Getting further from the ground - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 10th, 2007, 3:41 am Thread Starter

Getting further from the ground

I have a 2000 R1100R, which is a totally fabulous bike except that the seat is just a bit too low and on a long ride my legs get way too stiff. I even take to stretching them out over the top of the cylinders, but that's not too good for the leather on the back of the boots... With the seat set at its highest I can place both feet flat on the ground well out from the bike. I have a Corbin seat, incidentally.

Does anyone know of a seat raising kit? Another inch or so would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 21st, 2007, 6:18 pm

I'm still looking for my first beemer, but I had to laugh at your problem. I'm just the opposite! I'm usually on tippy toes!

I was reading some BMW "Owners News" mags and saw an article on different seat pads. Would that help, or would you hate it? If you're interested, I can try and find the article again and give you some names and maybe web-sites.
jay
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:56 am Thread Starter

Jay:

The thing that amazes me is that I'm only 6' tall and have a 32" inside leg! I did replace the stock BMW seat with a Corbin, and it's on the highest setting - I suppose after 20-odd thousand miles it's settled a bit, but I would definitely like to sit just a bit higher. Or I could wear boots with thinner soles....

Maybe you could consider an R1100R with the seat on the lowest setting??? We use ours for touring - with the Corbin seat for comfort and a decent windshield it's protection is 'fair'. Luggage is good - hard panniers, a Givi topbox and a tank bag hold more than we need for 2-3 weeks. With all the luggage off and riding solo the bike is supremely handle-able and has plenty of power. Mind you, I'm looking forward to a long trip (4-5k mi) on the 1200RT starting mid-August...

Brian

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:37 pm

I'm new to BMW. Is the R model without the lower fairing and little more forward on the bars? BMW's are very rare here in the heartland of the US. You just don't see them every day. We're driving to Louisville, KY tomorrow to the nearest dealer to kick a few tires. About a two hour drive. We were in the UK about five years ago and were shocked at the price of gas, we now feel your pain in the US. We'll take the wife's diesel and rattle and stink the whole way
Jay
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 4:19 am Thread Starter

Here's a pic of me on my R1100R. This was taken before I added the Giivi topbox - which was a bit of a pain with the Corbin seat. I ended up using an R1150RS Givi plate suitably mounted on the European BMW rack. That rack isn't standard on US bikes - they used to come just with pillion handles as you see in the pic, whereas the EU rack is short but useful. The standard Givi plate for the R1100R won't fit with the Corbin seat as the seat is slightly longer than the standard BMW one (which is uncomfortable anyway!). The backrest would have had to come off too, which SWMBO wouldn't allow...

Enjoy kicking the tyres! I'll bet you will fall in love with the bikes after you ride one.

post #6 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 7:43 pm

Nice looking bike! I haven't seen one yet. At least the dealer didn't have one there today. He did have a couple R1150RS's. Looked like the bars are a little farther forward than the RT and no lower fairing. One had been layed down! Ouch! But, a real nice dealership. The people are great too. I left my info and what I'm looking for. Let's see how long before they call me...
Jay
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Just got back from a short tour into France - in spite of the rain! The main problem I face is that my left calf muscle cramps up after 150 miles or so. I don't want to lower the pegs as I scrape my boot in some of the bends anyway, but I do need to get my legs a bit straighter...

Other than that it's a great bike. We averaged 40.6 mph overall, top speed 101, (both of those from the gps) 51 mpg, and covered just under 800 miles in 5 days. The touring speed was down a bit from our previous average (46 mph) as we took a lot of back roads around the Loire and Normandy instead of speeding south and then touring, so the fast part of the ride was short this time - just 36 miles to the port for the ferry!
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:58 pm

Oh man I would love to go to Normandy. I have a strong intrest in WWII and would love to see that part of the world. I have an original Ford GPW "jeep" made just before the war ended. I even have a dummy 50 cal machine gun I mount up once in a while. I picked up the owner of my company at the airport in my jeep a couple years ago, no gun mounted, and the homeland security guy about had a fit!!! I got stopped and searched.
Jay
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 6:07 am Thread Starter

Be fun to mount a dummy 50-cal on the bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in