Flat Rear Tire on My R1200R - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Question Flat Rear Tire on My R1200R

Monday night about a mile from home the bike started to feel real sluggish and the handling was different. When I slowed down the problem went away so I figure it was the road surface, closer to home and down to about 20 mph it got worse. When I arrived home the rear tire was flat courtesy of a nail somewhere along my path. Jumped on this website and in no time I had the tire off ready to get repaired the next day. That evening I thought how it sucked to pick up a nail but how great it was to be so close to home. What if that wasn't the case? I have a tire repair kit from my last bike but this bike has spoke wheels and therefore a tube. Later I wondered what my options where if this were to happen again not so close to home: 1. Call for Roadside Assistance, or 2. Call my son to rescue me the truck. Here's the question. Since it was a tube would a can of fix-a-flat work? Has anyone one ever used "Slime" in their tires? Advantages/Disadvantages? Any helpful hints or past experiences you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Re: Flat Rear Tire on My R1200R

Hey Skip,
I've wondered the same thing - particularly on the R1200R where there isn't any place to carry any type of repair kit. I've just hoped that I'm in a cell coverage area!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Slime will fix a tube puncture but only if the tube is not torn. Tubes are prone to shifting (tilted valve stem, dead giveaway with the old style stem) when the tire goes flat. I used to carry an extra tube, a pump, and some tire irons. I just had a valve stem failure on my bicycle. The bicycle shop owner said that slime contributes to that problem when it is run long term. So if you catch it before it's flat and the tire has not shifted on the rim, the Slime may very well fix it. By the way, tire shops hate to repair tires with Slime in them. Very messy stuff.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Looks like I answered my own question last night. Went to work (yes I know Sat night!), to check on something. Stayed a little over an hour. Came out, sat on the bike and the rear tire was flat again. That's two flat rear tires within 6 days. It was about 9PM with thunderstorms all over the area and one of the folks there had a can of "Fix-a-Flat" (FaF), thought what the heck. Fill the tube in the tire with FaF and the goo came out the hole where the 1.5" dry wall screw was. Tire held the air from the can, I'm guessing tire PSI was between 15-20 psi. The gentleman who gave me the can said that's about all it's going to do so I slowed rolled (about 10 mph) about a mile or two up the road to a store that sells you 3 minutes of air for 75 cents. Tire gaged at 45 psi and held. Drove off slow and everything seemed normal. Stopped in a parking lot before the freeway, checked the tire for roundness and proceeded up the highway for 5 miles not exceeding 55 mph. Bike handled great, almost thought problem solved. Got off the freeway, tire still round and headed home the additional 3 miles. About a mile from the house, bike started getting mushy, checked the tire, and it was losing air. Arrived home with 5 psi in the tire. This AM, 0 psi

Lesson Learned:
- Fix a Flat works but you'll need to top off with additional air to get to 40+ psi
- It a solution for a couple of miles at best, probably not meant for hwy speeds
- Don't know what the inside of the tire will look like, but with two punctures in a week, I'm going to swap the tire out anyway Note: Bike is a R1200R Classic with spoked rims that use tubes.
- Last flat I had to wait a day for a tube to come in, since Ironhorse BMW didn't have any in stock. Smart me I ordered two, one for a spare. I don't know if that was a smart idea or was a jinx to get the second puncture within a week
- Looking for a fixture that extends 36" in front of the bike with a strong rare earth magnet. This way it'll pick up the nails and screws before I collect them in my rear tire.

Nuff Said
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In case you pick up another screw, nail, or whatever it might be, always leave the object in the tire with Slime or fix-a-flat. That may sound a little crazy if it's a nail which could remove itself but the object needs to stay in there as it helps plug the hole. With the object in the tire the sealer will almost always work as long as it can reach the puncture point.

post #6 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Try this: www.stopngo.com You can order on line from the site. I have used it twice. It is easy and really works, and you get a real fix that will get you to a dealer or where ever you need to go to get a permanent fix/replacement (I replaced the tire). In one of my unfortunate episodes, after being repaired with the kit, I rode it nearly 80 miles back to a dealer, got a new tire. It held air and presented no problems. The kit comes in it's own nice little pouch with CO2 cartridges but I would advise you to buy a couple of spare CO2's in case you have problems of any kind.
Good luck!
Dave

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2011, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Dave, I too have a stop n' go kit but it doesn't work with tube tires, just tubeless. And Dean, next time I'll leave the nail in. Hopefully probability will kick in soon and I won't have any more. I mean what the chances of three flats in two weeks?
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2011, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

The bad luck continues.....Got the flat Saturday night. Ironhorse is closed Sunday and Monday. Had my son drop off the flat Tuesday AM, called later that afternoon, the spare tube I bought the previous week was defective and wouldn't hold air. Additional tubes on order, they'll be in Thursday. Maybe I'll get to ride that night.

July 4th Nail in tire
July 6th Tire repaired
July 9th 1.5" drywall screw in tire
July 12th Tire sent in for repair, discovered spare tube was defective
July 14th Hopefully tire returned, totally round and holds air pressure
July 15th Who knows what next????

Stay tuned for continuing episodes of "As the Tire Turns"
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Hope this is the last of the tire issues for you!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #10 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Do you have one of the new RR's with the spoke wheels?

I have used the stop-n-go plugger 4 times now and it works very well for tubeless tires. I gave up on tube tires a long time ago because the were such a PITA.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Hope this is the last of the tire issues for you!

Hey Scott : how you liking th K1600?

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Yes Doug, I have a new 2011 R1200R Classic with spoked wheels. Had I known better I would not have gone with tubes. What can I say! I took a test drive on a 2009 R1200R and just had to have one. The one I purchased was still in the shipping crate when I sat down to make the deal. Needless to say it was love (lust) at first sight. Tube vs tubeless wasn't even on my mind or the salesperson lips. Now I know why they say love is blind. I still can't stop smiling every time I take her out for a ride. This weekend, speeding thru the twisties on AZ 83 to Sonoita, all the problems with the tires were a distant memory.

Skip
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherGoose
The bad luck continues.....Got the flat Saturday night. Ironhorse is closed Sunday and Monday. Had my son drop off the flat Tuesday AM, called later that afternoon, the spare tube I bought the previous week was defective and wouldn't hold air. Additional tubes on order, they'll be in Thursday. Maybe I'll get to ride that night.

July 4th Nail in tire
July 6th Tire repaired
July 9th 1.5" drywall screw in tire
July 12th Tire sent in for repair, discovered spare tube was defective
July 14th Hopefully tire returned, totally round and holds air pressure
July 15th Who knows what next????

Stay tuned for continuing episodes of "As the Tire Turns"
Tubes in a 1200 R ? .........really ?

BMW has been making the off set spoked wheels to allow the use of tubeless radials on their bikes for quite some time.

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 9:57 am

This stuff works like Slime, but cleans up with water and is not flammable like fix-a-flat.
http://www.ride-on.com/

It can be left in the tube all the time as an active sealant and balancing medium as well.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

I checked out the website for Ride-On and after 9 pages of happy customers it seems like a no brainer. Have you experience Ride On in tubes and did you get extended tire wear?

Skip
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Hey Skip,
I've wondered the same thing - particularly on the R1200R where there isn't any place to carry any type of repair kit. I've just hoped that I'm in a cell coverage area!

Scott--Just getting ready to pick up my new 1600GTL, but also looking at a R1200R Classic for solo rides. I am missing my old R1200C and wonder what your impression is of the R1200R. Similar ride and feel to the older boxers?

Buzz

Rocketbike
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 26th, 2016, 11:13 am

Red face Re: Flat Rear Tire on My R1200R

My new R1200RT LC has 16K KM (about 10K miles) and already four punctures on the rear tire.

Never before had I had more than one tire puncture in the life of a tire on any motorcycle.

I looked it up and the reviews for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 apart from being very positive do indicate they are prone to pucture.

Since roads here in Mexico are not brilliant and tend to be littered with stuff such as wires and such, I'm thinking I should change to a Bridgestone tire soon.

I did learn to use the portable injectable plugs and have seen them inside the tire, working just fine. Can't really see that a patch on the inside should necesarily be better, though the plug and then a patch does seem better. However, one of the patches applied included a ruber plug plus the patch all from the inside, so I guess that's also good practice.

Hope this is of interest to people looking these things up.

Ride safe.
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 27th, 2016, 12:38 pm

MotherGoose, since it is a new bike that you love, why not consider spending a little money and solve the problem partially. The below website is a premier motorcycle wheel shop. I believe they can re-lace a tubeless rim to your hubs, probably even BMW GS rims, the new ones and solve the tire choice problem. I personally will not consider a tube type motorcycle any longer (I do have a DR650, but it is only used locally). Besides dealing with flats, it is a good safety measure to use tubeless tires as they are safer in my opinion and a much larger selection is available. I too have seen a couple of new BMW models that I quickly discounted because of your issue.
Custom Motorcycle Wheels & Rims | Woody's Wheel Works | Denver, CO
I would also like to point out that riding on a flat tire for any length over a few seconds causes serious heat issues and trashes the tire. I have seen cross sections of tires ridden a half mile with no air and the inside visible damage is scary. One of the reasons Michelin says not to use a punctured tire if possible. Of course we all have plugged a tire and continued on major trips or even cheated and just used it.
I would like to suggest a string type tube kit for those who have tubeless tires, the string actually vulcanizes to your tire rubber. Not just glued in with rubber cement.
BestRest Products, LLC - CyclePump Tire Repair Kit
For those who can't find room under the seat for safety stuff, I suggest either a handlebar bag or a small day tank bag. Makes life easier in the long run.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in