Gas tank reserve - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 29th, 2007, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Gas tank reserve

Here's a silly question. How do you switch the gas from main to off or to reserve on an R1150RT? The manual says it has a reserve, but doesn't say how to switch it.

The manual also left me wondering how to check the oil level. I have ridden bikes for about 30 years, built a few hot rods and am generally pretty capable with servicing motors. Peaking through a little window in the lower fairing is a long way from the Harleys that I am used to dealing with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 12:08 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepawa
Here's a silly question. How do you switch the gas from main to off or to reserve on an R1150RT? The manual says it has a reserve, but doesn't say how to switch it.

The manual also left me wondering how to check the oil level. I have ridden bikes for about 30 years, built a few hot rods and am generally pretty capable with servicing motors. Peaking through a little window in the lower fairing is a long way from the Harleys that I am used to dealing with.
There is no switch or petcock. The low fuel light will come on when you have about a gallon left. Just like a newer car.

There is an oil site glass under the left cylinder head. The level should be visible in the red circle when the bike is on the center stand.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 12:14 am

I'll add a little to what Ted said about checking the oil. On all my oil heads I've had to be carefull about how I check the oil so I don't over fill.
If you just pop the RT on the center stand right away you may get at false low reading. After riding a least 5 or so miles and the engine is fully warm let the bike sit on the side stand for about ten minutes then put the RT up on the center stand. This allows the oil cooler to drain, this worked on my RT and also currently on my 05 GS.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 12:16 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
I'll add a little to what Ted said about checking the oil. On all my oil heads I've had to be carefull about how I check the oil so I don't over fill.
If you just pop the RT on the center stand right away you may get at false low reading. After riding a least 5 or so miles and the engine is fully warm let the bike sit on the side stand for about tem minutes then put the RT up on the center stand. This allows the oil cooler to drain, this worked on my RT and also currently on my 05 GS.
Good point John. Also, if you ARE low on oil, never add much. A 1/4 of a quart usually does the trick...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in