R1200R gets good review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

R1200R gets good review

Air cooled twin comparo at http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...aro-64505.html .

Compared:
BMW R1200R
Ducati Multi-Strada
Buell Ulysess
Moto-Guzzi Breva

Though they picked the Multi-strada overall because of price: here is what they said about the R:
Quote:
The R1200R might very well be the best motorcycle of this group. Its muscular motor output should be a lesson to the Buell and Guzzi engineering staff, and it possesses an unflappable chassis that can also dice it up when the roads get twisty. Itís also full of high-spec componentry and inventive engineering, all of which comes at a price. While the other bikes in this group are in the $12,000-13,000 range, our R12R rings up in the $15,000 stratum. If cost is no object, the techie and competent Beemer wins.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 5:41 pm

I rode one, what a bike! Wheelies on command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:23 am

Re: R1200R gets good review

My dealer loaned me one last May for a week while my LT was in for service.
WOW what a bike! Very light and quick. Turn the throttle and your into the three digits with ease. The bike I rode had the small wind deflector/windshield that was completely worthless. That was my only complaint.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
The bike I rode had the small wind deflector/windshield that was completely worthless. That was my only complaint.
It is not completely worthless. It keeps the bugs off the back of the gauge pod.

Since I also have a large touring barge, I appreciate the "nakedness" of this bike, so the flyscreen is adequate for me. This is especially true in the summer when it is too hot to ride behind a fairing. I need AIR!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:36 am

Smile Re: R1200R gets good review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
It is not completely worthless. It keeps the bugs off the back of the gauge pod.

Since I also have a large touring barge, I appreciate the "nakedness" of this bike, so the flyscreen is adequate for me. This is especially true in the summer when it is too hot to ride behind a fairing. I need AIR!
Your right, but one night ridding along the Delaware River it deflected the bugs right into my helmet........could hardly see after 30 min. The shield that was on my 1200 GS did a better job. It wouldn't keep me from buying one as it's an easy fix. I still can't believe how powerful that motor is!
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 25th, 2008, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Bugs on helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
Your right, but one night ridding along the Delaware River it deflected the bugs right into my helmet........could hardly see after 30 min. The shield that was on my 1200 GS did a better job. It wouldn't keep me from buying one as it's an easy fix. I still can't believe how powerful that motor is!
This was not from the R1200R windshield, it was from about 10 miles along the rice fields in No Cal last year. I was on the KLR.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricebugsonhelmet.jpg
Views:	9947
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	16825  

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Just picked mine up day before yesterday. It's a 2008 with ABS and several other goodies like heated grips, BMW bags and windshield.

It's the best handling bike I've ever owned. Goes like stink and stops on a dime. 85 miles so far and will rack up more this weekend.
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermcoupe
Just picked mine up day before yesterday. It's a 2008 with ABS and several other goodies like heated grips, BMW bags and windshield.

It's the best handling bike I've ever owned. Goes like stink and stops on a dime. 85 miles so far and will rack up more this weekend.

Congrats. Be sure to check out the R12R forum.

http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:35 pm

616 miles on my 08 so far and am taking it in for my first service. Adding engine guards and Technik Windshield for a little better protection. Great bike and definitely one of the best kept secrets in their inventory.
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I've been really struggling of late whether to trade in my R 1150 R for the "new and improved " R 12 or go full up on the R 12 RT.......... Now I'm jonesin' for a more economical approach and go with the ever popular VStrom 650 and get out from under the fear of a Bike that may have a catastrophic repair bill.

Come on guys talk me out of it. LOL

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:39 pm

There is something about Beemers, they have so much soul, I love my RT12, I wish I could afford to have at least 3 more Beemers: 800ST, R1200R and the H2 Sport, I wish.

Michael
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Stixx,

I sold my 06 1200 RT for my new 1200r. I loved the RT but with the extra tupperware I always felt the bike was a little top heavy. Once I rode the 1200 R which is lighter, faster and more flickable, I knew I made the right decision. The aethestics are great and that boxer engine and heads sticking out the side is just fantastic. Try to get a demo bike and give it a try. You'll buy it!
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Bheckel,

I noticed you have a Versys. They will meet CA emissions standards next year.

What do you think of it?

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:26 am

Dan,

Fun bike and I thought this would be the perfect combination; 1200 RT for touring and the Versys for the twisties here in western North Carolina. The Versys is a blast but after having purchased the 1200 R there is simply no comparison and will probably sell the Versys. The 1200 R is superior in every way and the balance, power and flickability is amazing! I really think the 1200 R is the best bike in their inventory if you're not into long touring. Even then, with the right bag system, it will do the trick.
I took my bike in yesterday for its 600 mile service and two service technicians, the service manager and the owner of the dealership all told me the 1200 R was their favorite bike. They believed that if the 1200 R was priced a couple grand cheaper they'd be selling them like crazy. I can see why.
So much for the Versys.
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:21 am

Sell the Kwak sadly having worked for kawasaki in the past as TSD handling warranty claims and prepping press fleet bikes as well as R&D and tyre testing one thing I have noticed is the Quality has slipped over the last few years.Honda and Suzuki still seem OK, Kawasaki and Yamaha have had some issues
BMW and Triumph are the best for backing up the product followed closely by Honda and Yamaha.
Some others who shall remain nameless allow a Monthly budget to overrule warranty obligations unless pressured by Government legislation.
Regardless of the brand the Dealer can make a huge difference as my experience is Correct setup when new and Quality service will result in far less warranty issues
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Well I went with the RT after all and love it and now I have the "two up " beemer to die for in my view.

So all I need now is a nice R 1200 R to use in the summer. Them fairings are HOT in ninety degree weather ain't they? LOL

Good article good review.

FWIW. What made my mind up was stats. The R equipped the same as an RT costs within a grand of each other out the door and the resale in my area for RT's compared to R's is substantially more. Now we don't buy no stinkin bike on resale along but the specs made me think the ride gave me confidence I can do longer distances in relative comfort and who knows maybe the economy will turn around and I can get an R model too someday.
For now I think I made the right decision for me at least.

Good article indeed. Hey I love Guzzies too and I know where a new old stock o6 neked model is available for cheap. now that would be something best of both worlds . Italian and German bikes. whoah..........LOL

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Stixx,

Having owned the 06 1200 RT and sold it and now have the 08 1200 R I'm surprised to hear you say the two bikes are only a $1,000 difference. My 1200 RT loaded in 06 retailed at close to $20k out the door. My 1200 R went out the door at a little over 15k. That's with a windscreen and engine guards and I purchased a nice Tourmaster tri-bag system for $150. I can do distance but not as far as the RT but then, even with a new seat I wouldn't want to go more than 150 miles without getting off the bike. The 1200 R is lighter, more flickable and better balanced in my humble opinion so the tradeoff for me was financially better as well as experiencing a better performance in riding.
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 3:04 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
Well I went with the RT after all and love it and now I have the "two up " beemer to die for in my view.

So all I need now is a nice R 1200 R to use in the summer. Them fairings are HOT in ninety degree weather ain't they? LOL

Good article good review.

FWIW. What made my mind up was stats. The R equipped the same as an RT costs within a grand of each other out the door and the resale in my area for RT's compared to R's is substantially more. Now we don't buy no stinkin bike on resale along but the specs made me think the ride gave me confidence I can do longer distances in relative comfort and who knows maybe the economy will turn around and I can get an R model too someday.
For now I think I made the right decision for me at least.

Good article indeed. Hey I love Guzzies too and I know where a new old stock o6 neked model is available for cheap. now that would be something best of both worlds . Italian and German bikes. whoah..........LOL
What is the resale on a 2007 R1200R with 7,000 miles?

Thank You,
Geoff
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:39 pm

I just picked up my used 08'RT and coming from a 02'LT and after that a 00'RT I can say that the new ride feels so much lighter then either one. Of course the R1200R is lighter but I love the farkle's that come with the RT. Showing my age now.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in