1983 R80RT Fairing removable? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

1983 R80RT Fairing removable?

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a first bike, am considering an R80RT with 40k miles available locally. I live in New Mexico - is it possible to remove the fairing for the summers, and install it again for the cooler weather?

Any comments on this bike also appreciated. Other options locally are a naked R100 from 1978, and a couple of newer K75's - an RT and an S. I'll be using the bike to commute on secondary highways 30 miles each way.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Re: 1983 R80RT Fairing removable?

The fairing holds the headlight so I don't think you can remove it.

Also holds the turn signals...

And the radio... and clock and switches...

It's plenty cool anyway with the fairing on it.. I ride mine fairly often in the summertime.

You dont' want to come to Oklahoma and get one do ya ?

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Gold Supporter

The lowers can come off with no problem, but the upper faring must stay in place for the turn signals and other lights to function. That is unless you want do some southern engineering.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

John, Jim. Thanks. Pretty clear. John, sorry I'm not keen to go all the way to OK! Greg
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:44 pm

I seem to recall the windshield also comes off easily. I believe some countries had a very low screen as an option.

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 5:53 pm

As an owner of a r80RT, trust me, you DON"T want to take that fairing off any more than you have to. Unless it's just me, I can't imagine anything more aggravating. You might be able to aquire a shorter windshield from http://www.cycleworks.net/. Also as mentioned the removal of the lowers will help with air flow. Also there is a company that makes wind deflectors for BMW and Goldwings but I can't find their name now.

Don Mitchell
Bellville,Texas
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmitt
As an owner of a r80RT, trust me, you DON"T want to take that fairing off any more than you have to. Unless it's just me, I can't imagine anything more aggravating. You might be able to aquire a shorter windshield from http://www.cycleworks.net/. Also as mentioned the removal of the lowers will help with air flow. Also there is a company that makes wind deflectors for BMW and Goldwings but I can't find their name now.
Hey, Don. Would it be Baker??

Hi, btw - long time no see.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Hi Dick,
.your correct, Baker it is. I just found the information sheet on the one I bought years ago. By the way it worked to bring in vast amounts of air.

Don Mitchell
Bellville,Texas

Last edited by donmitt; Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:59 pm. Reason: wrong answer
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:09 pm

http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=19
I believe they make a vented shield for your bike. I like the fairing on my 84 R100RT, it has vents that open for warm weather rides, I plan I getting the vented shield in the winter for next year.
A old airhead is a great way to start, not too big or too small for the money.
Parts are good and lots of repair places.
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 7:47 pm

You can completely remove the fairing, lowers, top/center too. You will need the headlight mounting "ears" from standard R bike of that era, and also the headlight shell, which will hold the ignition switch. You will also need the turn signal arms and lights, from the R bike, they mount to the "ears".

All in all a moderate conversion for time and money. Try the bike with the lowers removed first, and the built in vents. If that isn't cool enough for you, remove the windshield. These are easier than removing the center section of the fairing.

If you really want a "naked" bike, why not just buy one?

My avatar is my '83 R100RT, the most I've ever needed to do was remove the lowers during summer weather.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in