'96 R1100r BRAKE LIGHT STAYS ON! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

'96 R1100r BRAKE LIGHT STAYS ON!

I'm new at this....Does anyone have an idea why the brake light stays on when not in use? Also the ABS light on the dash flashes, but will go off if that indicator is pushed to reset it. Brake fluid is full in both reservoirs. I read alot of comments about the 1200, but not much on this bike. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:09 pm

Re: '96 R1100r BRAKE LIGHT STAYS ON!

Hi Leigh
Did you mean it stays on even w/ the key in the off position. Just make sure you are not locking the forks and turning the key to the parking light position. If not that, some in past had to fool around with a relay switch.

Both red abs lights should blink together on startup. Once you start rolling you will hear a clicking noise sounding like it is coming from below your seat. When that sound is heard both abs lights should go out. You are now good to go.

If on starting your abs lights wig/wag, turn off ignition and try starting again. ABS system is sensitive to a weak battery. Had to go with a gel battery to get reliable abs trouble free starts. And even at that if it sits for a week or so it will wig/wag at startup. I have never used the reset switch for abs. Just turn off ignition and turn back on. It was the same with both 1995 R1100s I have had. If the battery was really weak and I couldn't start it without abs lights wig/wag, I would ride it down the street, turn ignition off and back on, and bump start the thing. Stop at the stop sign at the end of the street, abs clicks when I startup, and I'm good to go. Once warmed up it was rarely a problem again.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Hey Glenn
Thanks for the reply. The brake light is on whenever the key is on. We'll check the battery for low charge, all though it starts like a strong battery. More later.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:08 am

Try pushing out on the front brake lever, it may be sticking. If so, may be time for rebiuld/replacement. MG

mgbmw2002
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:14 am

The battery will start the bike just fine, but there is just enough of a drop in voltage when you hit the starter button that the abs goes to fault mode.

Had a short lived problem with the front brake lever brake light switch sticking. Cured itself after a few rides. I just manually moved the lever back and the light would go out. Hasn't been a problem since.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in