"74" R90/6 Virgin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

"74" R90/6 Virgin

Riding for almost 40 years, my first BMW was a job related "03" 1150RT-P which led to my personal purchase of a pre-owned LT after 15 years on a Wing. Love the machines, undecided with the support. I've recently inherited (literally) a R90/6 in very good condition with 67K on it's clock. I'm looking to make this an every day Commuter and would like some advise on a wind screen and luggage as well as any other advise for a newbee "AirHead" owner. Thanks Rick

Mr Rick
"12" R12RT
"02" LT-C "Titan Silver"
"74" R90/6 "Black"
"86" Suzuki Calvacade 1400 (sold)
"73" Kawasaki 900 Z1A (sold)
"76" Kawasaki kz 750 (sold)
"69" Honda CB 350 (sold)
"66" Honda 305 Scrambler (unknown)
Gillette, N.J. (Exit 40)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:54 am

Re: "74" R90/6 Virgin

I had a 76 R90/6. They are an exellent bike. I haven't had it for over 20 years so I don't know what is available for them these days. I would think that the MOA magazine would give you some options as they have a lot of ads for the different kinds of BMW's.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 am

Have a wander over to

http://www.airheads.org/

regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:52 pm

I would agree with Graham that you need to check out airheads.org. But, here a a few thoughts...

For commuting, I would look for a real, full fairing like Like this Windjammer You will have as much protection from the weather as you have on your LT!

Next, the bags you want (traditionally speaking are Krausers here is a pair on a nice R100S.

That's the fun stuff, now the downside. Airheads are OLD fashioned bikes, and this is the 21st Century. I love my R100/7 on empty country roads with no traffic. I hate it in town. Or, on a busy expressway during commuting hours. One of the BIG drawbacks is brakes. They suck. Ride your LT and do a few stops, like in rush-hour, then do the same thing on the R90. The difference is enormous. And, no ABS!

Also for commuting, the lights, front AND rear are poor. Tiny taillight, tiny directionals and a weak headlight. Not my first choice for being seen.

Save it for weekends in those beautiful NJ hills and valleys of yours!

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Just my $0.02.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #5 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Congrats on picking up a /6.
R90/6 is a great bike.
I love old Airheads, currently own a couple, have rebuilt a few.
Vetter and Luftmeister fairings are being removed from these bikes more often than they are being installed. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. Look for one that has the correct mounting frame.
Luggage: you can still get new luggage for your bike or you can look on eBay.
Check out the general forum at boxerworks.com in addition to the airheads site.
I am happy to answer questions, PM me.
The old Airhead community is a very dedicated group, better than bmwlt.com if you can imagine that!
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks All, JAT, I was wondering if the brakes were defective but you described them perfectly. Albiet, I'm very excited about this ride. Stay safe. Rick

Mr Rick
"12" R12RT
"02" LT-C "Titan Silver"
"74" R90/6 "Black"
"86" Suzuki Calvacade 1400 (sold)
"73" Kawasaki 900 Z1A (sold)
"76" Kawasaki kz 750 (sold)
"69" Honda CB 350 (sold)
"66" Honda 305 Scrambler (unknown)
Gillette, N.J. (Exit 40)

post #7 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrick
Thanks All, JAT, I was wondering if the brakes were defective but you described them perfectly. Albiet, I'm very excited about this ride. Stay safe. Rick
Mr. Rick, my first bike was a 1975 R75/5, I loved it! Enjoy your R90 and ride it with care!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:39 pm

For commuting, if a top box is available, (and big enough) it might be a better choice than saddle bags if you plan to split lanes. Air cooled engines do not do well sitting still, and a narrow profile is best when having to fit between the cars.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 8:50 am

Your biggest concern will be that the valve seats and valves are not made for unleaded gas. The valves will become thinner over time and you have to be adjust and monitor them regularly. If I remember correctly, when the adjustment screw starts showing three threads on top it's time for new seats and valves. (the new ones being made for unleaded gas)
Second thing to be aware of is what the Airheads call "the $2000 O-ring."
The white O-ring and spacer on the oil filter need special attention or.........
Otherwise....."Keep 'Em flying"
Great Bike !!!!!

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #10 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Your biggest concern will be that the valve seats and valves are not made for unleaded gas. The valves will become thinner over time and you have to be adjust and monitor them regularly. If I remember correctly, when the adjustment screw starts showing three threads on top it's time for new seats and valves. (the new ones being made for unleaded gas)
Second thing to be aware of is what the Airheads call "the $2000 O-ring."
The white O-ring and spacer on the oil filter need special attention or.........
Otherwise....."Keep 'Em flying"
Great Bike !!!!!
I think that the /5 and /6 series don't have too much problem with valve seat wear. More of a problem with /7 bikes if I recall correctly. Just don't forget to check your valve clearances. Also the $2000 O-ring showed up after the /6 with the introduction of the oil coolers. Later bikes had the oil filter setup reconfigured even if the bike wasn't fitted with an oil cooler. These bikes have the big O-ring which if not properly fitted results in leaking from the oil filter housing back into the sump depriving the engine of proper lubication pressure and engine damage. The approximate cost of rebuilding the engine is where the term "$2000 O-ring" comes from.

I have a 74 R90S and a 76 R90/6, both great bikes.
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 10:30 am

CharlieVT is prolly right. Been a while since I was an airhead and my memory aint what it once was.....
anyway, If you join the Airheads, or at least get on their listserve, Oak and Snowbum will tell you all you ever want to know about your bike and what the reason for each mettalurgy change was, and six other guys will tell you why it's true and 4 other guys will say you should have searched yourself, and one guy will say your grammer is not correct......
Bunch of grumpy old men but...........
My, My, what a warehouse of knowledge.......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
CharlieVT is prolly right. Been a while since I was an airhead and my memory aint what it once was.....
anyway, If you join the Airheads, or at least get on their listserve, Oak and Snowbum will tell you all you ever want to know about your bike and what the reason for each mettalurgy change was, and six other guys will tell you why it's true and 4 other guys will say you should have searched yourself, and one guy will say your grammer is not correct......
Bunch of grumpy old men but...........
My, My, what a warehouse of knowledge.......
The beauty of old Airhead enthusiasts which is replicated on this KLT site, is the willingness to help fellow enthusiasts. Yeah, we get it wrong sometimes but the concensus of opinions and the suggestions as to where to find good information helps others find the way to good info.

Starfighter has described well intentioned, grumpy old men with bad grammer....hey! I resemble that remark!

Starfighter has provided some great references, here's some links:
http://home.jps.net/~snowbum/techindex.htm
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/index.htm
https://www.airheads.org/content/view/246/78/
http://www.boxerworks.com/message.php

Have fun with the /6.
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 2:46 pm

There is also a very active airhead community in the Old Skool section of ADVrider.

Enjoy the slash.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:48 am

On the matter of the brakes, replace the rubber brake hose with a braided steel line, use EBC pads and if you can find it replace the under-the-tank piston/brake fluid tank with the hand grip that has it up there thus getting rid of the cable. Those are you best most cost effective mods to improve the brakes. Even just changing out the line to steel will make a BIG difference in braking as I recently discovered on my 78 R100 /7. It will never match the LT, but it will make for more positive braking.

Whenever I get on my airhead after riding the LT I take a few minutes riding around to adjust to the differences.

As for commuting on it, depends on what kind of commute you are doing, if you don't have to deal with lots of stop and go city traffic or lots of slab it can be a fun ride, but they don't much care for lots of stop and go on a hot day, thats for sure. Also look at changing out to a H2 blub set up, or if you find a jammer try for one that already has that set up. Craig Vetter is now selling lots of repair parts for them on his site, windscreens, ADBS plastic repair, nylon screws and even decals if you repaint it.

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in