Considering 04 R1200C, questions.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Considering 04 R1200C, questions....

Today I looked at an 04 Phoenix with about 5K miles on it. I have not taken it for a test ride yet. The MC shop said he would come down to $9K. It is an independent shop with many brands of used bikes for sale.

I have never owned a BMW.
Questions applying to the R1200C:
Is there a regular interval for valve lash checking/adjustment?
Do all BMWs require premium fuel?
What kind of gas mileage to expect?

What should I be aware of on this model?
How do I tell if it is the Phoenix model ?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by WCO1; Oct 26th, 2007 at 8:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 3:24 am

Hi Bob,

I also own a R 1200 C and am very happy with it.

You will find the answers to all ( and more ) your questions here

www.chromeheads.org

Good luck,

Simon
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:41 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCO1
Today I looked at an 04 Phoenix with about 5K miles on it. I have not taken it for a test ride yet. The MC shop said he would come down to $9K. It is an independent shop with many brands of used bikes for sale.

Thanks for any help.
The Peonix has a yellow and black paint job and BBS alloy wheels.

The valves need adjustment every 6k, but it's very easy.

Most BMW recomend premium fuel including the R12C

You should get 40-45 MPG on average.

Hope this helps

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and help.

I learned that the salesperson is trying to sell it as a Phoenix and it is not.

Bob
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:29 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and help.

I learned that the salesperson is trying to sell it as a Phoenix and it is not.

Bob
How is it equipted? Does it have a wind shield, leather bags, heated grips, chrome motor guard any extras? There were other special models like the euro and the montana that were cool too...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
How is it equipted? Does it have a wind shield, leather bags, heated grips, chrome motor guard any extras? There were other special models like the euro and the montana that were cool too...
haven't looked at it for a week. trying to remember..........
windshield, black hard shell (I think) bags, heated grips, chrome motor guards and the color was one of the following: white, off white, silver.
The windshield didn't appear to offer a whole lot of protection from the wind. No lowers either.
Appearance wise, it looked to be in good condition.
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:46 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
haven't looked at it for a week. trying to remember..........
windshield, black hard shell (I think) bags, heated grips, chrome motor guards and the color was one of the following: white, off white, silver.
The windshield didn't appear to offer a whole lot of protection from the wind. No lowers either.
Appearance wise, it looked to be in good condition.
The wind shield, bags and motor bars are expensive extras. If you like the bike, then buy it. How much is it BTW??

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:47 am

Check the mounting bars for the wind screen real good, look for any small cracks at all. Make sure the bolts are tight always. It is a boxer so you will have some vibe.
They did not make many of the r1200c series but, try not to buy the first on you find. I ride a 98c and am very happy. I had about 20,000 miles before I felt it really break in. With a bmw product I try to find something with at least 10,000 miles on it. If you ever need to work on a r1200c go to www.chromeheads.org and find POKIE.
Good luck kola1
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:54 am

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

if I were you , before I thought about it any furhter, I would go ride more bmw models, ride a RT GT GS whatever. I feel the C is underpowered (it is) and handles like a tank (compared to the other bmw models)

JMHO YMMV just be sure you like it before you buy it

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 12:21 pm

The 1200C models are good for inseam challenged riders. if this is not you, do as stated before, go check the other models first. I have owned 4 others, and all have their good points. My favorite now is of course, The LT!
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 5:57 pm

I really enjoy the "C" for day rides in Santa Fe. It is a bare bike with no fairings to block the wind. With a short inseam, there is NO problem getting on and off the bike. I like the built in back rest function of the pinon seat. It is not a hot rod. However, the five pound fly wheel provides plenty of torque and the engine is quite happy running at much lower rpms than my "RT". I find it handles as nimbly as my RT and it is lighter. It is not quite as fuel efficient as the "RT".

However, from my personal experience, it is not really a track day bike. I had fun but others had to go around me. I got to 75 mph on the straights and others blew past at significantly higher speeds.

I bought mine "new" in December 2005 [never titled] with the white pin stripes on black and with all the added accessories and wiring, I was about $12K out the door. It reminded me of my first bike, a 1969 R69S. That is why I bought it and plan to keep it as long as I am able to ride.

If interested, please check the R1200C photos at my website below.
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Switz, are all those bikes yours?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Yes, I owned them all at one time or another plus quite a few others. There are now matching 2005 H-D CVO yellow Classics (one in Indiana and the other in Arizona). The 2004 BMW R1200C lives in Santa Fe along with the 2003 H-D CVO Road King and matching Bushtec trailer. The 2007 BMW R1200RT and 2006 Goldwing with Tailwind trailer (also towed by the Classic) spend time in Arizona. My wife has her 2006 Rebel in Arizona and got her endorsement but is not really interested in riding.

We pull out of the sub division onto a dual lane highway where it is posted (as a reference number) 65 mph so merging is not for an underpowered bike and a novice rider.

I have things pre positioned as I travel a lot by air and 'tis nice to have "toys" at my destinations that have appropriate garages for bikes and vehicles. I have decided the UK might not be a good place to ride on the wrong side of the road. I have a memory jogger for the car that the steering wheel belongs next to the center of the road. That is not quite the option on a bike.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in