Drilling weep hole on other BMWs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Drilling weep hole on other BMWs?

I have read that some people here drill the clutch housing to keep a seal leak from filling the cavity up with fluid and ruining the clutch. Can this be done on other BMWs such as the R1200C?
A family member has an R1200C that has a leaky engine seal and the dealer has said that it will eventually ruin the clutch. She is not in a position financially right now to get the seal replaced but I would be willing to drill this hole for her in the clutch housing if it is possible on this bike and if it would help.
I know this is not the correct forum for a question about an "R" bike, but this is the only forum where I have seen any info about this procedure. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Re: Drilling weep hole on other BMWs?

Hi Gabriel,I have only drilled weep holes on my LT.Both slave cylinder housing and clutch housing.No big deal to do it,about 4-5 hours of work including slave cylinder replacement and clutch line bleeding.It may save a lot of work if I notice fluid coming out the slave housing,as that is a sign of either a leaky slave cylinder or rear transmission seal (not output seal!) and fix that before oil reaches and ruins the clutch.As for the clutch housing,I really do not know what good will do other than it gives you access to spray some break cleaner to wash the clutch components from time to time.I will look at my R1200C later today or tomorrow and give my opinion about drilling holes on it if nobody else has by than.Robert.

Four wheels move the body,two wheels move the soul.

2004 R1200CL Silver - Torquey
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 2:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had a leaking rear main seal on my R80 for several months before I finally got around to changing it. I don't think there is any place to drill a hole there that would help. It never did contaminate the clutch. The difference then was I could do the job in my driveway in one afternoon comapared to the LT which will take a full weekend to do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Gabriel, go on the Chromeheads.org site (dedicated to the R1200C) and search for the answer. If you don't find it then ask. There are some really competent people there and they will know for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in