New owner 1995 R1100R 38k on the clock - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 8:20 am Thread Starter

New owner 1995 R1100R 38k on the clock

Howdy guys, new to the BMW motorcycle scene, I have had 2 Honda CBRs from the 2000 era previously and decided to try something new this time. I own 2 BMW cars, so I know what a wonderful product BMW makes.

I need to know what needs to be looked at as far as problem areas go. I will be changing all the fluids soon, using synthetics.

Do I need to adjust the valves? Change any belts? What needs to be done or looked at? I have a local BMW bike shop but don't want to pay the $87 an hour for them to look it over.

I did notice the steering damper seems loose and the bushing is rotted. The handle bars, if turned to the left will touch the tank and I have a feeling it's not supposed to do that...

Any and a lot of info and help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 2:26 am

I picked up a '95 1100r a couple of years ago, it's been a lot of fun. And the three way adjustable seat works for my daughter when she rides.
Without documentation I would do a complete service to include all fluids and valve adjusts. Do not forget brake fluid. Pull the cover off the front of the engine and inspect the belt. If you do not have access to a twin max for balancing the throttle bodies, you may have to see the dealer, especially if it's not running as smooth as you think it should. this gives you a base line for future service and ensures everything is in good shape from the gitgo.
I'd be concerned about the bar hitting the tank, mine does not do that.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn
I picked up a '95 1100r a couple of years ago, it's been a lot of fun. And the three way adjustable seat works for my daughter when she rides.
Without documentation I would do a complete service to include all fluids and valve adjusts. Do not forget brake fluid. Pull the cover off the front of the engine and inspect the belt. If you do not have access to a twin max for balancing the throttle bodies, you may have to see the dealer, especially if it's not running as smooth as you think it should. this gives you a base line for future service and ensures everything is in good shape from the gitgo.
I'd be concerned about the bar hitting the tank, mine does not do that.
Adjustable seat? I just got a 98 R1100RT with a Russal seat and have had the seat off a few times, but it's adjustable?

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:11 am

is it a 1100R? or RT?

I know the R is adjustable by unbolting the forward mount under the seat and moving it to a new higher or lower "step"
If you have the RT I think the forward underseat mount is spring loaded and you just pull up and move it to a different position. I just can't remember if it is a 2 or 3 position seat, but there are folks around here that should know, just go to the RT section.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:42 am

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the BMW community. I owned 7 Hondas before buying my first BMW in '02. Now on my second one, and loving it.

I've never owned a Boxer, but I have adjusted the valves on one. Sounds like you're quite handy, so I'll stick my neck out and tell you that it's too easy for you to not at least check the valves just for peace of mind.

That steering damper sounds like it could use a rebuild. Using the search feature here should yield you the information you want.

Post some pics of your new baby if you are so inclined. I'd like to check it out.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 1:01 pm

I've covered 20k on my 1100R in the last few years - lovely machine, fast and smooth. Most of my riding is shorter trips (100 miles or so) but we ride 2-up to the south of France and Spain too - no problems. Planning a ride to Italy in May. Mine uses about a pint of oil every 3000 miles, but that's no problem as I change the oil and filter every 3000 anyway!. Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in