96 R1100rt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 8:51 am Thread Starter

96 R1100rt

Hello everyone
So i was hoping to find some help here. I am thinking about anew ( new to me) bike. I would like to start riding longer distance and seeing what I can see. I have been riding for 20 some years Had all the Japanese race bikes as well as most of the ducati's. I would like something more up right and comfortable for long hauls but needs to handle fairly well. So I found a a 96 r1100rt that sparked my interest. I have not ridden a BMW but have always loved the look. But know nothing about them. So this this a decent model? are there problems to look for? I like to work on my own bikes and am very mechanically inclined. Any info on this bike and the pros and cons of this model would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:08 pm

Re: 96 R1100rt

Hi Rlbol,
I owned a 99 r1100rt that I bought used with 13k miles and I kept it for three years and put another 16k miles on it. I sold it because I needed the money at the time and I sure have missed it . The 99 model is the only rt I have owned but it looks identical to the 96 model you are looking at. I am sure someone who has owned both models will chime in on the exact differences. I loved the rt. The riding position is perfect for long distances and sporty enough that you will enjoy the twisties even with a full load of luggage. The stock suspension was perfect to me, the rear shock had two adjustments one for pre loading the spring and the other for firmness if you want a little more aggressive handling. Though it is not a pure sport bike the rt loves to be ridden hard and I was amazed at how it performed when ridden aggressively. You will love the boxer engine, it has a unique feel about it that no other bike has. I believe you will be amazed at how flickable it is in the curves. You will also love the electrically adjustable windscreen that gives a sportbike feel when in the lowest position so you can see over it and when in the full up position it keeps you warm and dry. Maintenance is will be easy for you since you have good mechanical skills and that will save you bucks. I must confess I did not like adjusting valves every 6k miles but they are easy to get to and the more you do it the easier it becomes. I hope this helps you with your decision . There is also a rt website , believe it is rt.com and the people there are very helpful . Good luck with your new bike.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 5:57 pm

Some questions: What is your budget for a bike? How many miles are on the bike? Do you have a mechanical history? Has it been sitting or daily use/weekends? These bikes are very easy to work on when you work on it yourself. The basic maintenance is an oil change and valve adjustment every 6K miles. The valve adjustment interval usually increases as mileage increases so it could be 12K miles. The 12K mile service is typically an oil change, valve adjust and tranny/final drive fluid change and air filter.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 26th, 2009, 3:30 pm

The biggest problem with a '96 1100 is the M94 transmission. These had two common problems; leaking input shaft seals and a gear skip that would manifest itself in 2nd or 3rd (rarely both). Both require a tear down to fix. There are people who can rebuild these to better than new but the price is probably at least $1200. In '97 BMW updated the transmission to the M97 and most are very reliable.

The only other significant difference between years was the cable arrangement for the throttle bodies. Not a big deal but the later years (98-2001 I think) were a little easier to tune.

If I was looking for an 1100RT I would focus on a 2000 or 2001. I wouldn't be afraid of a bike with 40 or 50K. Nice examples of these can be found for $4500-6000. I don't care for any RT (1150 or 1200) built from 2002-2006 as they have the servo brakes which are just too weird for me. Also too difficult or expensive to maintain. I've had a '96 and a 2000 and now have an '07 RT. I strongly advise against test riding a 1200 unless you want to spend the extra bucks. I've enjoyed all of my Boxers (inluding a couple of airheads) but the 1200 flat out amazes me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in