K or RT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 5:17 am Thread Starter

K or RT?

Dear forum,
I own my R1200RT for several months now and considering to trade it for a K1300s.
Though I like my RT very much and its really a great & comfortable bike - I just miss so much the power of the Honda CBF 4 cyl engine I had in the past. Not going back to Honda after tasted the BMW - that's for sure but thinking of combining less comfortable bike and much more power and aggression. Anyone did such a move or own a K1300s and may reply with notes or suggestions is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Gabi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 5:40 am

Garage
Re: K or RT?

If you want the big HP and 4 pots but like the touring capabilities of the RT I would find a low klm K1300GT.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I agree that the K1600 would fit your requirement. However:

I spent this morning with a K16GLT with the SO on the back for her input. She is impressed with the seating, visibility over my head and lack of buffet when the windscreen is up. She reports that it is a far superior experience than the ride she took on the back of a K1300GT. After a 20 mile, 20 minute ride with her on the K13 that I was told to return to the dealership slowly. She said that was the worst ride ever and she was experiencing severe turbulence from the windscreen at all angles. The K16 wins over a K13 easily.

My take on the bike today (latest of several long rides on the K16):

1. The engine is a great powerful lump that is butter smooth, however, the engine/transmission makes a really obnoxious whine at certain RPM's. and the transmission is clunky on shifts. The SO specifically asked me what the clunking was on downshifts to stops, and that is something I have never heard her ask on any bike. She also mentioned the whine as being really bothersome to her.

2. The first time I took a ride, I noticed that the clutch moves in and out about 30mm or so when rolling on or off power. One reviewer commented that it makes clutch control problematic, but I did not find it a big deal if you already know good clutch control.

3. There is a growing list of K16 owners on a number of boards complaining that their bikes pull left, especially hands-off the bars. I tried that on I10 at speed and on several other roads at different speeds, and the demo bike I was on does, in fact, exhibit the same pulling to the left if hands-off the bars. I actually moved off the seat to the right a considerable amount to counter this effect, and my SO asked me what the heck I was doing.

4. I still find the windscreen on the GTL too tall for me. If I move it up just a little over an inch, I was looking through the screen and I really do not like that when I am running twisty roads. Perhaps the GT screen would be a better choice.

All in all the K16 is a fine machine with cutting edge technology, but I found myself firmly stating that I still prefer the R bikes. I love the R1200R I have, and would seriously consider obtaining a RT with the new engine before I would ever consider a K. Not my kind of ride.

Ride what grabs you and makes you smile, whatever it is. Nobody can tell you what you will be happy with. You alone will know it when you see/ride it. Good luck on the quest

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I just made the switch from a 2009 RT to a K1300GT. I loved my RT, put almost 50,000 miles on her and was getting ready to order a new blue 2012. When I spoke to the dealer, he suggested I come test drive a left over 2010 K1300GT just for giggles. I did, the GT came home with me that day.

Here are some comparisons in no particular order:

- The RT for me was an acquired taste, took many 1000s of miles before I fell in love. The GT I fell in love with at first twist (of the throttle).

- The RT wins the comfort comparison in all respects. I've put bar risers on the GT, ordered a seat and will be replacing the windscreen and adding a peg lowering kit. Even then, I suspect the RT would win an all out comfort comparison on very long days.

- The stock (tall) windscreen on the GT is good up to about 55 mph, after that it's noisy and wind buffeting is active but not horrible. The stock RT screen had much more adjustment and I could make it quiet via adjustment at any speed.

- When it comes to handling, the comparison is difficult. The RT is nimble, the GT is solid. I've only had the GT a few weeks but feel as comfortable on the twisties as I did on the RT. I'd call it a toss up for me, both are a blast in the curves.

- The GT's motor is by far more fun, it's got holy cow levels of HP and torque at all rpms and in all gears. It's almost as smooth as the Honda GL1800 six cylinder. The RT is a fine motor and is silky smooth once you've reached speed. It tends to be vibey when accelerating hard.

- There's only a little over 100 lbs difference between these two bikes but you'd think it was a couple hundred pounds when pulling off the side stand, moving them around or putting them on the center stand. I suspect the RT holds here weight much lower. The GT feels a bit portly until you start moving. That being said both are quite manageable a the slow speed stuff.

Hope this helps if you want any more info let me know.

-

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 12:40 am

I ride an R12RT and a K12S.

Both are excellent and it really depends on the roads you ride and the rides you have in mind. The RT has that protection up front, a wonderful torquey engine, better fuel mileage, etc. and etc. The K bike likes open, fast, sweeping roads. This is when it is in its element.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 3:55 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjkwood
I just made the switch from a 2009 RT to a K1300GT. I loved my RT, put almost 50,000 miles on her and was getting ready to order a new blue 2012. When I spoke to the dealer, he suggested I come test drive a left over 2010 K1300GT just for giggles. I did, the GT came home with me that day.

Here are some comparisons in no particular order:

- The RT for me was an acquired taste, took many 1000s of miles before I fell in love. The GT I fell in love with at first twist (of the throttle).

- The RT wins the comfort comparison in all respects. I've put bar risers on the GT, ordered a seat and will be replacing the windscreen and adding a peg lowering kit. Even then, I suspect the RT would win an all out comfort comparison on very long days.

- The stock (tall) windscreen on the GT is good up to about 55 mph, after that it's noisy and wind buffeting is active but not horrible. The stock RT screen had much more adjustment and I could make it quiet via adjustment at any speed.

- When it comes to handling, the comparison is difficult. The RT is nimble, the GT is solid. I've only had the GT a few weeks but feel as comfortable on the twisties as I did on the RT. I'd call it a toss up for me, both are a blast in the curves.

- The GT's motor is by far more fun, it's got holy cow levels of HP and torque at all rpms and in all gears. It's almost as smooth as the Honda GL1800 six cylinder. The RT is a fine motor and is silky smooth once you've reached speed. It tends to be vibey when accelerating hard.

- There's only a little over 100 lbs difference between these two bikes but you'd think it was a couple hundred pounds when pulling off the side stand, moving them around or putting them on the center stand. I suspect the RT holds here weight much lower. The GT feels a bit portly until you start moving. That being said both are quite manageable a the slow speed stuff.

Hope this helps if you want any more info let me know.

-
Dave, from an ex owner, the Cee Bailey screen 2+/2+ worked brilliantly on my GT.
The bar risers are great unless you want to use a tank bag and then you will be triggering the horn every time you turn the bars left and I would save your money and give the lowering kit a wide berth unless you want to be dragging the footpegs in every corner in the twisties.
Just a couple of suggestions.
BTW - I miss my GT but I really like my RT too.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Ride both an RT and a K and generally agreed with comments here except
1) No LT pillion rider in our local club has much good to say about the back of the K1600. To them its worse than the LT and none has made the change to a K1600. I don't own a K1600 or carry a passenger much so can't vouch for this personally.
2) The K 4 cyl bikes of late have mediocre reliability and expensive service records- see the litany of threads on cam drives and busted motors. They are more expensive and time consuming to service than an R bike which is perhaps the easiest full size bike to service in current production..

Basically, the RT is a better long days and high miles bike and good enough for twisties. The K is built for high speed sweepers and if you like to drive out of those at full bore, its your ticket to fun.

I am suspicious of the reliability of the K1600- too new and most of them in the hands of folks who couldn't turn a wrench in an emergency so not very observant about mechanical problems. And all recent BMW intros have had some pretty serious engineering bloopers that took a while to show up (with the possible exception of the S1000RR). Also don't like either the stock GT or GTL package- there are some things off each I'd combine.

Lucky me- I can hop on either an RT or K 4 cyl Have you thought about just adding a K bike to your set, used if necessary to control costs? They are very very different animals.. I find I ride the RT more than the K becasue I use bikes for daily transportation as well as fun but pick the K for those fast, shorter playtime runs. The RT gets all the "road trip" duty....
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:26 am

The K stirs the blood...
The R stirs the soul.

tsp
2010 R1200RT replaced ST1300 that replaced ST1100.. etc.

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 1:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperez
The K stirs the blood...
The R stirs the soul.

tsp
2010 R1200RT replaced ST1300 that replaced ST1100.. etc.

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
That's deep but true.
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 6:50 am

Have you considered an R1200R? I bought mine over 14 months ago and still am looking for excuses to ride it. The other week I took a RT1200R home overnight while mine was in the shop for the 18K service, while it was nice, it wasn't my R1200R. The R1200R is geared for much quicker acceleration and being a bit lighter than the RT seems by comparison much more nimble. The only downfall to the R1200R, is I believe its really more of a 1 up rider bike. I have just the side cases, and it works well for solo touring. If you ride two up, you'll need the top case for the passengers comfort (ie the backrest). Then you just about have an RT without the tupperware. My suggestion is to at least try a R1200R.

Mother Goose
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 8:28 am

[QUOTE=gameron]Dear forum,
I own my R1200RT for several months now and considering to trade it for a K1300s.
Though I like my RT very much and its really a great & comfortable bike - I just miss so much the power of the Honda CBF 4 cyl engine I had in the past. Not going back to Honda after tasted the BMW - that's for sure but thinking of combining less comfortable bike and much more power and aggression. Anyone did such a move or own a K1300s and may reply with notes or suggestions is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Gabi. [/QUOTE

I went from a 2009 GS to a 2009 K1300S to a 2011RT back to a 2013 K1300S and now back to a RT - fortunately my 2011 RT was still standing at the dealer unsold so I bought it back. IMHO the K1300S is a magic bike and like someone else said having both the RT and the K would be the answer. Having said that I find apart from anything else the RT is a much easier bike to ride at speeds in excess of 120km/h and also handles better. There were times on the K when I found myself running out of road with the K where on the same road at the same speed Im not having that problem. At the end of the day it is a matter of what suits you best re handling, maintainence, performance, economy and ease of working on and for me thats the RT.
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:53 am

[QUOTE=Phillo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameron
...I went from a 2009 GS to a 2009 K1300S to a 2011RT back to a 2013 K1300S and now back to a RT - fortunately my 2011 RT was still standing at the dealer unsold so I bought it back...There were times on the K when I found myself running out of road with the K where on the same road at the same speed Im not having that problem....
I'm guessin' it would have been cheaper for your to rent these bikes to figure out which one you liked the most.

Your last quoted stated sounds confusing. Did you mean to use an R instead of a second K?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 16 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:14 am

[QUOTE=bikerj]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillo

I'm guessin' it would have been cheaper for your to rent these bikes to figure out which one you liked the most.

Your last quoted stated sounds confusing. Did you mean to use an R instead of a second K?
Hi Jeff not quite sure what u r confused about - what i meant was that i found that the k did not handle (for me anyway) as well as the rt - on a given bend at a given speed i would be running out of road on the k but not the case with the rt on the same bend at the same speed !
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 5:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj

Hi Jeff not quite sure what u r confused about - what i meant was that i found that the k did not handle (for me anyway) as well as the rt - on a given bend at a given speed i would be running out of road on the k but not the case with the rt on the same bend at the same speed !
Press harder on the handlebar in the direction you are going and quit looking at the side of the road entering that turn. For some reason you are subconsciously worried about that bike and turn combination and you may not realize the bike is tracking exactly where you are looking.

Find a track day in your area and get practice in proper cornering, because I assure you the K is as capable of making that turn as the RT. What you may also be experiencing is that the K engine torque comes on hard (much more so than the RT) and will tend to stand the bike up as you roll on. Simply press the handlebar harder as you roll on. It definitely takes a good push to hold your line properly.

Look way around the turn to the exit point only. Problem solved.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Mar 6th, 2013 at 6:06 am.
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Clearly the difference between narrow and wide handlebars. If you want "best handling in turns," get a GS.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 3:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Press harder on the handlebar in the direction you are going and quit looking at the side of the road entering that turn. For some reason you are subconsciously worried about that bike and turn combination and you may not realize the bike is tracking exactly where you are looking.

Find a track day in your area and get practice in proper cornering, because I assure you the K is as capable of making that turn as the RT. What you may also be experiencing is that the K engine torque comes on hard (much more so than the RT) and will tend to stand the bike up as you roll on. Simply press the handlebar harder as you roll on. It definitely takes a good push to hold your line properly.

Look way around the turn to the exit point only. Problem solved.
No, wrong answer and assumption on your part that I am an inexperienced rider - I have had plenty of track experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in