Aeroflow or Cee Bailey windscreen for 1150GS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Aeroflow or Cee Bailey windscreen for 1150GS?

What are the feelings about the better windscreen for the 1150GS? The Aero is about $450 and the Cee is about $430. The Aero has lowers, the Cee does not. The Cee has an easily replaceable summer/winter screen if you want to have the two- no hardware change-out necessary.

I don't know more differences than that. These are the two I've narrowed it down to. I've heard the Aero blocks so much wind many people don't care for them in the summer. Might depend on how much long distance or rain you might run into, I suppose too.

Thanks for any input.

J-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:12 am

Aeroflow or Cee Bailey windscreen for 1150GS?

I also have been trying to make the same decision for my 1150 GSA. I would like to know which one you choose and why.

chip
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 8:14 pm

Thumbs up R1150GS Windscreen

I chose the Cee Bailey for my 2004 Adventure in a gray tint. I also installed some Tobinators which allow adjustment of the screen angle and height. So far I've been happy with the combination, although I haven't taken it on any long trips yet. Good luck with your decision.

Kent Cerrone
'02 K1200LTE - Pacific Blue
'04 R1150GS Adventure - Silver/Red
'97 HD FXDWG Wide Glide - Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Why did you choose the Cee? Does it not adjust out of the box? Guess I didn't know that.

Sometimes I think the Aeroflow looks a little much with the lower fairing. I think the clear lowers look better than the dark from what I've seen.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:47 am

Thumbs up R1150GS Windscreen

I chose the Cee mainly because of the color options. Mine is a light gray tint and I got a light blue tint for my LT. It's also a little larger than stock and looks good on the Adventure. The windscreen is not really adjustable without the Tobinators since it attaches directly. The Tobinators attach where the windscreen was and the screen attaches to them.

Kent Cerrone
'02 K1200LTE - Pacific Blue
'04 R1150GS Adventure - Silver/Red
'97 HD FXDWG Wide Glide - Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

The definitive report

Another post recommended this site. I found a report on windscreens for the GS there. It should be very helpful in making our decision.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2841
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:40 pm

That Advrider thread is great. I have had the Aeroflow on my 1150 Adv. (the Pope mobile ) It is a great shield for weather other than hot summer. I comes with the wind blockers in front of the tank. They are very effective. You could probably take them off and get a good breeze in the warm months. I take the Pope mobile off in the summer and run with a small GS screen or nothing at all. I like the undisturbed air a bunch in the mountains, and I don't break anything on rough roads and lay downs. However, when winter comes, you cannot beat the protection offered by the complete Aero system for the GS. I'm glad I have it. I makes the bike completely useable (comfortable) throughout the winter. Change around time is maybe a half hour twice per year. YMMV

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 9:08 pm

I bought an 02 GSa with a CeeB on it I experienced bad buffeting till I did a few mods. I slotted out the front holes so it would lay back a little more and opened up the asymetric opening at the base to a symetric shape. I'm 90% happy with it now. Still considering going to the full popemobile shield. LT spoiled me rotten with protection. The aero has been the gold standard for years. I think CB is now making one too.
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 9:52 pm

I just bought a GS which has the (high) cee baileys on it. Fiest impression is that it flops around quite a bit in crosswinds. There is no helmet buffeting and I can see over it easily (I'm 6'2"). The Aeroflow (a friend has it) gives you much better protection.
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:06 am

Hi, Frank! Beautiful bike! Congratulations! What a great day for riding...we did Squaw Pass, Oh My God road, and Golden Gate Canyon.

When I get my popemobile on I'll contact you and you can ride it to see what you think.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Ride n Hike

My sweetie and I have been going for some great ride n hikes. The GS outfitted with Jesse bags is so suited for the trip. We went up near Glen Haven by the Boy Scout Camp on the north fork of the big thompson river. Other trip up Lion Gulch. There is a historic area up there from land grants circa 1880 where there are about a dozen cabins and 2 sawmills. 2.5 mile hike to the meadows.

Fun stuff.

On the windscreen front, I learned the tall Cee Baileys has 1/4" plastic but the small and medium have 3/16" thick plastic. More stable I'm sure. I think I like the medium Cee with tank panniers for better leg protection.

I'm trying to find out the name of the guy who had the tank panniers at the Paonia rally. He was next to the Rider Gadgets guy across from the band stage. Does anyone know who I'm talking about. He had some new zipper design that had two rubber flaps that ripped together and sealed out the weather. He said the ski industry is using the zipper on their stuff too.

J-
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Hi, Frank! Beautiful bike! Congratulations! What a great day for riding...we did Squaw Pass, Oh My God road, and Golden Gate Canyon.

When I get my popemobile on I'll contact you and you can ride it to see what you think.
Great. Looking forward to it. --Frank
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:54 am

Aeroflow vs. the others....for GS

I tried the slightly larger givi for the GS...great around town, too much buffeting on long trips. (I am 6'3")
Next the parabellum, a buffeting bonanza, money back without a problem.
Bought the Aeroflow, slightly blemished but could not locate it, also purchased the shield with the half fairing.
Results: 12,000 miles of great comfort and little buffeting.It is as others have noted, quite hot in the summer...but at speeds over 60 it is fine.Difficult to clean perfectly because of the two pieces but plastic polish works well. The only other complaint is that the half fairing blocks the potential installation of some of the aftermarket lighting bars.
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:43 am
TMH

I am using the Cee Baileys shields since I bought them used at ~$125 instead of at retail!

I first bought the Standard Adventure Shield, in +4 height +2 width and light tint. That worked better than the stock one (I am 6'4"), but I thought that I might want even more protection. So I found a used CB Adventeuro shield and bought it. That one was even better from the protection standpoint and my HJC CL-Max helmet. But when I took a ride wearing my Schuberth C2 I had really noticeable high frequency buffeting at any speed above an indicated 70 mph. So that combination of my height, the Adventeuro and the specific aerodynamics of the C2 did not work for me, and I went back to the first CB.

I think that it is more a feature/characteristic of the C2 as I feel some of the same vibrations/buffeting even on the LT or the RT-P. Especially when I have the face shield cracked open. But it was just too much with the Adventeuro on the GS.

So if anyone is interested in a CB Adventeuro windscreen for an R1150GS-ADV for $125 shipped (lower 48) just let me know.

Here's a pic of the bike with the Adventeuro:

And I've attached one with the CB Standard Adventure Shield.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-GS Snow2.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2641  

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:54 pm
psh

Smile I have 800 miles on my new 1200GS

I knew the windscreen thing would be a problem for me. I sold the LT and bought the GS anyway after reading all the posts and hassles about getting the right screen. Can airflow ruin a bike that is awesome. I guess so. In 2 weeks I have tried the stock, the Cee Bailey 3" X 3" bigger, the Wunderlich flowjet, and now the Ztech screen. So far, the Ztech wins the race, fully tilted back. Tobinators are on order and I am praying for their performance as described by users. I want my GS and I want clean air. Is that so much to ask. BMW could solve this, but I guess this will just remain a mystery to us all. I absolutely love this motorcycle. WE WILL SEE.
Peter
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:06 am Thread Starter

At first I was going to order the Cee Bailey for my 1150GS, but after hearing time and time again how much engineering Aeroflow puts into their screens, and how happy I was with the one on my F650, I decided to go with Aeroflow.

I'm very glad I did. I can finally ride with my helmet visor open at speed. Only a good cross wind brings noise into the helmet. Our VOX finally works well on the Intercom.

I don't know about the 1200GS, but based on past performance, I like Aeroflow.

J-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in