Who has a R75/6 I can ask questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Who has a R75/6 I can ask questions

Do you have an R75/6 that I can ask questions about? I just bought a 1976 R75/6 and have a couple questions

Thanks
Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:37 am

Re: Who has a R75/6 I can ask questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Do you have an R75/6 that I can ask questions about? I just bought a 1976 R75/6 and have a couple questions

Thanks
Garry
I owned a 1971 R75/5 for 18 years, best motor cycle I ever owned.
Sonny

Sonny
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Quote:

Thanks
Garry
Just pop in with the Qs -- the /5, /6, /7's are all similar, and I've had at least one of each. Plenty of folks here to try to help.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Like Mark said, ask away, there's a lot of former airhead riders over here.

I'll go ahead and answer some of the more common questions,
No you can't "split the cases",
and you can't wear them out,

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Thanks
Garry
A bunch of us here can help. Fire away.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a 74 R90/6 , 71 R75/5 back when they were new..
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

First time tonight I had a problem, When I pushed the started button I hear a click of a relay in the headlamp housing, but the starter motor did not turn over. I pushed it down a bit of a hill at the resturant in 2nd and it started right up. I think a loose wire somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #8 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Quote:
First time tonight I had a problem, When I pushed the started button I hear a click of a relay in the headlamp housing, but the starter motor did not turn over. I pushed it down a bit of a hill at the resturant in 2nd and it started right up. I think a loose wire somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Garry
How fresh is the battery? Unless it has been replaced, the /6 has the biggest, heaviest boat-anchor of a Bosch starter under the top cover, and it draws a *huge* amount of current (of course, many will say it's greatly preferred over the later light Valeo starters that would regularly shed their magnets and lock up the starter!). Obviously, my first suspicion is a run down or dying battery. In such a condition the battery may have enough juice to light the lights and cause the starter relay to pull in its contact, but not enough left to turn over the starter motor. Have it load tested after an overnight charge to check condition.

If the battery is good (and assuming that the bike then starts normally), then proceed to check out your charging system. Does the red generator light on the dash have a soft glow? After initial start up and raising the rpm's for the first time over ~1500 rpm, the light should go out. If not, time to read up on Snowbum's airhead charging system treatise.

Other possibilities: Loose or corroded connections between the battery and the starter or the battery and ground. Starting at the battery, check all the connections. The positive cable goes forward under the tank to the starter relay, and then into the top of the engine casing. In addition to the battery and starter connections, pull the plug off the bottom of the relay and inspect the relay contacts and the female contacts in the plug -- a common area of corrosion build-up. A mild warning on the ground cable -- the bottom of the cable is attached to the transmission by a bolt. The bolt has a hole in it -- a vent which must be kept clear (and thus not relaced with just "any" bolt). The bolt is also easy to strip out of the soft aluminum tranny case if too much tighening torque is applied. (and while you are down in that area, inspect the rubber boot on the speedo drive cable -- a well-know point of tranny-destroying water ingress).

Also, if for some reason you remove the engine front cover (for example, chasing down a charging issue) you MUST disconnect the battery ground before hand -- if you do not and you contact the cover to the bike and the electrics inside, the resulting dead short can fry the diode board - $$$.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 7:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
How fresh is the battery? Unless it has been replaced, the /6 has the biggest, heaviest boat-anchor of a Bosch starter under the top cover, and it draws a *huge* amount of current (of course, many will say it's greatly preferred over the later light Valeo starters that would regularly shed their magnets and lock up the starter!). Obviously, my first suspicion is a run down or dying battery. In such a condition the battery may have enough juice to light the lights and cause the starter relay to pull in its contact, but not enough left to turn over the starter motor. Have it load tested after an overnight charge to check condition.

If the battery is good (and assuming that the bike then starts normally), then proceed to check out your charging system. Does the red generator light on the dash have a soft glow? After initial start up and raising the rpm's for the first time over ~1500 rpm, the light should go out. If not, time to read up on Snowbum's airhead charging system treatise.
The red generator light performs as you explain and the battery looks good.

Quote:
Other possibilities: Loose or corroded connections between the battery and the starter or the battery and ground. Starting at the battery, check all the connections. The positive cable goes forward under the tank to the starter relay, and then into the top of the engine casing. In addition to the battery and starter connections, pull the plug off the bottom of the relay and inspect the relay contacts and the female contacts in the plug -- a common area of corrosion build-up. A mild warning on the ground cable -- the bottom of the cable is attached to the transmission by a bolt. The bolt has a hole in it -- a vent which must be kept clear (and thus not relaced with just "any" bolt). The bolt is also easy to strip out of the soft aluminum tranny case if too much tighening torque is applied. (and while you are down in that area, inspect the rubber boot on the speedo drive cable -- a well-know point of tranny-destroying water ingress).
I see in the manual there is a starter relay under that tank. I do not hear a click from that relay when I push the button, I hear a click from a relay in the head lamp casing. I suspect that relay shuts off the other electrical devices that are not needed when starting to give more juice for the starter. I also see there are switches in the clutch and the tranny for neutral. Oh well, I guess I better start pulling things apart and find out what the problem is.

Quote:
Also, if for some reason you remove the engine front cover (for example, chasing down a charging issue) you MUST disconnect the battery ground before hand -- if you do not and you contact the cover to the bike and the electrics inside, the resulting dead short can fry the diode board - $$$.
I read this in the manual, Hope I don't forget at some point.

Thanks
Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 9:26 am

Quote:
The red generator light performs as you explain and the battery looks good.

I see in the manual there is a starter relay under that tank. I do not hear a click from that relay when I push the button, I hear a click from a relay in the head lamp casing. I suspect that relay shuts off the other electrical devices that are not needed when starting to give more juice for the starter. I also see there are switches in the clutch and the tranny for neutral. Oh well, I guess I better start pulling things apart and find out what the problem is.

I read this in the manual, Hope I don't forget at some point.

Thanks
Garry
While trouble shooting the electrical system do not jump the motorcycle off with battery removed then run it without battery connected,,it will fry the diode board-- BTDT.
Sonny

Sonny
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My /7 did the click, click, click routine recently. The battery seemed good at first but when load tested, it had a shorted plate.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Starter solenoid under the gas tank probably has corroded contacts. It is on the left side toward the front.
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperra
Starter solenoid under the gas tank probably has corroded contacts. It is on the left side toward the front.
Tank is off, Ordered a new starter relay. Wiggled the wires on the starter and it started when I pushed the starter button.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #14 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Tank is off, Ordered a new starter relay. Wiggled the wires on the starter and it started when I pushed the starter button.

Garry
Just checking -- you confirmed it's the relay, and not a problem with the wires or space connectors? Your comment about starting after wiggling the wires makes me wonder whether the issue is wiring, not a faulty relay.

Have you bench-tested the relay to see whether it trips when 12V & ground are applied to the 85/86 terminals?

Just trying to save you a few bux if the relay's not the problem.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Just checking -- you confirmed it's the relay, and not a problem with the wires or space connectors? Your comment about starting after wiggling the wires makes me wonder whether the issue is wiring, not a faulty relay.

Have you bench-tested the relay to see whether it trips when 12V & ground are applied to the 85/86 terminals?

Just trying to save you a few bux if the relay's not the problem.
Looks like an original relay, if not it is old. Once I get the new relay I will check out all the wiring. This bike will be my wifes when she is confident with it and I don't want her stuck not being able to start it.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #16 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 5:25 pm

Quote:
This bike will be my wifes when she is confident with it
Garry
Well, that gives you what...5-6 years?...to figure out the wiring issue.

(Just kidding, S!!!)

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:00 pm

....A great machine you bought.
Most of the electrical connections will benefit from cleaning and lube once in a while.
Heat sink paste under the heat sink under the tank.........
Join the Airheads and you'll get answers, history of why it's the answer, and in general more help than you want.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #18 of 21 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
Well, that gives you what...5-6 years?...to figure out the wiring issue.

(Just kidding, S!!!)
Hey DarkMeister your avatar more suits you now....

(Just kidding..... I Think. See you Tuesday)

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Heat sink paste under the heat sink under the tank...
What heat sink are you talking about?

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #20 of 21 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 8:04 am

Quote:
What heat sink are you talking about?

Garry
None that I'm aware of -- the /6's didn't have electronic ignition, so no heat paste under an electronic module under the tank like the later bikes.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #21 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:

Thanks
Garry

I had a 1972 R 75-6 for 3 years, wish I still had it, best bike I ever had and a lot of great memories with it. Don't know if I can answer any questions, but try me. I sold the bike in '76 and got a R 90 S, a nice bike as well, wish I had it as well..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in