2005 k1200s - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 1:04 am Thread Starter

2005 k1200s

Hello, I purchased a 2005 k1200s about 6 months ago. it now has about 80,000klm on it. i have recently replaced both tyres, back first, then the front. Front was done by a bmw dealership. 1-2 months later i have experienced severe tank slaps, that i struggled to regain control of. First one was accelerating out of a corner and after inspection, i put it down to a rutted corner. 1 week later i experienced it again but even more serve in a straight line accelerating over a small bump which i have done 100 times before. Because of its age i presume something is wearing out, bushes, shocks etc, but have no ides where to start. Has anyone got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Re: 2005 k1200s

Are both tires the same brand and type? Are the shocks in good condition, 05 is getting old. Have you checked the rear swing arm bearings and their preload setting? Use the stock tire pressure of 36 psi. front and 42 rear.
Not all brands of tires work on every bike. You can put the bike up on the center stand and grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock. Try to wiggle it. It can move in 3 locations, the final drive right in front of you, the final drive pivot point where the drive is attached to the rear swing arm and the rear swing arm up forward where the rear shock is attached. If you do not own a Clymer's book on the bike get on. Checking that the preload on this swing arm pivot is correct is a good start. Read how to open it up and grease the bearings then reset the torque on each side to the specific settings. It is complicated. Requires a 30mm deep socket and torque wrenches.
Lots of things contribute to tank slappers and this bike is not naturally predisposed to them. One is holding on too firmly. I am a firm believer of changing both tires at the same time. Following the one at a time plan leads to trying to get the most miles out of a tire and using it to way past it's prime. You can expect about 4500 miles or less out of tires on this bike.
Others with more specific information will chip in I hope.
There is what is called a "deflection lever" that helps tie the bottom of the rear shock to the rear swing arm. It has two needle bearings and the rest of the system has two more. They need to be opened up and serviced (cleaned and greased) every two years. They can bind and actually break this lever, sometimes referred to as the bow tie. At one point there was a recall to install a stronger one and point out the need for this two year service.
Here is an article with some good info. I like the comment about front wheel bearings. An easy one to check, remove the wheel, stick your finger in the bearing and turn it, should be smooth and turn fairly easy. This is a good time to grease the lip seals before re installing. The tire guy may not have.
https://www.motorcycletouringtips.co...-death-wobble/

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Last edited by beech; Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:05 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2005 k1200s

Thanks, you have helped heaps, now at least i have a starting point. Ill keep you informed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in