sad R1100s running problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:43 am Thread Starter

sad R1100s running problems

Hope as newbie I havent broken any rules on my first post and perhaps if this is in the wrong place someone might reposition it. So hi I'm Stoney from Manchester UK with a sick R1100S 1999 the bike in question wont run properly on the right cylinder. i have checked the Ht leads plugs injectors and coil. it runs fine on the left pot but only intermitantly on the right. ie get a spark and it will fire from time to time enough to warm the exhaust pipe up a little but not hot. the bike has had several mods including a shark 4 outlet exhaust. boxer cup chip, and boxercup suspension etc and has run well with out any problems for years. any suggestions.The guys at my local Beemer dealer are it seems to busy to chat to a valued customer and point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:31 pm

Re: sad R1100s running problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehard
Hope as newbie I havent broken any rules on my first post and perhaps if this is in the wrong place someone might reposition it. So hi I'm Stoney from Manchester UK with a sick R1100S 1999 the bike in question wont run properly on the right cylinder. i have checked the Ht leads plugs injectors and coil. it runs fine on the left pot but only intermitantly on the right. ie get a spark and it will fire from time to time enough to warm the exhaust pipe up a little but not hot. the bike has had several mods including a shark 4 outlet exhaust. boxer cup chip, and boxercup suspension etc and has run well with out any problems for years. any suggestions.The guys at my local Beemer dealer are it seems to busy to chat to a valued customer and point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance
Have you synched the throttle bodies? If not, that is where I'd start.
Also try the forum below...it is agreat resource for oilheads.

http://www.r1150r.net/
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 9:09 am Thread Starter

great success. running like a dream. big learning curve look for the obvious. I did everything in the book to see what was wrong and it turned out to be a twisted cable.

however I learned a neat trick to check carb sync. use a compression tester and turn the enging over with the throttle closed on each side and then open. I noticed that on the side that was a little jammed open the compression read higher that the other side with the throttle closed. when I turned the engine over with the throttle open they read the same. found the jammed cable did the same test and both sides were equal open and closed.

not a substition for a synch guage but it helped me out and the compression guage only cost £18.

good call from you and thanks

stoney.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Jammed cables have been the problem of many an oilhead, "R" bike rider.

Glad things worked out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehard
great success. running like a dream. big learning curve look for the obvious. I did everything in the book to see what was wrong and it turned out to be a twisted cable.

however I learned a neat trick to check carb sync. use a compression tester and turn the enging over with the throttle closed on each side and then open. I noticed that on the side that was a little jammed open the compression read higher that the other side with the throttle closed. when I turned the engine over with the throttle open they read the same. found the jammed cable did the same test and both sides were equal open and closed.

not a substition for a synch guage but it helped me out and the compression guage only cost £18.

good call from you and thanks

stoney.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2009, 9:46 am

BMW dealers.....Same problem here,Sawbridge Bmw wouldn,t let me chat to the lads......Just book it in sir, i'm sure we can screw you for hundreds!!!.

John.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in