2003 r1200cl - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 10th, 2019, 8:42 am Thread Starter

2003 r1200cl

Hello, Just bought this motorcycle. 70,000 miles, $2,500, it's been on the ground a lot. The bags especially are a mess. Anyway I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

Does this model have a gas gauge or just a low fuel light?

anyone know how to fix the insert fastener nuts that hold the gas tank on? They're in the frame.

How about where I can buy oil and air filters? No BMW dealer here is Sioux Falls, SD Do any parts houses have them?

What do the two small radiators do?

I noticed a mention of a fuel filter. I haven't found it yet. It's not in the tank I hope. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Other than these items I can't wait to ride it. I have previously owned LT's and a GTL which was the best motorcycle ever but had to sell it cause the jockey position wouldn't fit my knees anymore. Loved that motorcycle. Riding Harley's now. Much more comfortable on my knees. I'm a 1950 model.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 10th, 2019, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: 2003 r1200cl

Welcome!!!...Buying this bike qualifies you for the nickname, "CHROMEHEAD!"

Back in the 1990s, there was a movement in the cycling world to re-capture the vintage motorcycle experience/appearance but provide better safety, performance, and reliability. Honda did it with their Shadow ACE (American Classic Edition) models, and other makes made similar attempts. Back then, I bought a 1995 Honda VT1100c2 Shadow ACE and enjoyed it for nearly two decades before upgrading to my 2011 BMW R1200RT.

The BMW R1200C (CL) series was BMW's effort to tap into the cruiser craze. Although, BMW's distinct boxer engine and suspension arrangements make its BMW DNA very difficult to associate with any "classic" image. However, for me, a collector of Studebaker vehicles, (who once had an advertising slogan of "Different by Design")...the very unique R1200C bikes is what caught my attention and ignited my desire to abandon my old Honda classic and begin my search for a BMW.

During my six month search, I looked at quite a number of "C" bikes and expanded to other BMW models before finally settling on an RT. If I find a "C" for the price I'm willing to pay (not too much), I will still buy one. As you are finding out, except for certain models, the "C" bikes are rather "spartan" in their instrumentation. Also, even though the engine is a 1200, it is way down on hp compared to other period BMW boxer and K engine powered bikes. That's not a deal killer, but worth noting. I was also alarmed at how many of the "C" bikes have ABS problems??? You have a 2003, which is a plus. By then, some of the common nagging problems such as flaking chrome, and cracking tail light housings/brackets had been addressed.

I'm 74 years old and buying my RT with its adjustable windshield, cruise control, tachometer, gas gauge, and all the other stuff at near the price some folks were/are asking for these "C" bikes made the decision easy for me. Depending on your riding experience, and desires...I think you will have a wonderful time getting this bike roadworthy, tinkering with it, and riding it. I hope you stick around and share the journey with us. In addition, there is a dedicated forum for the chromehead bikes,
Chromeheads - BMW Cruiser Motorcyclists I am a member there and I think you will find it very helpful in your quest to get your bike where it needs to be.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 11th, 2019, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks Beemer tiger for the reply. The info was fun to read and helpful. I'll head on over the chrome head site to see if someone can answer my questions.

post #4 of 4 Old May 11th, 2019, 7:40 am Thread Starter

Well I bought an oil filter at the parts store. I ordered an air filter from Amazon. So good there. Still wondering about the two small radiators. I'm guessing they're oil coolers?? I did find nut inserts on the internet. Dumb design as they would be hard to keep tight. Oh Ya, I found out it doesn't have a gas gauge just a low fuel light. I can deal with that however, really no gas gauge, hmmm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in