Smokin' R1200c - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Smokin' R1200c

A couple of months ago I bought a 2002 R1200C w/24K miles on it. Before taking delivery, the dealer gave the bike it's 24K mile service and two brand new tires. When I start it up the exhaust puts out huge amounts of smoke and when I rev it, it smokes even more. It eventually stops after I ride it a bit. Now, I've worked with cars enough to know that this would probably mean that the O-rings may need to be replaced but I'm not sure if this is the issue with a bike since I'm fairly new to the riding world. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so do you know what the cause is? Also, if this is a real issue about what is it going to cost me to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Ken - Atlanta, GA
'08 R1200RT
'02 R1200C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW Motorrad
The Ultimate Riding Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Re: Smokin' R1200c

As the bike only has a side stand this means that oil will find itīs way into the left hand cylinder whilst it is parked.

This is where the smoke will be coming from.

For all info about the bike go to this brilliant web site www.chromeheads.org
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
As the bike only has a side stand this means that oil will find itīs way into the left hand cylinder whilst it is parked.

This is where the smoke will be coming from.

For all info about the bike go to this brilliant web site www.chromeheads.org
I agree. Go to chromeheads. This subject has been addressed there but as I recall, Pokie debunked the theory that oil pooling in the left jug was an issue. If it were, they would all do that (smoke as described) and they don't. BTW -- If you don't know who Pokie is you will after visiting the chromeheads site and you will be yet one more C owner in his debt.

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:23 am

Moot,

Have you swapped the Ducs for an LT ?.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Moot,

Have you swapped the Ducs for an LT ?.
Nope! Still have the 999 and tend to think I always will. It is just such an adrenaline rush I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. Why do I "need" 5 widely divergent motorcycles? The same reason I need sneakers and cowboy boots. The same reason I need a Glock 17 and a Remington 700. They are just for different purposes! Currently thinking I "need" a GS.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I rode a "C" for years and it always smoked a little on startup. No problem, a little oil got by the rings because it was on the centerstand.

++++++1 on the Chromeheads.org site. You can find everything you need to know about the bike.

++++++1 on Pokie's site. He is a trained BMW wrench that lives in Colorado and loves the "C".

Have fun, Gael
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Try this,

Shut off the motor and then just hold her upright for about 30 seconds to let the oil drain back down into the case....

See if that doesn't fix your issue... If it doesn't, then you might need to look further...

The fact that it stops smoking at some point leaves me to believe that there's nothing major wrong....

Maybe a funky valve seal or something like that.

Holding her upright long enough for most of the oil to drain down might help..

Good Luck

JOhn

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:58 pm

My 03 would put out a small puff of smoke on start up, once in a while. it had about 300 mi when I bought her. 04 was new with about 4 mi on her and on the 130 mi ride home I followed the instructions of this site. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm It never smoked that I was able to see. put about 5K mi on her even with the side stand issue. Then BMW traded me (after 3 attempts to fix) 04 CL for 05 LT. LT broke in same way. No smoke that I could see even when bike left on side stand

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in