2001 R1200C Stiletto - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Question 2001 R1200C Stiletto

A dealer has the above bike w approx 5K mi on it and wants $8000.

Seams to be in really good shape, but I have some questions about the bike itself. The dealer was closing on a Saturday afternnon-so this should explain some of the below questions..not enough time for a thorough inspection.

Is it air cooled only? Fuel-Injected?
I did not notice a center stand--is this normal?
I did notice heated grips, but didn't find any controls for heated seats--no heated seats?.
Does it have cruise control?

Another Beemer customer at the dealership indicated that the 2001 had problems with the rear drivetrain...any comments?

It has the chromed boxer heads and chromed enclosure with the blacked out engine.

It has the lockable leather bags and passenger seat that folds up to become a backrest for solo riders.

The wheels are spoked (and chrome) with tubeless Metzlers.
In addition, it has ABS (Brema) and a windshield.

Nice cockpit, but no tach.

It seems to be a beatiful bike but I really don't want to buy a problem.
The dealer says their is a two year Zurich ext warranty ($50 deductible) left on the bike and they indicated that it would transfer with the bike. Is Zurick ok?

Does this year and model have any well known problems?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 11:07 am

Re: 2001 R1200C Stiletto

Doug,

Go here for any and all information you may need www.chromeheads.org

I can tell you that it is a fuel injected oilhead .

No centre stand, heated grips or cruise control come with the bike.

Simon
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 10th, 2008, 5:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks Simon

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 4:59 pm

I sold a 2000 C( basically the same as this bike) in August . It had a few extras such as bags and floorboards, 11k miles, for $7500. I loved the bike...no issues whatsoever. I sold it to buy a 2003 CLC. The bike that you are considering seems like a good deal.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 10:58 pm

I rode a "C" for years. Loved the bike.

Really the only major problem with the bike is that the chrome is awful and will peel and pit. German laws make it hard to chrome things and BMW tried to put chrome over aluminum. Look for pitting especially on the spoke wheels. BMW did make some of these bikes with "BBS" wheels which have no chrome. I like those wheels better because there is no chrome to pit.

Minor problems:

The engine has surging problems. Some bikes had less than others. Different plugs helped as did a very precise tuning. Some bought aftermarket computer chips which helped. BMW felt it was a problem and fitted the 2004 "C" with a second spark plug. In my opinion, the 2004 model is the sweet spot because of this.

The engine has only 62 hp and feels underpowered. But it is tuned to have lots of torque. It was designed to look good, not be a powerful sport or touring bike. The reason the bike was discontinued was due to BMW not wanting (maybe not being able to) to add horsepower.

Other things:

The pipes are close to your ankles and you will melt your pants.

The bike will do well in the twisties but will drag the side stand in left hand turns. These are really made to ride "in style" from bar to bar, not as sport bikes. If you ride long distances or like the twisties, this bike may not be for you.

Take a screwdriver with you so you can reattach the rubber tube that goes from the fuel injection on the left side to the intake of the engine. The fuel injection computer can get confused in certain instances and will make the engine backfire through the intake which pops off the rubber tube. No problem, just push it back on and snug the clamp with the screwdriver.

The bike is in the Guggenheim Museum collection and is shown in their "Art of the Motorcycle" coffee table book. It is a fine example of modern motorcycle design. In another 10 years it will probably be a collector bike. The two tone "Phoenix" model is hands down the most sought after model.

Gael
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:24 pm

As has been already said, They're rare and if you can afford to buy it. It will only appreciate in value. They're fun to ride and a little underpowered. But it's a cruiser.. Not a cafe racer...

No problems with them that BMW isn't having with any other bikes. The rear drive fails occasionally and they backfire and blow off an intake tube occasionally.

The boxer is a great motor and will last a long, long, time.

Ride it. If it speaks to you, Then buy it...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 9:14 pm

It is a useful Information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in