1962/1963 R69S -Check it, Rothermel! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Apr 26th, 2007, 9:34 am Thread Starter

1962/1963 R69S -Check it, Rothermel!

The bike shop I've been hanging out at lately had a guy bring in his 1962 or 1963 (no "vin tag" and I forgot what the very eccentric tech said it was) R69S in for some work, and I thought some of you might find it as "neat" as I did...particularly what I was told was "the rather rare cowling/fairing on it."

I took a couple close-up shots to show that fiberglass work has come a LONG way in the last 24 years...apparently the flawless exterior was the only thing they were concerned with, as the inside looked a lot like one of the scenes from the movie Aliens.

The bike made me drool so much that the tech handed me a shop rag--too bad the bastard handed me an oily one, because I got it all over my face...creme paint, etc. I was sad that much of the internals from the transmission back were out for gasket replacements, etc, because this was really a beautiful machine.

No clue how much something like this would cost, but to me it looked like the kind of thing that I dream about once in a while---you know, that dream we all have of stumbling across an old barn with a sign in front advertising a "yard sale" and seeing an oily tarp in the back with 30 years of dust and junk on it, and asking the farmer's widow what's underneath, and being told "oh some hunk of junk motorSICKLE ol' Paw used to mess with that I wish I could get rid of" that you uncover and find something like THIS underneath.,..

Well, my version of that dream also includes Carmen Electra and a truckload of whipped creme, but that's another post...

Anyway, after Dick Rothermel shared the incredible end product on his new wheels, I thought he'd appreciate these shots, and maybe some of you as well...

The owner of the bike said he'd never sell it, but for curiosity's sake (not that I'd ever buy it) I bet someone here knows the value and whether the fairing is rare (and HOW rare)...the guys at the shop were as intrigued as I was...share it if you know it.

Have a great week...err, what's left of it.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	11220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	11221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	11222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	11223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	11224  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	11225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	11226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	11227  

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in