R1100RT seat hight varies? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

R1100RT seat hight varies?

I've sat on three bikes and test drove only one. It was the only one I could touch the ground flat footed! The bike I sat on today had the seat all the way down and I could still only tippy toe. How could one bike be so different from the others? Aftermarket shocks (big money I just found out), or custom seat? I've found a great deal on a bike, but I don't feel safe on just my toes. Any ideas?
thanks, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Hi Jay My wife have the same problem, we shopped for R1200RT and R1200R today and she was on her toes. She likes it a lot better than Hondas or HD that also tested. I hope someone has the answer to how to lower the bike to at least 28" Jay lets hope for good advice
Welcome to the site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
Hi Jay My wife have the same problem, we shopped for R1200RT and R1200R today and she was on her toes. She likes it a lot better than Hondas or HD that also tested. I hope someone has the answer to how to lower the bike to at least 28" Jay lets hope for good advice
Welcome to the site
I called the owner to ask if the shock preload was cranked up and if I could turn it down and sit on it again. He told me that he thought the preload was way up for riding with his wife on the back, and that he changed his mind about selling the bike!!!!! CRAP! I should have written him a check the day before!!! I also found out the the '01 model has a "comfort" seat that is wider than ever before. Which makes the ground seem farther away as your legs are spread further apart. I called around to find that lower shocks and springs will run about $1200, and a seat redo about $300. For what that's worth! Still looking.
Jay

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:09 pm

On the 07 R1200RT the ESA has 3 spring heights and 2 seats. If the ESA was set for 2 people and you had the tall seat it would be substantially higher than if the esa was set for 1 person with the low seat. So the variation make sense.
You can also cut the rubber bumpers that locate the rear of the seat. I cut 1/2" off mine and it helped. But there is a trade off. Lowering the seat bends your legs more while riding. It cramped mine.
Finally I just bought a Rocky Meyer seat.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 7:43 pm

I am going tomorrow to Max BMW in NH for tire change in my LT and my wife will see the RT and R models for her and will see if they can lower a bike and how much in $$$ and distance. Will look for useones in inventory and see what they have.

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

I know what you mean about cramping your legs. My Sportster is doing the same thing to me. The 1100RT I rode was tight but not cramped until I hit the brakes. I slid forward against the tank, which I hear is common. But, boy does that bike handle so much better than the Harley. Anyone what a great deal on an '02 Sportster 1200?

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebjones906
On the 07 R1200RT the ESA has 3 spring heights and 2 seats. If the ESA was set for 2 people and you had the tall seat it would be substantially higher than if the esa was set for 1 person with the low seat. So the variation make sense.
You can also cut the rubber bumpers that locate the rear of the seat. I cut 1/2" off mine and it helped. But there is a trade off. Lowering the seat bends your legs more while riding. It cramped mine.
Finally I just bought a Rocky Meyer seat.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 7:18 pm

"seat height"

Jay

I've had a number of saddles on my R1150RT. To name them, a Russell, a Sargent, a Bill Mayer, a stock narrow BMW saddle, and a BMW comfort saddle. I also have 29" inseam. The Sargent, Mayer, and narrow BMW were the "lowest", allowing me to have more of my foot on the ground. The Russell and the BMW comfort the "highest", being more tippy toes. The width of the nose of the saddle is a major factor to how you can stand at a stop. The saddle height is another factor, in that some are higher than others. Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in