Newbie w/r1150rt surge question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Newbie w/r1150rt surge question

Hi, I'm new to the board. I just purchased my first BMW: 03'r1150rt after selling a Honda ST1300. It was like riding on top of a furnace! My only problem with the RT is the surging. I have seen some info about different fixes, and seem to be steering toward the Techlusion 1332. Does this "totally" remove the surge? I have tuned the balanced the throttle bodies, adjusted the valves, removed the pink CCP, and installed Autolite 3923 plugs, and it probably reduced surge by 40%.
Is there someone out there with some personal experience with this fix?
Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:06 pm

I did all the work on my '97 RT 1100. It surged pretty good when I got it_used.

A large part of fix = spark plugs- not Autolite. I tried many plugs- Brisk, Bosch, NGK. The Bosch and NGK did best and made a significant reduction in surge.

Throttle body tuning.... a fiend suggested setting the TB at idle and then at the speed I ride at, say 3500 RPM. I used a fan to keep the motor cool during this, as I went back and forth between idle and for me 3800 rpm.

The valves I set fairly loose by my standards- ie, go/no go with next size up/down. This combined with plugs and TB made my bike really run like no other. In fact, a friend who had a 2002 1150 RT said my 1100 ran better than his. I agree.

I now have a 02 GSA that runs very good. The other day, I put Autolite plugs in and felt it didn't run as well. I am going back to the NGK $9 a-pop ones. Can't think of the number right now. The ones I took out were had dual electrodes. One 1150R owner said he liked the Split Fire Tri electrode ones. I just don't think the Autolite works as well. The Iridium plugs also worked well on my RT!! best on it, as I remember.

Be sure your air filter is clean.

After some input on riding in the bike's RPM power band, I now ride at a higher RPM more. I found that I tended to run my LT at about 3-4000 in the mountains. After learning more about power band, I went back to mountains and stayed in the 5-7000 range. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Now with my 02 1150 GSA, I find it really likes to stay up in the power band and that greatly reduces any tendency to surge or chug along. Motor just likes it. One service manager also said these motors need to be run and not lugged along.

hope some of this helps. Play with your Valve and TB settings. Nothing is sacred here and you might find your bike wants a slightly varied setting.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Go over to http://www.bmwst.com/ There is plenty on reducing surge. Most bikes can be cured with a careful valve adjustment followed by a throttle body sync.

If not, then I have an almost new Techlusion FI adjuster for sale if you want it. Many swear by this unit.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:10 pm

Talking

This is what I did Link.

My Tec is for sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in