GS Wind Protection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:01 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
GS Wind Protection

I didn't want to take the "Show Us Your Scoots" thread off on a tangent, so here goes.

How do you guys find the wind protection on the new GS bikes? I'm spoiled by the LT, until I have to turn away from a promising dirt road. (OK, until I get inn way too deep and am forced to turn around). I like the idea of a bike that's capable over a much broader range of roads and trails, but I'm afraid I'd hate it once I got back out on the highway.

How fast is comfortable on it? What mods have you made to increase highway comfort? I'm not questioning it's performance off road or in the twisties, but my brief test ride didn't allow me to really get the GS up to speed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:37 am

I "WAS" thinking the same thing

This question can certainly be answered better by others Ken and will be, but I just took out an 05 GS several weeks ago for several hours thinking the same thing you were; I'd been thinking about it for a while. Dual sporting sounded interesting to me.

Anyway, the end result was I found I lost way too much in comfort and "sheer enjoyment" in order to take advantage of those seemingly mysterious backroads.

The RT model, in my opinion, is a step down in comfort and refinement in comparison to the LT... and the GS is a less refined RT yet again in my opinion; just made for a little rougher roads. And I know the GS guys will disagree with me on this but that's way I felt about the GS in comparison to the LT.

That day, I took the GS off-road for a while too and I thought it was too big and heavy for the job. It can be done with this bike of course, but it doesn't need to be. It felt like an off-road RT - and I don't care for the RT.

IMHO... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This tool (the GS) doesn't fit my application (Phoenix Metro) in my opinion with the long open freeways and long distances between destinations. Of course, it may work for others better in other areas.
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 8:42 am

I've got a little over 3000 miles on my GS now.

It definately is NOT an LT.

Although, wind protection, is the only thing I find lacking on the slab and long days.

I have just upgraded to a CeeBaily's +2 wide +4 tall, but haven't had it out for a long ride yet. It does seem to help commuting.

Some guys on the advrider forum say that changing the windscreen and using tank paniers makes it comfy, other say, hey, its a GS.

If you know you're gonna stay on pavement, and spend lots of time on the slab, and wind protection is a big issue, I would probably stick with the LT or RT.

I traded in an FZ1 for the GS, and the GS has better wind protection than the FZ1. Its all relative. The GS is by far the best "Jack of all Trades" bike I've seen. If I never rode two up, and I could only have one bike, it would probably be the GS. I like it that much better for commuting and dirt/gravel roads. The LT is hands down the best superslab, luxo, pseudo sport, touring bike around.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
I've got a little over 3000 miles on my GS now.

It definately is NOT an LT.

Although, wind protection, is the only thing I find lacking on the slab and long days.
If you know you're gonna stay on pavement, and spend lots of time on the slab, and wind protection is a big issue, I would probably stick with the LT or RT.

I traded in an FZ1 for the GS, and the GS has better wind protection than the FZ1. Its all relative. The GS is by far the best "Jack of all Trades" bike I've seen. If I never rode two up, and I could only have one bike, it would probably be the GS. I like it that much better for commuting and dirt/gravel roads. The LT is hands down the best superslab, luxo, pseudo sport, touring bike around.
Thanks James ... many in my local club members are high on the GS, likely due to the number of off road opportunities in our neck of the woods. I've been considering a number of things as to my 'next' bike and this may be a likely candidate.
Thanks again,
V/R

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:01 am

Ken,

The GS is a blast to ride, kind of reminds me of why I fell in love with motorcycling in the first place.
I was surprised that the GS handles the open road well and is very stable once you improve on the wind screen. The stock wind screen tends to buffet a little to much. I Opted for a Cee Bailey +3 wide + 41/2 tall then added the touratech windscreen brace. This took care of the buffeting issue and gives a good pocket of air - but still allows air on your arms and shoulders.
Now Aeroflow has a set up that has lowers and a mega shield - I tried it out for a few miles and it works fantastic. But I felt if I was going to put that much fairing on the GS I could just ride my RT.

As for long days and comfort - I rode to Death Valley and back, it handled the 600 mile days well with the stock seat. I believe that 1000+ mile day would be possible after Rick does my seat up. The only draw back I see is that the GS will not give you the weather protection of a RT or LT no matter what you do to it. With good gear you can counter that somewhat.

I think you'll fall for the GS as bad as you fell for the LT, they both do so much well. There are a lot of IBA types that love these things and make them work for the long haul. If you can keep the LT and add the GS.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #6 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:09 am
TMH

Decided to get the GS out yesterday for a little ride - and it was so nice out that my "spin around the block" ended up being 215 miles!

I have tried a couple of different windscreens on my '02, and as said above it will never be an LT. The buzziness of the R motor in the GS's lighter overall package is another significant difference.

I am currently running a Cee Baileys Adventeuro windshield which is taller and wider: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1150gsadventeuro.html . This was actually the first ride of any distance I took with this windshield. Definitely much more wind blast to the helmet and the upper body than on the LT. Interesting thing was that there was also some "high frequency buffetting" I was feeling with this windshield combined with my new Schuberth C2. Got more used to it after a while, but it was still there at anything more than an indicated 70mph.

I also purchased a used Cee Baileys standard Adventure windshield, which is also taller and wider than the stock ADV windscreen: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1150gsadv.htm
I'll have to try this one out next to see if the buffetting is any better. I know that it was not an issue with my old CL-Max helmet, so we'll have to see if the Shuberth is the issue.

Here are a couple of gratuitous photos from yesterday's ride. Sure was nice out...

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	2108   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	2109   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	1716
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2110   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	2111  

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #7 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for the info so far, guys. I realize a GS is not an LT replacement, even though I know couples that do serious LD riding two up on a GS. I also am not looking for a primarily off-road bike, or I'd look more to KTM or maybe a DRZ400.

Basically, I'm kinda tired of having to turn the LT back whenever I get to a rutted dirt or deep gravel road. I've had this happen twice now on two LD rallies, and several times while just out on fun day rides. Discretion has won out so far and kept me out of trouble, but even when moving down an interstate I often look over at the dirt roads heading out into the wilderness or gravel shortcuts over the nearby mountains.

And as I'm getting pretty serious about the whole rally concept, I'm thinking about setting up a solo bike specifically for rallies. So comfort is a big issue, as is range and the ability to handle many different road and weather conditions. The LT is excellent for what it is designed for. but I just keep reaching its limits. I know the GS can be fitted out for almost whatever you want to do, but practical experience and advice is worth a lot.

The new lighter 1200GS is tempting, but I'm also sure I can find a great deal on an 1150 that has already been heavily accessorized. Or maybe just wait and see how the new K12GT feels. There's no hurry, but sometimes these things take time to figure out.

And I'll be keeping the LT for two-up work, and those 1,000 mile commutes of mine. At least until the '07 LTs are out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 1:38 pm

Meese,

If range is a consideration, definately keep an eye out for the older 1150 GS ADV. It bigger tank will help you out there.

For your average person, dirt/gravel roads are about all a GS is good for. Too big/heavy for the rough stuff, unless you have some really good skills.

My (05 R1200GS) bike has about 150 - 170 miles when the light comes on and computer says I can eek out 200-220 on a tank, but I'm pretty conservative.
Keep an eye on www.advrider.com in the forum section is GSpot, dedicated to the GS models. Lots of good info there too.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #9 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Oh, there would definitely be an aux fuel tank involved.

I've been perusing the ADVRider ride tales section (Striking Viking, Mike ), Vance, etc.) for some time, but haven't spent much time in the other forums yet. I'll look for GSpot and lurk for a while. Thanks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 2:14 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
Meese,

If range is a consideration, definately keep an eye out for the older 1150 GS ADV. It bigger tank will help you out there.

For your average person, dirt/gravel roads are about all a GS is good for. Too big/heavy for the rough stuff, unless you have some really good skills.

My (05 R1200GS) bike has about 150 - 170 miles when the light comes on and computer says I can eek out 200-220 on a tank, but I'm pretty conservative.
Keep an eye on www.advrider.com in the forum section is GSpot, dedicated to the GS models. Lots of good info there too.
On yesterday's ride (much of which was at only about 65 indicated) my fuel level had only dropped about 2 bars at a little over 100 miles, and I still had 3-4 bars remaining at 205 miles (and that was with about 60 freeway miles at ~80+ indicated, into a headwind, and with that big Adventeuro windscreen).

Keeping lower speeds for the remainder of this fill, I might be getting close to 300 miles before I run dry. Bike is an 1150 Adventure, with the larger tank. I was really surprised at how slowly the bars "went away" on the RID.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #11 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 2:41 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Oh, there would definitely be an aux fuel tank involved.

I've been perusing the ADVRider ride tales section (Striking Viking, Mike ), Vance, etc.) for some time, but haven't spent much time in the other forums yet. I'll look for GSpot and lurk for a while. Thanks.
Don't forget the new GS Adventure has an 8.7 gallon fuel tank out of the box.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #12 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2006, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Don't forget the new GS Adventure has an 8.7 gallon fuel tank out of the box.
So another 2.8 gallons puts me right at the IBA limit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:24 am

Smile

I see this same type of post on so many of the forums. "Is this bike better than that one?" "Is this one more comfortable?" Personnally, I don't think there is a perfect bike out there. There are a lot of great ones and they perform somewhat different functions. If you can only have one, the best you can end up with is a jack of all trades - kinda like the GS. Life is all about compromises unless you get a garage full of bikes. I'm trying for that last option myself!
It's kind of like when you get married. If you wanted the perfect mate you would never stop looking. There is always someone more beautiful or richer/smarter, etc. I think you end up getting married for more intangible reasons, like love, shared experiences, shared likes. Same with bikes. There is always a better one in our heads. One we fantasize will make us cooler or faster or take us better places. But truthfully most of the bikes made today are worthy of keeping. Heck, most anything sold today is capable of taking you anywhere you want to go on earth. The nice thing about motorcycles is that you can have more than one and still live together.
Just have fun with whatever one(s) you choose. None of them are perfect.
post #14 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:42 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
True enough Dan. But at least we have the shared communal experience to help us in the decision process. You can always ask a mate how she feels, how well she rides, if they'd take her out again. Sorry, got distracted there for a minute.

In this case, I'm considering a certain bike (GS) to do a certain job (LD Rally bike). I know several members here have GS's, and some of them have LD experience as well. Since we share a common experience in the LT I figured that would be a good starting point. Plus I'm specifically concerned about certain limitations of the LT that I've found when using it for Rallies, and while I know the GS well by its stellar reputation, I have some concern about the tradeoffs I may be making. I've found that real world advice such as freely offered here is worth much more than any magazines or dealers may provide. But in the end I'll just have to try it and see how it works for me.

And I'd be keeping the LT (or it's upcoming replacement) for two-up tours. You're right, it's much easier to have multiple bikes . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:02 pm.
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Well Ken, this is a little premature as I only have a couple of hundred miles on my new to me GS.

I rode the LT up I 5 to a meeting point and rode the GS back. About 250 miles each way. The wind protection compared to the LT is pretty much non existent. I wear a Shoei full face which is supposed to be a quiet helmet, but is is not up to the task at 80 mph.

That is the end of the bad news, and I kinda expected it going in. This bike is fun. It is amazing how much of a difference loosing a few hundred pounds makes. Lane splitting was a gas. Great visibility due to the high seat and quick response.

This bike came with a 10.9 gallon tank and at 160 miles I was only down one bar on the gas gauge. I think you could do a SS with only a stop in the middle, if your bladder is up to the task.

With the right windscreen and good gear for weather, I thing this would be a great LD bike.

Come on down for a ride.

Jim

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #16 of 25 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:22 pm

I am so glad you are happy with it. Cee baileys as well as others have more protection. I was wondering how you would feel about that, and the loss of cruise control. I love the LT. It IS EXACTLY what my wife and I needed. She thanks you for the rear seat. If any questions come up let me know, and I will try to get some goodies in the mail on Monday. What range were you getting per tank anyway? And how accurate is the "miles to go"????
post #17 of 25 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

slight hijack...

I think the tank is 6 with the last 1/2 gallon being reserve. I usually started looking for a station around the 200 or 210 mark. Since I recalibrated the BC, the miles to go is pretty good if you are riding in a consistant manner throughout the tank. Reset the function at each fillup for better results.

Glad the wife is happy.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #18 of 25 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 4:03 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
The LT tanks is 6.3 gallons, though I did squeeze 6.5 into it once. Reserve is kind of a misnomer as it's just when the light comes on, which is a bit less than a gallon for me. I average 40 mph at California freeway speeds, so at 240 miles I'm on fumes and looking for a station. If you keep at the speed limit and are more gentle with the right hand, you'll get 50+ mpg and 300+ miles on a tank. It's just not as much fun.

Enjoy your new bikes, both of you. And don't be a stranger, Jim.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 25 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Wind, what wind !

I don't understand ? I owned my R12GS for a short period of time, but while I still had that key in my pocket, that bad boy was usually first out of the gate ! My other bike had battery problems, cause I did not ride it very much!

I was so hooked on that bike, probably like none other I have ever owned. The feeling it inspired, the confidence it provided and the security it proposed while on the road, made me feel like a warrior with body armor, where roads in curves were assumed to be coated with glue, and the power at my fingertips made me feel like we could escape any situation with ease, definitely untouchable !

Yes, a bunch of crap... perhaps, but as we know, we all must ride within our limits, but that bike can definitely push you outside those limits with confidence, and pride..

AS for the wind ? When I took my East Coast trip this past summer, I rode that sucker like the wind, and never noticed that it was in my face, but mostly trying to catch-up with me.. What I mean, is I enjoyed the experience so much, even when a little bit of rain attempted to dampen my ride, I never even thought, or noticed the dreaded lack of wind protection.

Perhaps my trusty Garmin GPS on the left, my 'forever-with-me' XM Roady-2 on the right, the aftermarket installed cruise control, and/or the Cee Bailey windshield helped me keep out those nasty thoughts of no wind protection ?

I miss that bike, please don't ask why it's gone, but some lucky rider in CO now understands, and probably doesn't notice the lack of wind protection either !

You guys ride safe out there !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #20 of 25 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I'll throw my .02 in if only to reiterate the points above that struck home. The short answer is, I had an 1150adv... wrecked it and am buying another this week! They're that much fun!
Like John said, the GS brings home a certain "wow, I'm on a motorCYCLE again" feel. A good, visceral, organic bike feel that the plushness of the LT takes away.
The wind can be managed to your taste, from simply a Laminar lip to a full "popemobile" plexi fairing. Only you, with your own ergos can iron that out.
I do miss the cruise control on the long trips! Again, that can be addressed in the aftermarket.

Yes, your comfortable top cruising speed will be likely lower. Oh well, you'll adjust! I did a couple 800+mi. days this summer. I think that possibly I was less tired on the GS than the LT because of the lower weight and lower CoG.

I would never describe the GS as a dirt bike. It is a "dirt road" bike. Even *some* jeep trail. Unless you're Jimmy Lewis or have SERIOUS offroad cred, it's not gonna be pretty in the rough stuff.

I will be heading straight to Rick Mayers place asap with the new bike! A seat definitly makes an LD warhorse outta this bike! Barbacks also but again, ergos are highly personal.

The 1150 can take either the 8g adv tank or the touratech 10g! You call it!
IIRC the 8.7g noted for the new 12GSA was a misprint. Real life, it's 7.3g I *think*.

For a pure LD machine, I'd like the shorter standard 1150GS w/ an oversize tank, popemobile screen and highway ottomans on the crashbars!

As always... YMMV!

Oh... BTW, that gravel road that disappears off to the left?

That's the road to the really cool campsites!
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:48 pm

My GS...

I've put 18,000 miles on my GS since Christmas 04. I love it. I've got a laminar lip (i think that's what they call it) on the stock windshield and it works just fine. Yeah, more wind & more getting pushed around on the GS than the LT... but I *love* it.

I've done several cross-country trips with the GS and will one day do a RTW with it.

post #22 of 25 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:59 pm
psh

Red face New R1200GS

I knew the windscreen thing would be a problem for me. I sold the LT and bought the GS anyway after reading all the posts and hassles about getting the right screen. Can airflow ruin a bike that is awesome. I guess so. In 2 weeks I have tried the stock, the Cee Bailey 3" X 3" bigger, the Wunderlich flowjet, and now the Ztech screen. So far, the Ztech wins the race, fully tilted back. Tobinators are on order and I am praying for their performance as described by users. I want my GS and I want clean air. Is that so much to ask. BMW could solve this, but I guess this will just remain a mystery to us all. I absolutely love this motorcycle. WE WILL SEE.
Peter
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:41 am

Peter,

If you have to have clear air on the GS I believe the Aeroflow is the only full system that is going to work for you........

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:15 am

Cool Summer Heat

A friend installed one on his GS.

He reports that it solved all of his problems, but, except for the air that still gets to his outer shoulder & upper arms, there will be no air flow anywhere else, so he may reinstall his factory screen for summer use/comfort...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #25 of 25 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 2:47 pm
psh

Tobinators and ZTec

I am very pleased to report that I was able to almost completely eliminate turbulance with the Tobinators and a Ztec screen. I tested it today again and was extremely pleased with the smooth airflow. I little over 1000 miles on my new GS and tried, a CeeBailey +3+3, a tiny sport shield from Wunderlich and the stock. Ordered the Tobinators from Nippy Norman's in England and purchased the Ztec (spelling?????) from BMW Ventura. Great combination of modifications. I don't understand how it works, but the Tobinators and the shield about 1/2 way back is just about right. All the way up there is still some vibrational buffeting. I purchased a new and my favorite Shoei RF 1000 and that is even better than the Arai Corsair. So I think I am there. Until I read of someone trying a better combination. Anyone try the new Parabellum??
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in