Modular helmet input? Nolan vs Shoei? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Modular helmet input? Nolan vs Shoei?

Hi all,
What's everyone's opinion on modular helmets? I saw the Nolan N-102 with the bluetooth (that I don't need) but liked the modular flip up full face option. It gets so hot here on the ride home. But it can be just as cold on the ride in too. I'm looking for the best of both worlds. The Shoei is real nice but so is the price, and I may be buying two!!! And I really need advice on intercom too.
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:01 pm
Premium Vendor

Check out this thread. Many of us just picked up the Shoei Multitec from parts 411 for $338 delivered. Great helmet.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...multitec+steal

Tony 05
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:54 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Both are great helmets but.... They done fit the same you realy need to try both on. The Shoei did not fit me right but the Nolan did so.... guess what I wear?

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 8:15 am

I use the Nolan-102 flip. Love it! You have a multitude of options for riding. Closed tight, shield cracked, open, sunglass', etc. They are nice to flip open for picture taking, drinks, etc. Have heard others complain of wind noise, with the LT it seems to be no problem. The removable liner is nice for cleaning. It also has the quick latch, no D rings to fumble with. Definitely try the different makes on, they all fit different.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:09 am

Nolan N102........................
Going to try a Schuberth because the tinted shield inside makes more sense......if I can ever find a stocking dealer to try one on.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:32 am

Ya' gotta' try them on...

I've owned both, currently wear the Shoei Multitec. But you really HAVE to try both on, wear them for at least ten mins to make sure you like the fit.

The shoei is lighter, vents better, is quieter, shield replacement takes 1/10th the time and many say looks better.

The Nolan has an internal visor, a fantastic ratcheting fastener instead of d-rings that can be put on and taken off without removing your gloves, and is less expensive.

Nolan has a fully-removable liner, Shoei doesn't. Shoei has replaceable cheek pads for a custom fit, not sure about the Nolan.

If you get a group price, the Shoei will be about $100 or so more than the Nolan, but if it fits you better, and you keep it for the five years it's waranteed for, that averages out to, what, $1.67 a month?

Try them on, get what fits.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:41 am

Shoei doesn't fit my head so I have always used Nolan. I have the Nolan Xlite and can't recommend it. It is very noisy with the top vent open even on the LT. Not as comfortable or well made as my previous Nolan's. I love my older Nolan's and am actually thinking about pulling my Autocom headsets out of the Xlite and moving them back to my last N 102.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Shoei doesn't fit me either. I just bought an N102, as I couldn't find my favourite HJC in the right size, and it is really nice. I particularly like the shaded half visor. I only paid $294 - in New Hampshire. Bit noisy in the wind, but good enough.
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 2:07 pm

KBC now makes a nice modular as well. I've been very pleased with my fullface KBC.

I've had an HJC and didn't like the noise. Caberg and Shoei just don't fit me right, so I may have to try the KBC if I decide to go flipface. It's the only flipface that fits my goofy head.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 9:33 pm

I started with the Nolan 100e for our winter helmets. Fit was good, then puchased the Nolan N40 ??? open face with visor and flip up shield. Good summer helmet. Liked the Nolan N102 N-com and purchsed for both my self and wife. Never got a good fit on the 102 in the same size as the other Nolans. I made the mistake of trying on the Shoie Multitec. Fits my mellion well. Going to purchase one from parts411.com for $347.00. Still think the Nolan 102 looks better. But the fit is what you want. good luck.....

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in