BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Noisy Exhaust Valve

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  saddleman 
#1 ·
I'm working on a 1972 R-75/5 & as it warms up to operating temp the left side exhaust valve area gets noisy. The lash is fine & the rocker arm bushing & side play are good as well. I'm thinking of pulling the head to see if the exhaust seat is loose. Any ideas ?.

I also need to buy the exhaust pipe tool to remove the fin nut from the head & Beemerboneyard is out of stock. Who else sells the wrench ?.

#2 ·
#3 ·
05hexhead said:
There are some wrenches here and they mention Bob's as well. No Airheads in your area that you could borrow a wrench?

http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/Tools.html

I would definitely check out that valve seat.
Thanks for the link Nick :thumb: the wrench is on the way. The pushrod tube has a small dent in it & the pushrod has a slight shiny spot where it rubs the dent. Other than that everything else checks out ok.

The valve guides & seats are in good shape & the piston pin clearance between the piston & rod bushing was .0006. I'll fix the dent & hope the noise goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.