New member with R1200ST questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

New member with R1200ST questions

I'm hoping to buy a 2005 R1200ST in the near future, but I haven't had the opportunity to ride one yet. I'm going to make it down to San Diego next weekend where the local dealer has one that I can take for a test ride. I'm wondering if anyone here can give me any first hand feedback on this model. Wondering if there's anything I should be aware of on this model such as known problems, quirks, etc. Also, I'm curious about the power assisted brakes, which I think this bike has. How are they compared to standard brakes? Do you really need power assist on a lightweight sport touring bike? I've heard they're a bit noisy when actuated - any opinions? How is the handling in the twisties with the Telelever front end - vague or precise? Is the stock seat good for all day rides? (I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs). How aggressive is the seat/handlebar position? (I've been riding a Suzuki SV1000S with Helibars) Were there any recalls I should be aware of? I know a lot of this is very subjective, but I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:52 pm

Re: New member with R1200ST questions

I just bought a 2005 Silver R1200ST. I had some work done at BMW Orlando so I got the opportunity to ride it home to Savannah, GA, about 300 miles.
I rode it in sun, rain, daylight and dark and I am very impressed with the bike. The lighting is great, the power is very impressive, and the brakes are STRONG. I've had an RS so the riding position is very similar. The stock seat is so comfortable I will keep it, at least until I go on a multi day trip and find out otherwise.
Like I said, I'm impressed with the bike. I don't like the weight or extra plastic of an RT and I want a little more wind protection than an R, so this bike suits me fine.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Went down to San Diego today and rode a relatively low mileage red and black ST. It's the perfect bike for me! The ergos are just right, I love the power band, the suspension is very compliant without being mushy and my wife likes the passenger seat, unlike the one on my SV1000S (aka the "torture rack").

I Found an ST in Chicago with only 5k miles on it and decided to buy it. I'll be flying out on the 9th of July and riding it back via Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon and then California back to L.A. It's going to be quite an adventure! I'm taking about 8 or 9 days to make the trip. If anyone knows any good sights or roads they can recommend along that route, I'm all ears.

Gary

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Garage

This is probably a bit too far north for where you are riding, but if you are anywhere near US 12 in northern Idaho, it is a beautiful ride (Lolo Pass).

I know the area around southwest South Dakota has a reputation for Sturgis, but the roads are also very nice and the scenery is spectacular around the Black Hills. The Needles highway offers some amazing views of the area.

You can't go wrong with the states you picked. If you can get north into Montana, there are lots more good roads there.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Timothy Allen
2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:23 am

Congrats on your buy.
I bought an 05 r1200st in sept. I have put 3k on it already. 1 month. Just got back yesterday from 1227 mi round trip to texas hill country.
The only complaint I have about this bike is the seat. I am 5'8, 170lb. The seat forces me to be up against the tank. To sit back further, I must keep my arms extended and locked to keep my body back, because of the slope of the seat. The rear seat is a nightmare for a passenger. Holding on to the rear seat frame is the only way to keep body from sliding into mine. From what I can tell, it is the stock seat. I can't believe how BMW will do so much for their bikes, but put a piece of crap like that on their bike. I could take it off and sit on a cushion and be better off. Hey. Theres a thought.
The brakes are spectacular. I will never buy anything again without abs. They saved me several times in the hill country from having to lay it down, or go over the rail into a canyon.
The acceleration is phenomenal, cornering is very agile once you get the feel of it.
The bike is slightly top heavy, or feels so. Maybe because of the cylinder jugs hanging out.
It is not an easy bike to do a uturn in tight quarters. That maneuver definitely takes some practice.
My ride came with a Z-Technik windshield. Do not go there. At normal sitting position it deflects the wind directly at the chin of my helmet. The only way to deter severe buffetting is to lean over on the tank. That is comfy for a while, but gets a little hard on the breast bone. I put on a new Parabellum 16" just last nite, and have not yet tested it out. That will be today.
OK. You all take care. Keep it upright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in