Which 2nd bike. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Which 2nd bike.

Hi Guys,

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what my needs are, but in this case, I may want to move outside my own box for suggestions.

Some here know my riding style, physical size, and most of my preferences, so I won't regrind those. Just let me know your TCW.

Basically, I always felt I wanted an R1100S as a second sportier ride that can handle some gear. However, the GS is appealing as well. The choice would be in the 2001-2004 vintage.

So, my question is, which one and why.

Also, please stick to these 2 Beemers if you would. If I go strictly the sportier route, I realize my options open up into an SV, older Aprilia, older Duc, any Jap 600R. Just wanted to see the groups opinion on the the GS vs R1100S.

Thanks a ton.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Which 2nd bike.

Hey, John. I don't know you or your riding style, but I always have an opinion. I have a friend who loves his R1100S and the way it carves the twisties. If it were me however, I would lean toward the GS because while not quite as sporty, it is more "flickable" than the LT on pavement and when the gravel or dirt roads beckon, it is perfectly at home there as well. JMTCW. I wish I had your dilemma. All I can say is see how many test rides of each type you can finagle, and let us know where you land.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 8:27 pm

I don't know how you like to ride, but check out the ultimate "old man's sportbike" - The Ducati Mutlistrada - perfect compliment to an out and out touring bike. Tremendous fun and (mine has been) bulletproof over three seasons of active riding.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old May 1st, 2009, 4:39 pm

The GS is so light and nimble, so you can still throw it around. You sit up straighter than on an R1100S so when you get old and frail you will be able to ride the GS.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #5 of 31 Old May 1st, 2009, 5:58 pm

Might want to ride an RT just to see.. If you want to get dirty, then a GS.
If you really want to get off road, Then maybe an F650.
I sure like my RT. It's plenty comfy, Plenty fast, And as I've said many times.
I'd kill myself on a GT.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 31 Old May 1st, 2009, 7:11 pm

I don't think you could go wrong either way. I'd like to see you on a motard

If you don't plan on going on gravel roads or offroad, I'd go with the S.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 31 Old May 1st, 2009, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
I don't think you could go wrong either way. I'd like to see you on a motard

If you don't plan on going on gravel roads or offroad, I'd go with the S.

You know though Neil, I think the S would rail through gravel and hard pack dirt just fine.

On the Motard, ever since I got my ass handed to me by a Can-Am at Road Atlanta, I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe a KTM. Just can't find one priced $5-6K

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 31 Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:14 am

I believe you're right about the S and gravel

But here is some eye candy to think about.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=sm610

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 31 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:19 pm

WOW, I have a look at the RT.. But wait, A GS.. Big dirty fun.. Both are capable, the GS wins in a few ways- the RT as well.
IF you prefer the elements- the GS is it. SInce ya got the LT, That is the one for me. GS!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #10 of 31 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:39 pm
Just ridin'

I would go for the GS. I think it can do everything the S can do and you would benefit from a more comfortable seat and riding position.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 31 Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I would go for the GS. I think it can do everything the S can do and you would benefit from a more comfortable seat and riding position.
That's kinda what I was wandering, and didn't want to miss the boat on this one.

Thanks for your input Randy.

Definitely will need to do extended rides on both. I already have some time on 1150 and 1200 RT's. They just aren't enough of a departure from the LT other than the boxer motor.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 31 Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
I believe you're right about the S and gravel

But here is some eye candy to think about.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=sm610

OK, Neil. I gave the Husky a hard look. Thanks for finding me one so close too BTW

However, as much fun as those things are, I don't think I could handle one for more than a couple days at a time. Kinda like something I'd rather borrow than own. And I am really not a thumper fan.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #13 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:25 pm

Geez John, I don't know which bike you'll end up with, but if you bring it to Ohio and invite me to ride part of the way home with you, could ya please give me a day's head start? On the LT you're in the 90th percentile, skill-wise (yeah, it's a made-up number). Given anything lighter and faster I'll never see you after the 3rd curve.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2009, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Geez John, I don't know which bike you'll end up with, but if you bring it to Ohio and invite me to ride part of the way home with you, could ya please give me a day's head start? On the LT you're in the 90th percentile, skill-wise (yeah, it's a made-up number). Given anything lighter and faster I'll never see you after the 3rd curve.
Thanks Howard, but that is part of the problem. I have been planning a 2nd bike for a while. But after the front end tucked in on me with the LT, I'm getting a little more serious about something that doesn't weight the front end quite so much when riding solo on day trips.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 7:58 am

I have the R1100S and I am lo ving it . I have it set up with aftermarket seat Pegs lowered and barbacks so it is a very comefortable ride that can be manovered very well BUT as far as dirt, If it is not hard packed FORGET it. I take it to the range to go shooting and we have had a LOT of rain. In the slightly wet grass and the NJ sugar sand the bike is squirly to the dangerous point of I might not take it to the range anymore. This is something I do a lot and I wanted to incoperate the bike into it but trashing 1500 dolars worth of body work on a mud hole isn't fun anymore! If you are in wet off road conditions Go for the GS or compromise the tires on the R1100S ,But then you loose the street handling some! I guess what I am saying is BUY THEM BOTH! Hope this helps. J.Michael
post #16 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 8:04 am

GS, and I wouldn't go the 1150/ 1200 route. The 800 is much more capable off-road, and it's more reliable... go figure- the one bike BMW doesn't make 100% of the parts on is their most reliable.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #17 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Get another LT :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Hi Guys,

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what my needs are, but in this case, I may want to move outside my own box for suggestions.

Some here know my riding style, physical size, and most of my preferences, so I won't regrind those. Just let me know your TCW.

Basically, I always felt I wanted an R1100S as a second sportier ride that can handle some gear. However, the GS is appealing as well. The choice would be in the 2001-2004 vintage.

Also, please stick to these 2 Beemers if you would. If I go strictly the sportier route, I realize my options open up into an SV, older Aprilia, older Duc, any Jap 600R. Just wanted to see the groups opinion on the the GS vs R1100S.

Thanks a ton.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #18 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Come on now.........you know you want to get good and dirty.........I'd test the R/S........but I can assure you .........the way the GS handles............?............no contest....Get a second set of skins so you can go highway or off.....you can carry all sorts of stuff.......and it will probably out corner anything else on the road...........aside from the 'R/S'.............$ .02 from an aging a**hat................
post #19 of 31 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 5:12 pm

I have a fairly new RT and I am in the same boat as your , jonesin' for a second bike. I've been teetering between the GS models now offered and missed a helluva nice used deal on one recently I will be kicking myself about for some time. He who hesitates..........well anyway the GS is my choice for you, do what you want, but based on what i've heard about GS beemers I doubt in the real world an S would give as much pleasure much less as much diversity. That said, If my idea of fun was track days, I'd go with the s.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Quote:
... Some here know my riding style, physical size, and most of my preferences, so I won't regrind those. Just let me know your TCW...
After recent product announcements at BMW I'll offer a second opinion, John. The S1000 RR isn't on your short list, but you may be one of the very few people I know who are truly qualified to put it through its paces.

That $5k-$6k budget thing...? Well, we'll have to talk about that.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:33 pm.
post #21 of 31 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
After recent product announcements at BMW I'll offer a second opinion, John. The S1000 RR isn't on your short list, but you may be one of the very few people I know who are truly qualified to put it through its paces.

That $5k-$6k budget thing...? Well, we'll have to talk about that.
Ha! Funny to see this thread alive again. Yep, Howard, if money was no object, I think I would look right fine on one of those. Thanks for the plug too.

But as an update. I was scouring Ebay everyday for a while, then the job started getting iffy, (just fine for now, thanks) then my wife went and spent all the spare cash on a new travel trailer, (WTF????!!!!Over), and now I'm buried in a DIY kitchen renovation, (that's about another 12 Grand there) that has to be done by Thanksgiving. So haven't looked much. I was really focusing on a SV650S. That's probably just the ticket.

Of course I'll let everyone know if there is a tremor here in NC

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #22 of 31 Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Hey John,

I would definitely go for the R1100S, mainly because I have the same craving! I sold my Yamaha FZ1 just after purchasing my 2010 R1200RT and although, I LOVE the RT, there is still a craving in my soul for something a little sportier for around town and 100 mile coffee shop hopping. The only downside to the R1100S is that it is eclipsed in the power department by the R1200S (120 vs. 98). I love the styling of the R1100 and will probably go that route myself, but I keep eying all the sale sights for a deal on a 1200.

The pics are of me and my son. Fortunately HE bought my FZ1, so it's still in the family!

Cheers,

Lawrence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	David,Dad,Bikes3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	26776  
post #23 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:54 pm

Five years ago my answer would have been different but these days I would go with the GS hands down. I still think they are ugly but the performance and versatility is hard to match.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #24 of 31 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 5:30 pm

I could see a GS too! They are really sweet!!
post #25 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:31 am

GS if you will be going off-road

F800ST if you are sticking to pavement
post #26 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:03 am

John created this thread almost a year ago. It's almost useless to keep replying to it at this point. Unless John is still deciding.

And for those of you that don't know John, he's one of the fastest riders ... if not THEE fastest rider in this forum.
post #27 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:39 am

Question Re: Which 2nd bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
John created this thread almost a year ago. It's almost useless to keep replying to it at this point. Unless John is still deciding.

And for those of you that don't know John, he's one of the fastest riders ... if not THEE fastest rider in this forum.
Good point Joe! So, John, if you are out there, what did you get? Or ya still working on "Honey-dos"?

Inquiring minds want to know!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #28 of 31 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Good point Joe! So, John, if you are out there, what did you get? Or ya still working on "Honey-dos"?

Inquiring minds want to know!

John
Honey-dos?!?

Maybe he is still waiting for permission.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #29 of 31 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 7:46 am

Don't forget to try the R1200R. It is the best kept secret of BMW Motorrad. I can easily chase the crotch rocket crowd a lot more comfortably than they are. I can add the full luggage (same as the RT) and go cruising. It is easy to maintain and an absolute joy to ride anywhere.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #30 of 31 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Yea, this one pops up again now and then. As a matter of fact the honey do's are done and the green light was given to go purchase a nice 2003 SV650S Easter weekend. I looked, I rode, and I told the guy I'd let him know.

Then I got back on the LT to head home through the mountains and that thing felt just fine. I came to realize on the ride home I didn't need more insurance paperwork, more licensing, more taxes, more maintenance, less space in the garage, and on and on. I'm going to be getting some shocks for the LT and that's a chunk of change in itself.

I called the fellow to let him know I wouldn't be pulling the trigger. Even though I found some nice Kaw ZZ-R 600's for only a few hundred bucks more than the SV, a fuel injected SV650S is what I would buy right now if I were to get that 2nd bike.

The LT moves me just fine. Thanks guys.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #31 of 31 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a ton.
Here is my opinion, since you already have probably the best long distance touring bike, for a second one I would choose something totally different like the GS, but since like me you are on a tight budget I would give some thought about the Buell Lightning or the Ulyses, prices are about right, they are simple and fun to ride, again as a second toy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in