Bob - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 29th, 2010, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Bob

Help! I just bought a 2004 R1200CLC. Love the look, love the ride. I bought it without an owners manual, have it ordered. I have put about 1000 miles on the bike, and decided I had better check the oil. I can not find the dipstick!!! I have no BMW dealers within 100 miles of me.. Does anyone know how I check it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 29th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Bob

There is a site glass to check the oil level. I believe it is on the left side just below the head. It is about 1 inch in diameter. Check with the bike on the center stand.
If the bike is over filled or very low on oil it may be hard to tell if it has oil or not. If glass is clear lean the bike to that side then look to see if any oil is in the glass.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 3 Old May 30th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Re: Bob

While you are waiting for the manual, here's the pertinent text from same. (slightly abriviated)

Check at regular operating temp.

Check after engine has been stopped for 5 minutes (to allow for drainback from the heads)

Check with the bike upright (which pretty much requires a helper, to avoid disaster).

Maximum is the top of the ring in the sight glass under the left side cylinder
Minimum is the bottom of the ring. Difference between top and bottom is .53 quarts.

When the oil and filter are freshly changed the level will likely be above the upper ring. (go figure on the engineering on that detail)

As soon as the oil has been used for a few miles it will be dark enough to avoid the uncertainty of oil/no oil mentioned in katnapinn's post.

Jim

Woodbridge, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in