit kit. Actual verbiage says "Required in addition for the R1200R facelift (K27/11, 0400/0490)". My first thought was why wasn't it included in the kit? Who's going to add a luggage rack to their motorcycle and not change out the center rear trim panel because of the gaps it leaves at the side and back by the light? Second thought was why didn't the parts manager tell me I needed a center rear trim panel? My answer was with all the years and makes of BMWs he sells how should or could he know? Next thought was "How much is this going to cost and how long will it take to come in? The second to last thought was after spending over $1,200 on a top box, luggage rack, and lock cylinder, how do I tell my spouse I need to spend more money on something that I believe should have been included in the first place? My last question is the most relevant of all: After this incident, why would I ever consider another BMW product when I have so many other choices? I await your response.

Even after sending this to BMW Motorad USA and posting it here in this forum, I don't feel any better.

Mother Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Re: I need to Vent

I'd have the same concern/point. Curious as to how they are going to respond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
I'd have the same concern/point. Curious as to how they are going to respond.
+1

Out of curiousity, do you have a picture of the rack installed without the rear trim panel?

Hope something positive comes out of this...though I would not recommend holding your breath anticipating that.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm so sorry that you are realizing this after the fact.. You bought a kit that fits more than one type of BMW motorcycle...

BMW is a deep pockets brand.. You need to get used to this... It's never going to be cheap to own a BMW...

It really sucks when they forget to mention something like this.. By selling it in pieces they keep the costs at least looking only dog awful high...All the required pieces together in a kit would produce quite a sticker shock...Even for us uber weathy BMW owners.....

We've all been down this road.. It'll get easier next time.. You'll look for those hidden required additional accessory add-on's needed for installation...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Good and bad news, first the good news. My local BMW dealer in Tucson, Iron Horse Motors is standing up to make it right when BMW Motorrad USA is not. I sent Iron Horse a copy of the email I sent to BMW Thursday night and when I called in on Friday to order the part they already had done all the leg work. Part was $38 retail, today when picking up the top case, Iron Horse said they'd pay for it. They also had the part expressed shipped and it'll be in Tucson when they open for business on Tuesday. Kudos to them, they could teach Motorrad a thing or two about customer service and satisfaction.

Now the bad news, BMW Motorrad sent a cut and paste email saying "Thanks for the input, we'll use it to keep up our high level of customer satisfaction". Called the 1-800 number after that response. Joe was about as effective as talking to the wall, except I wouldn't have got pissed off at the wall.

Bottomline 25 points for Customer Service to Iron Horse, minus 100 points for BMW Motorrad

Mother Goose
Tucson AZ
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 7:35 am

It would be a good idea to place a thread about Iron Horse Motors in the dealer experience section forum.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05hexhead
It would be a good idea to place a thread about Iron Horse Motors in the dealer experience section forum.
+1

I want to be able to quickly find out who to go to if it's ever needed when I'm on the road.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Great Idea, I didn't even know we had a "Dealer Experience" Forum on the site. I added a post about my positive experience with Iron Horse

Mother Goose
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:38 am

Iron Horse is a good dealership..

And what.. A 38 dollar retail part probably cost them 15 or 20.
And you bought how many dollars worth of stuff ? That's a pretty easy decision for a smart dealership..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherGoose
Good and bad news, first the good news. My local BMW dealer in Tucson, Iron Horse Motors is standing up to make it right when BMW Motorrad USA is not.
The original mistake was theirs and never was BMW Motorrad USA's so why would you expect anything different?

You've rather damaged your standing with this bunch, I imagine, as it's really not necessary to go ballistic when someone makes an honest mistake. They've paid you off to get you to shut up, but they won't forget you.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Well, it is also BMW's fault in a way. They should have prominently placed at the top of page #1 and not halfway down page #3, the notice of what parts were required for install.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
The original mistake was theirs and never was BMW Motorrad USA's so why would you expect anything different?

You've rather damaged your standing with this bunch, I imagine, as it's really not necessary to go ballistic when someone makes an honest mistake. They've paid you off to get you to shut up, but they won't forget you.
I'd be inclined to say this is more than a simple, honest mistake. It was most likely due to incompetence at some level, but is that what you really want to deal with when it comes to operating a motorized vehicle?

Plus the fact, BMW Motorrad USA gave him a canned response leaves the impression they don't give a damn. I'd be inclined not to give them repeat business.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Just a tip on buying accessories you haven't seen
Ask first on a couple forums where aggregate user experience will outwrigh even that of a good dealer parts guy. You'll get all the fit, finish and utility review info you could want..

As an experienced racer and rider, I never want to be anyones beta tester....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in