R1100RS sat idling... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Question R1100RS sat idling...

Started my bike up for a "charge the battery" ride as I had left the light on... anyways. Step into the house while its idling and get a phone call from a relative. One thing leads to another and I end up on the phone for an hour. As I hang up I realize that I have left my bike running! I ran out there and it was no longer running. It was radiating ungodly heat and I even managed to locate a few melty looking pieces of plastic on the engine. (specifically two cable stays that were hard plastic) I was hoping it just ran out of gas but it seemed to have plenty so I went into a panic. I was sure that I had managed to seize the engine with heat but when I tried to restart it turned over just fine but did not start. I tried again later when it had fully cooled and still no start. I have an idea of what might be causing this but could really use some advice from the community here.

Why won't my bike start? (aside from my idiocy mentioned above =P )

Thanks.

~QuickQuestioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Re: R1100RS sat idling...

First check your fuses, then I would pull the spark plugs and see if their fried.
You might get lucky but warming up and overheating an R engine standing still is not good.
Best of luck.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Checked the fuses and got new plugs but still no go. Hot tip from the local BMW service side was to check the hall sensor. Opened up the front plastic to see the alternator belt and sure enough saw what look like oil dripping down near the hall sensor wire retaining clip. After getting in there and removing hall sensor it looks like the first thing the heat got to was the hall sensor wire, melt down and short out.

Any advice on whether a new length of wire can be soldered in?

QuickQuestioner.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Short answer is, yes you can fix'em. I think diagnosing and fixing the HES has been addressed in the MOA mag within the past couple of years. There is a guy in Tucson, sorry I can't find his contact info, who rebuilds HES's. Googling may turn up something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickQuestioner
Checked the fuses and got new plugs but still no go. Hot tip from the local BMW service side was to check the hall sensor. Opened up the front plastic to see the alternator belt and sure enough saw what look like oil dripping down near the hall sensor wire retaining clip. After getting in there and removing hall sensor it looks like the first thing the heat got to was the hall sensor wire, melt down and short out.

Any advice on whether a new length of wire can be soldered in?

QuickQuestioner.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in