Looking for my first BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Looking for my first BMW

Hi All,

I'm looking to sell my Harley and face the facts and buy my first BMW. Done laughing yet?!?! Anyway, I've always had champane taste and beer budget. I watch Good Eats and fell in love with Alton Brown's R1100RT. I've read good things and bad. It was THE sport tour bike when it first came out, but now I'm reading about bad clutches and weak trannies. True?

Back to my budget, I would love a 1150RT. But I know I'll end up with an 1100RT. Is it better to spend less on a higher mileage bike and be ready to put a couple grand into repairs, or wait and put more into a lower mileage bike right off the bat? Even if it takes a year to save up the cash?

That being said, I'm off on a road trip Saturday to the local dealer to see if my feet will even reach the pavement!!!!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:19 pm

I've been enthralled at my nearly 3 years of banishment from HD... It's great!

Oh.. I only rode them for 38 years.... so I know what I'm "missing".....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjeep
Hi All,

Back to my budget, I would love a 1150RT. But I know I'll end up with an 1100RT. Is it better to spend less on a higher mileage bike and be ready to put a couple grand into repairs, or wait and put more into a lower mileage bike right off the bat? Even if it takes a year to save up the cash?

Jay
Old(er) bikes with low mileage scare me more than bikes with higher mileage. You'll spend less repairing worn out parts (not much wears out) than trying to recondition a bike that's been sitting a long time, might look good but inside things are not so good.

Find one that's been rode regularly and recently. If low mileage, all the better, but someone else has gotten all the pieces back in working order.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

post #4 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 5:40 am

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm looking to sell my Harley and face the facts and buy my first BMW. Done laughing yet?!?! Anyway, I've always had champane taste and beer budget. I watch Good Eats and fell in love with Alton Brown's R1100RT. I've read good things and bad. It was THE sport tour bike when it first came out, but now I'm reading about bad clutches and weak trannies. True?

That being said, I'm off on a road trip Saturday to the local dealer to see if my feet will even reach the pavement!!!!

Jay
So many variables. What a crap shoot unless you know the history of an older bike. For starters, what kind of budget are you considering and what kind of time frame are you expecting? If you're not in a hurry and the price is right then there are lots of gems out there. Also, are you mechanically capable or prefer letting someone else do the wrenching for basic upkeep?
post #5 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

I'm a pretty handy guy, I did the 1200cc upgrade with new cams on my 883cc Sportster myself, but I'm afraid of what I've read about beemer clutches and trannies going out. Everyone says it's a big money repair and a big hassle to do it yourself.

I'll be happy to get $6k for the Sporty and they just happen to have a '97 R1100RT with 58K on it for $6K at my "local" dealer.

Something else I read last night was the weight difference in the two bikes. The Sporty is only about 580lbs and the Beemer comes in at about 1000lbs. Yikes! Maybe I should be looking at the "S" model? Can you mount bags to them?

Thanks, Jay
post #6 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 7:35 pm

1000 lbs ??????
I don't think so...................................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
1000 lbs ??????
I don't think so...................................
How much then? I've never even seen one except in the magazines. Hopefully I'll get my first look tomorrow!!! I'm so excited!

Thanks, Jay
post #8 of 22 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Quote:
How much then? I've never even seen one except in the magazines. Hopefully I'll get my first look tomorrow!!! I'm so excited!

Thanks, Jay
According to this site,
http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/r11rt.html
weight is 622 pounds.
I've ridden them as service loaners and they don't feel anywhere near that heavy. Enjoy the look - and test ride tomorrow.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #9 of 22 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
According to this site,
http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/r11rt.html
weight is 622 pounds.
I've ridden them as service loaners and they don't feel anywhere near that heavy. Enjoy the look - and test ride tomorrow.
Thanks! That puts my mind at ease. I went from my GPZ550 to my brother in law's Gold Wing one time, and thought to myself, "what a pig!".

I probably won't get a test ride tomorrow, but I need to find out if my feet will touch the ground. My buddy has an older GS that was way too tall for me. I guess we'll find out if a beemer is in my future tomorrow.
Thanks All!
post #10 of 22 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Well, the trip to the dealer was a waste of time and gas. They were having some sort of party and the place was packed. There was nobody in the store and the heavy metal music was louder than my Harley.

I did get a chance to sit on the R1100RT. I was on tippytoes! And it felt every bit over 600lbs. But that may be because I was on my toes. I had no way of telling where the seat was in it's adjustment range, so we just left. It is a very strange set up for a dealer. The BMW side is its own walled off little store inside the larger, all model, sales floor. BMW mandated maybe? The little room was so packed with about a dozen bikes I could only sit on about three. No price tags or make or year info on anything except the new bikes. I'll give the dealer in Louisville, KY a call and see if he is a little more helpful. Until then maybe I'll check out the Honda shop. The wife keeps asking what I have against the Goldwing.
post #11 of 22 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Quote:

Jay
This has to be one of the all time questions, I tried to let it pass. Can't
Get your ass on a bike and ride it, you maybe dead next year.
WRITE THIS DOWN
No amount of money can add time to your life
However if you have time you can always make money.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #12 of 22 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
This has to be one of the all time questions, I tried to let it pass. Can't
Get your ass on a bike and ride it, you maybe dead next year.
WRITE THIS DOWN
No amount of money can add time to your life
However if you have time you can always make money.
Rock
Hmmm. Great theology. My problem with the BMW I looked at today was the butt fit, but my feet barely touched the ground!
post #13 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:01 pm

You may want to take a look at the R1200C. If you take good care of a BMW you can put many miles on it. It does not matter how many miles as much as how well it is care of. You should be able to find a r1200c in your price with out much of a problem.It has a look all of its own. ( one of those if I have to tell you, you would not understand deals ). It is a bike that is not seen often. I would say the r1200c is about 50% cruiser,30% sport and 20%touring. As for the RT that is the next bike for me. I will always hold on to the r1200c but I think the Rt will see many more miles when I get one of my own. No matter what model you buy, Try to meet the owner. Most of the time you can get a feel for how the bike was taken care of. Good Luck. Many safe miles to you. Uncle Rock I wish I could put words together as well as you. Kola1
post #14 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:14 pm

I recently sold my '83 R100RT
It was a tad over 500 lbs wet
When I first got her, I thought it was the tallest bike in the world.never could stand flat footed..but after awhile. you just get familiar and think nothing of it.....
Karen and I put a lot of miles on that bike and with the Nikasill juggs, they just run forever.......
Another thing I loved about the old airheads is that I could put new rings in, in the motel parking lot and be on my way by noon........................................
Keep looking...you'll find the bike that fits ya'.............................................
See ya' out there.............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 22 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

While at the dealer I think I saw the strangest bike I've ever seen. A Hog V8. It had a 502ci chevy V8 and a tank about four feet wide. The rear tire was at least 18 inches wide! You have to wonder what that thing tipped the scales at?

I'm going to keep looking. I need to find someone, maybe throught this forum, that has reduced the seat heighth to somethink I can handle. I usually wear pants with a 30 in inseam, and I think my Sportster seat is at about 27". I think I could handle a seat at 30".
Jay
post #16 of 22 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 1:25 pm

hey flyingjeep, I see your in Brownsburg, I went to high school there back in the 70's. What "local" dealer are you talking about? I thought all the BMW dealers in the Indianapolis area had clsed down. I too am looking for my first BMW and have talked with the guys down in Louisville and they have confirmed a rumor I heard here in Indy that they were working with BMW to open a shop here in town. Anyway, good luck
post #17 of 22 Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy
hey flyingjeep, I see your in Brownsburg, I went to high school there back in the 70's. What "local" dealer are you talking about? I thought all the BMW dealers in the Indianapolis area had clsed down. I too am looking for my first BMW and have talked with the guys down in Louisville and they have confirmed a rumor I heard here in Indy that they were working with BMW to open a shop here in town. Anyway, good luck
Hi Bigeasy,
I went to Fort Wayne. Not much of a dealer. I found the best deal on a BMW and the color bike I wanted at my closest Honda dealer here in Indianapolis at Dryer. But I like the way I sat on the Honda ST1100 better. The problem is the Honda dealer was a bit rude today. I went during my lunch to test ride the bike, I called ahead, but he decided his cell phone call was more important than trying to sell me the bike. He turned his back to me without a word and walked away talking to his phone. I was so pissed I had to control myself. It was way overpriced anyway.
post #18 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:33 am

It is amazing how cell phones have turned our world around, crazy! Good luck, hope you find something
post #19 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 9:43 am

Quote:
Hi All,

Jay
well you have a HD now right?, what's wrong with it?
if nothing then keep it because any machine you buy you are liable to have problems with

now to the subject at hand buying low mileage later or buying whatever mileage now

I'm not one fond of older low mileage bikes, if your looking for low mileage buy new or buy a year old bike something still under warranty

if you want to save money go for a higher mile bike that is not too old, Why you ask?
well because higher mileage bikes have not been sitting around letting things inside rust or accumulate moisture that will cause premature failures

for instance I would buy a high mileage 02 over a low mileage 02 any day, your going to save money and chances are that all the bugs have been worked out and nothing has been sitting long enough for things to start rusting like tranny gears bearings seals slave cyls brake cyls ect ect

the 1100RT was/is a fine bike , you should be able to get a good deal on one but do not limit your search to a R1100RT , look for the 1150's as well, you mihgt be surprised what you will find that has a few more miles on it, some of these bikes are known to be good for several hundred thousand miles
JMHO working on bikes for longer than I care to admit

Tom

Tom

Last edited by tmgs; Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:48 am.
post #20 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
well you have a HD now right?, what's wrong with it?
if nothing then keep it because any machine you buy you are liable to have problems with

now to the subject at hand buying low mileage later or buying whatever mileage now

I'm not one fond of older low mileage bikes, if your looking for low mileage buy new or buy a year old bike something still under warranty

if you want to save money go for a higher mile bike that is not too old, Why you ask?
well because higher mileage bikes have not been sitting around letting things inside rust or accumulate moisture that will cause premature failures

for instance I would buy a high mileage 02 over a low mileage 02 any day, your going to save money and chances are that all the bugs have been worked out and nothing has been sitting long enough for things to start rusting like tranny gears bearings seals slave cyls brake cyls ect ect

the 1100RT was/is a fine bike , you should be able to get a good deal on one but do not limit your search to a R1100RT , look for the 1150's as well, you mihgt be surprised what you will find that has a few more miles on it, some of these bikes are known to be good for several hundred thousand miles
JMHO working on bikes for longer than I care to admit

Tom

Tom
I hear ya Tom. Right now there is a Honda ST1100 in MI for $7900 that has only 1700 miles on it. I may be a little crazy, but I'm not stupid. That bike must have rusty cylinders!!!

I found a R1100RT for a geat price, but with the miles on it I'm worried about a clutch job in the future. Can anyone tell me what a new clutch will cost if done by a shop?
post #21 of 22 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Quote:
I hear ya Tom. Right now there is a Honda ST1100 in MI for $7900 that has only 1700 miles on it. I may be a little crazy, but I'm not stupid. That bike must have rusty cylinders!!!

I found a R1100RT for a geat price, but with the miles on it I'm worried about a clutch job in the future. Can anyone tell me what a new clutch will cost if done by a shop?

guessin about 1200? havent seen too many go bad even with high mileage, but I would ask a trusting BMW tech to be sure, as I have not been arouund bmws but since '02

BTW that is a ton of money for a ST1100 they seem to be closer to 5k all the time around these parts and sometimes 4-4500

Tom
post #22 of 22 Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

I just had to report in on my first BMW ride. I loved it!!! But I will not buy it.

It just won't idle. I don't remember how many times I had to restart it on my test ride. I think the ABS is bad too. Brakes, tires, ect... But, I love the way it handles!!! The Harley is for sale and I'll keep looking for the "right" bike.

All of you "twin" owners will get a kick out of my surprise at the torque of this "sideways" twin the first time I revved it up. I was just trying to keep it running and grabbed a handfull of throttle and damn near dropped the bike in the dealers lot!!! It almost fell over on it's right side

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in