WORN CAM LOBE 2018 R 1200 RS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 2 Post By DoctorJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 26th, 2019, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Angry WORN CAM LOBE 2018 R 1200 RS

Worn cam lobe

My name is Jeff and Iím new to this forum. My bike is a 2018 R 1200 RS and has 12,200 miles on it. I love the bike but have just run into some issues. Had a new front tire put on the bike 3 days ago and the person changing the tire pointed out a flat spot on one side of my rim. Iíve never hoped any curves, hit any objects or pot holes. Rim has no dings or scratches and old tire has no marks on it. Dealer where I bought the bike says this is a common problem and will cost around $350 or more to repair. Iím not accepting that and have started a complaint with corporate today.

This dealer did my 600 mile service and I did the 6,000 mile service. I was suspect of the type of people in their service department as there was 2 drain plug gaskets on when I removed the bolt. I also needed a cheater to break loose the bolt and also to remove the filter.

I had noticed pinging from the engine that started within the last 500-1,000 miles. Today as I went to do my 12,000 mile service I removed the left valve cover and was getting ready to check the valve clearance when I noticed considerable wear on the forward intake valve lobe (picture attached).

I put it back together and have an appointment at a different BMW dealer for the next day they are open. Iím expecting both my issues to get resolved or I will no longer be a BMW motorcycle owner 😕. My last BMW was a 1976 R 100 which had no problems the entire time I owned the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89B2CD2B-133A-443B-9F08-DCA1F571CBDD.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	153623  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: WORN CAM LOBE 2018 R 1200 RS

BMW is having a fair amount of trouble with the R series camshafts and their hardening. Your dealer will warranty this, be sure to carefully inspect the other cylinder. Labor and parts is the best part of 3500$ if all cams are replaced. This has been going on since 14, I don't understand why it has not been seriously addressed.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Hey Beech thanks for the response. All the other cam lobes looked ok. I put 40,000 miles on my Ď76 R100 and only had minor electrical problems. I was thinking these machines were bullet proof. If itís not immediately taken care of with warranty Iíll be done with their products forever. Pretty sad that their rims are so delicate now also.

Peace,

DoctorJ

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2019, 11:25 pm

"Pretty sad that their rims are so delicate now also."
BMW cast rims have always been an issue, soft. They can be repaired, don't replace it. Plenty of shops can fix them. I change tires, just two weeks ago I pointed out a minor ding in a front rim of a customer. It holds air but tried to direct him to repair it. If you want an interesting few minutes find some eastern European wheel shop repair videos on YouTube.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Got my bike back today with 4 new cams and 4 new followers. They also said the timing was off and corrected that. Itís running better than it ever has and was so much fun ridding today. Two thumbs up for a job well done at BMW Motorcycles of Escondido. Iím glad to have found a service department more caring than the one where I bought the motorcycle.
👍🏼👍🏼
Patric and PadG like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in