1200RT v. R v. wait for the water-cooled - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:37 am Thread Starter

1200RT v. R v. wait for the water-cooled

Thinking about a new bike next spring or fall; have an '11 G650gs which I love but looking for a longer-distance bike. I'm thinking about an RT, or an R, *which looks better IMO and bag it up), or just wait until they bring over the all-water cooled Boxer? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:49 pm

Re: 1200RT v. R v. wait for the water-cooled

A couple.

On the RT vs. R, as tempting as the R model is, in one of my conversations with my dealer, he noted that he sees lots of people by R's, and then end up trying (usually unsuccessfully) to accessorize them to try to create an RT-like ride out of an R; many of these end up trading in on an RT. So if you are looking for the weather protection and dash/glovebox/radio/etc. etc. of an RT, particularly for longer distance rides, go to an RT and be done with it.

If I were in the market for a boxer, I'd wait for the wasser boxer -- but then, I've got a K16 and an 1150RT-P to ride in the meantime, so the wait would be much easier for me. Here's my thoughts for someone in your position:

I expect that the wasser-boxer RT will be equipped with most, if not all, of the K16's features/gadgets -- in order words, it will be the next step beyond the R12RT, not just today's RT with a new drive train under the bodywork. Those that don't care for all the electronics won't care; those of us that like all the capabilities the K16 brings to the table will be happy campers.

The wasser-boxer release predictions are pretty consistent about release at Intermot this in October 2012, as a 2013 model -- here's the catch: the GS is traditionally the first model of any new boxer generation. *Usually* the RT comes out the next year (although there have been exceptions). Given the number of "leaked" opportunities for the GS to appear i nthe press, and the "coincidental" lack of any such leaks of anything which begins to look like an RT model, my guess (and that's all it is) is the RT will come out in mid-2013 as a 2014 model, with deliveries beginning in late 2013.

So, if you do not want to wait what I'm guessing will be two years for the wasser-boxer RT, go for the R12RT now. FWIW, that is what I would do if I was in your shoes -- buy the R12RT, enjoy it now for two-three years, and consider trading (while it still has a significant value) after the wasser-boxer comes out and the initial-release teething pains are resolved. If you don't like the new boxer, keep on enjoying the camhead.

If I'm wrong and the RT comes out in early 2013 (Intermot releases never get here before the next spring), you're in the same position, except maknig the buy/don't buy decision 6-8 months sooner -- not a signfiicant difference to me.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
A couple.

On the RT vs. R, as tempting as the R model is, in one of my conversations with my dealer, he noted that he sees lots of people by R's, and then end up trying (usually unsuccessfully) to accessorize them to try to create an RT-like ride out of an R; many of these end up trading in on an RT. So if you are looking for the weather protection and dash/glovebox/radio/etc. etc. of an RT, particularly for longer distance rides, go to an RT and be done with it.

If I were in the market for a boxer, I'd wait for the wasser boxer -- but then, I've got a K16 and an 1150RT-P to ride in the meantime, so the wait would be much easier for me. Here's my thoughts for someone in your position:

I expect that the wasser-boxer RT will be equipped with most, if not all, of the K16's features/gadgets -- in order words, it will be the next step beyond the R12RT, not just today's RT with a new drive train under the bodywork. Those that don't care for all the electronics won't care; those of us that like all the capabilities the K16 brings to the table will be happy campers.

The wasser-boxer release predictions are pretty consistent about release at Intermot this in October 2012, as a 2013 model -- here's the catch: the GS is traditionally the first model of any new boxer generation. *Usually* the RT comes out the next year (although there have been exceptions). Given the number of "leaked" opportunities for the GS to appear i nthe press, and the "coincidental" lack of any such leaks of anything which begins to look like an RT model, my guess (and that's all it is) is the RT will come out in mid-2013 as a 2014 model, with deliveries beginning in late 2013.

So, if you do not want to wait what I'm guessing will be two years for the wasser-boxer RT, go for the R12RT now. FWIW, that is what I would do if I was in your shoes -- buy the R12RT, enjoy it now for two-three years, and consider trading (while it still has a significant value) after the wasser-boxer comes out and the initial-release teething pains are resolved. If you don't like the new boxer, keep on enjoying the camhead.

If I'm wrong and the RT comes out in early 2013 (Intermot releases never get here before the next spring), you're in the same position, except maknig the buy/don't buy decision 6-8 months sooner -- not a signfiicant difference to me.
One additional consideration which probably supports waiting: Do you really want the first iteration of a new model. I would get the current RT and let them work through the water colled version for a couple of years and then if you stil have the urge switch.

I bought an '09, the last year of of pre-facelift pre-DOHC RT and it has been flawless.

What ever you do, the hunt is 70% of the fun! Enjoy!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 9:16 am

I purchased an R1200R Classic in April 11, and have loved every minute of riding it. I'm now closing in on 12,000 miles. Since purchasing it, I've added a high windshield bracket with a Cal Sci windshield, some Ilium foot pegs, the side panniers, and a throttle lock. Not even close to an RT and it weighs a lot less. Maintenance is really simplified since I don't spent anytime removing tupperware. Living in AZ, the lack of weather protection is great when it's hot, and can be overcome with the right gear when its cold. My suggestion is to ride the "R" version and compare it to the "RT". My thoughts are the handling and nimbleness you'll experience on an "R" will get you hooked. If everyone is trading their "R" for an "RT", I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to find a nice clean used one. Only regrets I have on the bike is due to the spoke wheels my tires need tubes and the cruise control on a RT sure beats a throttle lock. Sounds like it time for you to head to the dealer for some test rides! Happy New Year
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2011, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Wow! Great replies and thanks to all! Since I live around Chicago, I think I'll be waiting a few more months to do a demo ride and compare the two models . . .but today, Dec 29, it was 47 degrees and I got to do all my errands on my 650gs. Unheard of in Chicago. .
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2011, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

But one more question. . .is there anything in the hardware, shocks, frame, etc (other than the cruise control) that would make the ride on an RT different and more comfortable than the R?
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 6:57 pm

The nickname for the R1200R is the "Naked Bike" and it's called that for a reason. It has no fairings like the RT does. In Arizona, a full fairing can be done without because we hardly ever get below 32 deg. Our mornings sometimes start out cool but we warm up rather quickly. Yesterday morning, the temp was low 40's at 6AM and warmed up to over 75 after we got done with our ride at 3PM. I've added the tall windshield bracket and an after market windshield but I will never have the protection from the weather that a full fairing provided like on the RT. If I lived where you do, I think I'd be leaning a lot harder toward the RT
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Forgive the newbie question, but why would bad weather mess up a bike without a fairing?

D.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drDaveH
But one more question. . .is there anything in the hardware, shocks, frame, etc (other than the cruise control) that would make the ride on an RT different and more comfortable than the R?

Forgive the newbie question, but why would bad weather mess up a bike without a fairing?
The RT is slightly heavier, which in theory might mean a *slightly* smoother ride, but in normal operation, you likely won't feel the difference.

More importantly, the handlebars on the R12R are more forward, and I believe the fottpegs are slightly more rear set (not sure about that part) - giving the R a more leaned-forward riding position than the RT. That's great if you are running for long periods at highways speeds, as the air helps hold your torso up (although it can be tough on the neck muscles holding your head up/back more than usual); it's not great if you are riding slower, as it tends to put your weight on your wrists. The RT's more upright, only slightly-leaned-forward riding position is more comfortable in more situations for most folks. Something you need to sample yourself by sitting/riding on both bikes.

Weather won't "mess up" a nakid bike -- but it can "mess up" YOU. A naked bike is a *lot* less comfortable as wind-driven rain and/or cold start to seep in through the cracks in your gear. Even in dry and clear conditions, fighting gusty winds for a few hundred miles can be absolutely draining self-abuse.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in