R/RS/ST replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

R/RS/ST replacement

Hi,
Has anyone got any infomation about BMW making a replacement for the R1200ST or are there plans to make a R1200RS.
Thanks
Barry Askew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Re: R/RS/ST replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways
Hi,
Has anyone got any infomation about BMW making a replacement for the R1200ST or are there plans to make a R1200RS.
Thanks
Barry Askew
The reason for this enquire is that BMW has stopped selling/importing this model in Australia.
As the ex owner of an R1150RS (dog of a bike) I went for a 2007 model K1200GT because I was fed up with the problems of the 1150.

The R1200 appears to be a lot better bike but I didn't like the styling and a lot of others have said the same thing.

Any comments

Barry
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 4th, 2009, 6:30 am

Hi Barry,

Sorry, I cant help - but I thought I'd post just to mention you're not alone in your quest.

I've had an R1100RS for the last 15 years and Iíve been very happy with it. So happy in fact that, now the time has come to find a replacement, my first instinct was to simply purchase the latest matching model (the R1200ST). However, to my dismay I found that R1200ST was not only one of the ugliest bikes Iíve seen but itís also discontinued (probably because of its poor sales due to its poor looks). From the reports I've read, it was technically excellent and loved by all those owners who could get past the looks. Now there is a gap in BMW's line-up. Iím not fond of the R1200S's styling, the RT is too big and expensive, the GS is an excellent bike but Iíd feel silly making it my daily ride when Iíve no intention of taking it off road. I've just test ridden an R1200R and, while it was very nice, I found it had too many shortfalls over my old RS. I found the handlebar vibrations numbing my fingers and the hard seat making me squirm after only 80Km. The panniers are smaller than the old R1100 ones and they didnít seem big enough for a helmet. There is no appreciable ducktail boot and (or course) no adjustable screen Ė a feature I find particularly useful on my R1100RS. Also, the RID on the R1200R seemed a little hard to read. After the test ride I found myself thinking "If Iím going to fork out over $23k for a bike then I shouldnít have to be making so many compromises". Surely, with such a strong following for the R11xxRS models BMW will give the ST a makeover and repair the gap in their motorcycle fleet. However, in the current economic climate Iím wondering how long that will be. If the new ST is as techncally proficient as the last one and even half decent in the styling department then Iíll be one of the first in line for a test ride.

Cheers

Damon

post #4 of 4 Old May 16th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Have you thought about the K1300R and then equipt it with bags?? I think that would be a nice everyday ride. Also, how about the F800ST? It has plenty of power, is comfortable to ride and can be equipped with bags that are expandable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in