CLC Rear Disc Brake Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

CLC Rear Disc Brake Issue

I've been having problems with the rear brake disc. It works itself loose after about 1,500 miles. BMW Replaced the disc once under warranty and that disc has been tightened by them at least once since. Now it's loose again and is very annoying when banking left or right. Sounds like the entire assembly is flapping in the breeze back there. I've read that this may be common with the CLC but I've had no confirmation of this. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

Re: CLC Rear Disc Brake Issue

Yep, That's the BMW "Floating" rear disk...

Noisy, Noisy, Noisy...

Look at www.chromeheads.org for more info and some ingenious fixes involving silicone...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 1:33 am

My CL never made noise in the back disc until I decided to use weel cleaner to wash off all the brake dust collected there and hose it with water, then that night when i went to ride the disc was clanking on every road bump, stoped doing it after a day riding, maybe i got to stop washing

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 5:11 pm

CLC uses the same rear disc as the LT. There is a TSB out now about the disc and BMW has a new, updated version of the disc with five rivet points. Reports on the new version are very positive eliminated brake squeal as well as cowbell clunk. The TSB states the dealers should replace any rear disc under warranty if/when the customer makes a noise complaint. I have also been advised they will offer AWA (after warranty assistance) to those bikes out of warranty but with the same customer complaint. What or how much is still to be determined on a case by case basis. I have requested AWA on my 02 LT but the discs have been back-ordered due to heavy demand. Last I heard is they were recently restocked at the US warehouse depot and I hoping to get a call very shortly as I was on the waiting list. The list price is $440 which includes the ABS ring thus my strong interest in BMW picking up at least half the tab.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had no problems with my rear disc but in looking at what someone else did to resolve the problem I have a suggestion or two. It looks like the rotor is spring loaded (centered) at several anchor points on an inner hub. It appears that the issue is the springs breaking and allowing the rotor to float excessively which causes the cowbell effect. I would think that o-rings or more likely teflon seals in combination with crush washers or machine bushings might be worth a try. With the right amount of torque on each stud the rotor could still float but be restrained by the crush washers when the brakes are applied. Red loctite would maintain the proper torque on the mounts but would necessitate heating for removal. I haven't tried this but thought I would throw the idea out to see what the gurus think of it.

post #6 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 7:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My rear brakes make noise only on slow stops. Its not something that I care about considering how they work when I need them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in