Hot Weather Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Hot Weather Gear

I was wondering if anybody out there has tried the cooling vest made by Silver eagle. I would appreciate any comments on the effectiveness of the vest and if it is worth the money ($95) or any experiences you have with it.

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 9:13 am

Thumbs up Cooling vest

I have the cooling vest and have used it several times in the past two years. I wear it under a First Gear mesh jacket and it does a pretty good job. I rode when the temperature was 102 and stopped several times to wet it down. Got it too wet and got my bottom wet.
post #3 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 9:42 am

Thumbs up

I have one and love it. Here in CA it's dry enough that the evaporative properties really cool you quite well. Make sure you don't get one that is too large. I have an XL, and I am 6'3" 44L jacket size.

I just did a SS1000 through our heat wave, and was comfortable. On very hot days, you wet it down again every hour and a half to two hours.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvingee43
I have the cooling vest and have used it several times in the past two years. I wear it under a First Gear mesh jacket and it does a pretty good job. I rode when the temperature was 102 and stopped several times to wet it down. Got it too wet and got my bottom wet.
Does it work well in high humidity?

I have a First Gear mesh jacket & have been wearing an Under Armour Heat Gear long sleeved top underneath. So far, I have been pretty comfortable, but when the temps & humidity get into the 90s, it isn't nearly as effective as with the higher temps & low humidity. Though it's still much better than a cotton T-shirt under the First Gear mesh.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #5 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:23 am

I used mine in Richmond, VA once. Humid! Didn't work nearly as well, IMO.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:57 pm

High Humidity - Naaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Does it work well in high humidity?

I have a First Gear mesh jacket & have been wearing an Under Armour Heat Gear long sleeved top underneath. So far, I have been pretty comfortable, but when the temps & humidity get into the 90s, it isn't nearly as effective as with the higher temps & low humidity. Though it's still much better than a cotton T-shirt under the First Gear mesh.
I did read somewhere that the evaporating vests don't work as well in high humidity. Wish it did as I thought I'd die from the heat today in Florida. Humidity must have been at least 95% when it wasn't raining. Actually the rain cooled things down and helped the ride as far as comfort was concerned... I don't own a vest and if I'm wrong please let me know.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Jul 6th, 2007 at 2:57 pm.
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I did read somewhere that the evaporating vests don't work as well in high humidity. Wish it did as I thought I'd die from the heat today in Florida. Humidity must have been at least 95% when it wasn't raining. Actually the rain cooled things down and helped the ride as far as comfort was concerned... I don't own a vest and if I'm wrong pleas let me know.
Has anyone tried a non-evaporative vest such as this one?:
http://my.dmci.net/~watkinsrd/KoolJacket.htm

And air conditioned helmet, would be my first choice, but given what they cost and the bulk of the components, they're not a practical alternative.

http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page.../helmetcooling

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I did read somewhere that the evaporating vests don't work as well in high humidity. Wish it did as I thought I'd die from the heat today in Florida. Humidity must have been at least 95% when it wasn't raining. Actually the rain cooled things down and helped the ride as far as comfort was concerned... I don't own a vest and if I'm wrong please let me know.
Dano, if you try an evaporating vest in FL, you'll feel like your under a wet wool blanket! That's how it felt to me in VA.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Dano, if you try an evaporating vest in FL, you'll feel like your under a wet wool blanket! That's how it felt to me in VA.
Dats sorta what I thought. I just don't think there is a comfortable solution to riding in Florida in the summer. If I didn't have to stop and start or get stuck in traffic, it would be OK, but that is not the case. It is just DAMN HOT !!!!! Can't wait for fall, my favorite time of the year around here....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Has anyone tried a non-evaporative vest such as this one?:
http://my.dmci.net/~watkinsrd/KoolJacket.htm

And air conditioned helmet, would be my first choice, but given what they cost and the bulk of the components, they're not a practical alternative.

http://www.fastraceproducts.com/page.../helmetcooling
I own a phase change vest manufactured by a different company. It works really well, but will only last about 1.5 hours and then it needs to be recharged... while it is true they will re-freeze quickly in a chest full of ice water, ice water is not all that easy to come by when your out on the road. I am sure the KoolRider is very similar.
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:32 pm

BTW, mine is a Texas Cool Vest. The only reason I bought it was because when the war first started, they were shipping a lot of them to Iraq for our soldiers to use, so I figured they must work... and they do work... if you have a ice chest full of ice water you can throw the packs into every hour or hour and a half, they would work great.
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:05 pm
fas

Ride naked and you will be more comfortable.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 26 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I've seen these products and wondered how they work. So what's the bottom line: does the Silver Eagle or similar product work in our humid summer weather? Even if it lasted for only an hour or so I'd be willing to stop and wet it down or whatever it takes, if practical.

I've heard some users say it feels slimy and gross to wear. Comments?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 26 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:12 pm

PCM vest are not slimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've seen these products and wondered how they work. So what's the bottom line: does the Silver Eagle or similar product work in our humid summer weather? Even if it lasted for only an hour or so I'd be willing to stop and wet it down or whatever it takes, if practical.

PCM vests use a solution that actually freezes at around 60 degrees or so. The one I have has four removable packets (two in front and two in the back) that contain the solution. The vest is not even wet. I have found the the solution will keep you cool about 1 to 1.5 hours and then it has to be re-frozen. Since it freezes at around 60 degrees, it will freeze in ice water or a refrigerator. You could also carry extra solution packs in an ice chest.
post #15 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 8:28 am

Which model do you have, Dean? Do you know if the Texas Cool Vest's Heavy Duty model allows for longer cooling than their standard models?

I also found this company that makes quite a few different products, including PC vests for dogs & helmet coolers:
http://50degree.com/

They also sell a 12v personal charging unit that can cool 2 vests at a time, but I don't know if it will charge a pack at the same rate the packs one is wearing are dis-charging. I tried to call them just now, but had to leave a voice mail.

Sounds like Phase Change is the way to go.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

I have one (Silver Eagle) and love it. Here in CA it's DRY enough that the evaporative properties really cool you quite well. Make sure you don't get one that is too large. I have an XL, and I am 6'3" 44L jacket size.

I just did a SS1000 through our heat wave (103 degrees), and was comfortable. On very hot DRY days, you wet it down again every hour and a half to two hours. It can last quite a bit longer if heat isn't extreme.

Yes, if you put it on too wet, you'll get wet. The secret is to put it on fairly damp, rather than soaking wet. "Recharge" requires about 24 oz. of plain old water and a plastic bag. Easily done while on the road. If it's too wet when you go to put it back on, just wring it out a bit, and wipe down the inside with the palm of your hand.

DOES NOT work well in HUMID locations (see earlier comments about when I used it in Richmond, VA) unless you enjoy the feeling of being under a wet wool blanket. In high humidity, the evaporative qualities are highly restricted, so much MUCH less cooling effect.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:16 pm

cooling vest tip

Just spent the weekend riding in constant 113 degrees, with a hot spot of 117. The Owens Valley and across the central valley. The wet vest works fine, as has been mentioned. But I discovered when I put my CB(-2) windshield all the way up, the backflow hit me in the back of the neck and shoulders and really increased the cooling effect of the vest.
post #18 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Ride naked and you will be more comfortable.
Not really. Ever notice how desert dwellers are always covered from head to toe? Sometimes, layering up to block the sun is better than stripping off (not to mention the possible road rash issues). But of course, you knew that already.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 26 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I have one (Silver Eagle) and love it. Here in CA it's DRY enough that the evaporative properties really cool you quite well. Make sure you don't get one that is too large. I have an XL, and I am 6'3" 44L jacket size.

I just did a SS1000 through our heat wave (103 degrees), and was comfortable. On very hot DRY days, you wet it down again every hour and a half to two hours. It can last quite a bit longer if heat isn't extreme.

Yes, if you put it on too wet, you'll get wet. The secret is to put it on fairly damp, rather than soaking wet. "Recharge" requires about 24 oz. of plain old water and a plastic bag. Easily done while on the road. If it's too wet when you go to put it back on, just wring it out a bit, and wipe down the inside with the palm of your hand.

DOES NOT work well in HUMID locations (see earlier comments about when I used it in Richmond, VA) unless you enjoy the feeling of being under a wet wool blanket. In high humidity, the evaporative qualities are highly restricted, so much MUCH less cooling effect.
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. Since our hottest days are almost always accompanied by high humidity, it doesn't seem to make sense to have one in Ohio or states with similar summer weather.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 26 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:00 pm

I spoke with a woman at http://50degree.com/ about their phase change vests. She rides in FL and says the phase change packs stay cool for up to 3 hours, & recharge in 20 minutes in ice water. She also said they no longer sell the 12v refrigeration units. She also said the packs take a little longer to charge in the refrigeration or freezer units, but not longer than it would take the pack being used in the vest to discharge.

FL is a lot more humid than MN, which is where I do most of my riding. I ordered a couple of their helmet coolers & may wind up ordering a vest if the helmet coolers work out.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Quote:
I spoke with a woman at http://50degree.com/ about their phase change vests. She rides in FL and says the phase change packs stay cool for up to 3 hours, & recharge in 20 minutes in ice water. She also said they no longer sell the 12v refrigeration units. She also said the packs take a little longer to charge in the refrigeration or freezer units, but not longer than it would take the pack being used in the vest to discharge.

FL is a lot more humid than MN, which is where I do most of my riding. I ordered a couple of their helmet coolers & may wind up ordering a vest if the helmet coolers work out.
Be sure to give us a report on that helmet cooler! Thanks.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Sure will, Brian. It should be here on Monday & I think we're suppose to have hot muggy weather next week.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #23 of 26 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:20 am

Quote:

I bought a hard hat cooler a few years ago, but could not make it work in my helmet. There isn't much spare room in a properly fitted helmet, so I hope it works for you.
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:55 am

That's sort of what I was afraid of. My helmet has very little room as it is, so I'm guessing the thing will be too thick to be able to use.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:17 pm

I finally tried the helmet cooler. I have very little room in my helmet, so the helmet sits a little higher on my head. As the media in the phase change packet melts, the helmet gets a little looser. Media only lasts about 45 min/hr in 90 degree heat.

I can see how they might give some releif on a hot day, but I think a phase change vest would work just fine.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #26 of 26 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:05 am

Cooling Vests

Bought the Cool Sport Motorcycle Cooling Vest.
http://www.coolsport.net/index2.html
It's discussed in earlier postings.
Cotton vest with two front and two rear pockets
that each hold a phase change material (PCM) cooling pack.
The PCM packs take about 20 minutes to recharge in ice water,
about an hour in the freezer.
Bought two sets of PCM packs.
One set to wear and one set to recharge
in the cooler on my Bushtec Quantum trailer.
Works for about an hour or more per charge.
Only a few minutes to swap out.
Have kept the spares in a small cooler when not pulling the trailer.
Comfortable, but a little bulky.

Later, bought the Chill Out evaporative vest.
Shango Rider had it at the GA Mountain Rally.
Bought the cowboy-style vest since it was shorter than the unisex vest.
Comes with a big plastic bag.
Fill with some water, soak the vest for about ten-fifteen minutes.
Even better, if you add ice.....
Wring out excess, if desired.
Feels about fifteen degrees cooler than ambient temp.

I use it under my RevIt Air Force or BMW Venting Jacket.
Not as cool as a PCM jacket, but easier to use.
Unlike the PCM, expect to get a little damp.
I like it since it takes up less room (vest + plastic bag).
When you stop for a beverage and bathroom break, get a beverage.
Add water and ice to the bag, soak the vest,
By the time you've finished the beverage,the vest is ready.

Haven't tried the Silver Eagle vest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in