Second Bike.....R1200R - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Second Bike.....R1200R

My first beemer was a 96 RT that I bought slightly used in 98. Had it two years and put 40,000 miles on it. Traded it in for an 01 LT, then an 03 and then two 05's. 170,000 miles on the four of them.

Took my 05 LT over to the Grand Rapids shop for it's 48,000 mile service last week and rode home on a R1200R service loaner. 130 miles round trip. Did I like it? Rode it back to the shop the next day and bought a new one! What a hoot to ride! Quick, light (437 dry), very flickable, smooooth tranny, and the seating position is super comfortable for me. Amazing how effective the little sport shield is in blocking the majority of the wind. Rode it home in low 40 degree temps and with the Gerbing's heated jacket liner. I was warm as toast, which surprised me with much less wind protection than the LT offers. I have hard bags (ala RT) and a luggage rack on order. With the bags, my soft bag from the LT mounted on the luggage rack and my large Helen Two Wheels bag on the passenger seat I will have more storage space than with the LT.

There is something really exciting about getting back to a bare bones bike after nearly 35 years of riding behind fairings, windshields, etc.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel

There is something really exciting about getting back to a bare bones bike after nearly 35 years of riding behind fairings, windshields, etc.

Dick
That's exactly why I now have a R1200GS and a K1200S.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
That's exactly why I now have a R1200GS and a K1200S.
My sentiments entirely, as I waned away from faired bikes to the simpler R1100GS and a R1150R that now grace the stable.

I really like the new R1200R, but I'm reluctant to ride it yet ,as I may end up with with it in my garage.

post #4 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
My sentiments entirely, as I waned away from faired bikes to the simpler R1100GS and a R1150R that now grace the stable.

I really like the new R1200R, but I'm reluctant to ride it yet ,as I may end up with with it in my garage.
Go ahead Patrick, do the demo! What, 20 or so more HP? Smooth as silk tranny, non servo brakes. You should demo one anyways, just to experience the improvements.

Dick
post #5 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:36 pm

Garage
Quote:
Go ahead Patrick, do the demo! What, 20 or so more HP? Smooth as silk tranny, non servo brakes. You should demo one anyways, just to experience the improvements.

Dick
Dick
I hear what you are saying and it is very tempting.
However, I will wait until I have cash in hand, as I don't subscribe to the payment plan system. I believe that test riding any BMW motorcycle is similar to visiting a house of "ill repute" and pretending only to need a kiss on the cheek.
In retrospect, that is why BMW offers test rides.
post #6 of 29 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Thumbs up R1200R is a FINE machine

Quote:
I rode the R1200R before choosing the R1200GS, confusing me because it put a grin on my face that was hard to wipe off. Went with the GS because I want ride on the local fire roads. ... maybe next time.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #7 of 29 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 5:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Dick
I hear what you are saying and it is very tempting.
However, I will wait until I have cash in hand, as I don't subscribe to the payment plan system. I believe that test riding any BMW motorcycle is similar to visiting a house of "ill repute" and pretending only to need a kiss on the cheek.
In retrospect, that is why BMW offers test rides.
I hear ya there Patrick. It's been several years since I've had a car or bike payment. Guess I should have left my checkbook at home! Nah, this bike is going to provide me with a huge fun factor. Can't wait for spring. Dick
post #8 of 29 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

Same For Me- I rode it, I bought it.

I also had to buy the R1200R after riding it.

It rips. I got it Nov 24 and have just shy of 1K miles on it. Had the 600 mile service done and I am ready to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r1200r.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	9565  

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster

Last edited by Dan-A; Jan 24th, 2007 at 9:49 am.
post #9 of 29 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:08 am Thread Starter

Dan: Congrats on your new black beauty! You're lucky, living in CA you can ride it now! I'll try to attach a shot of mine. Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0059.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	9576  
post #10 of 29 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Thumbs up

I finally saw one in person at the local BMW store and I was drooling all over it...

The Teutonic engineering execution is art on wheels .... Just beautiful.

If I were in the market for a standard, this would be it!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #11 of 29 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 7:41 pm

Saw the writeup in the latest issue of MCN..sounded real good..you've confirmed what they said with your comments..Think that'll be my next bike..
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Hey Roy: First off, thanks for your service to our country! I also read the write up in MCN. I was glad to see that we shared some of the same impressions. I want spring to get here! Dick
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Yeah, DR, was thinking about switching to the Kaw Concours but after reading the writeup I'm back in the Beemer camp..And thank you for your service to the community.,.Aloha
post #14 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:27 am

Very Nice!

Quote:
Dan: Congrats on your new black beauty! You're lucky, living in CA you can ride it now! I'll try to attach a shot of mine. Dick
Very nice with the bags, ready for a long haul. It looks like your windshield is tinted. Is it?

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #15 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 6:12 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Hey Dan:

Have you seen this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R1200R.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	9868  

Raffy
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 5:21 am Thread Starter

Dan: Yes, I've got the tinted mini-shield on mine. I ordered a Scout fairing on Monday so I suspect my tinted shield and mounting brackets will be for sale in a month or so.
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2007, 8:54 am

Looks Good But not in Kawasaki Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Hey Dan:

Have you seen this?

Not yet, WOW! Nicely done, but I would pick another color. I think Kawasaki has the lime green thing tied up.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #18 of 29 Old May 28th, 2007, 9:11 pm

My K1200LTC was in the shop and I got a new R1200R loaner. Wow! Excellent geometry, scary power, even in 6th gear. Corners that require thought and prior planning on my LTC were slot-car solid on the R. I love my LTC, but if I had the resources for a second bike, the R would be IT!

They just need to put a warning sticker on it. "Call your physician if you have an e----- that lasts for more than four hours!!!!!!"
post #19 of 29 Old Jun 5th, 2007, 9:32 am

I love my R bike. Found a 1995 R1100R at an unbelievable price and it is really nice. Although older, it is just getting broken in, and I am loving the nakedness, the ease of working on it and cleaning it. Feel the love!

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #20 of 29 Old May 1st, 2008, 6:41 am

Smile Re: Second Bike.....R1200R

Quote:
Dan: Yes, I've got the tinted mini-shield on mine. I ordered a Scout fairing on Monday so I suspect my tinted shield and mounting brackets will be for sale in a month or so.
Had my r12OOr for six months and love it. Fitted with panniers and BMWs own touring screen which may be a mistake as any speed over 110k is a blur.Could help me keep my liscence.
post #21 of 29 Old May 7th, 2008, 9:28 am

Re: Second Bike.....R1200R

I rode my buddies R1200R. WOW! Wheelies on command and so much lighter then my R1150R.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #22 of 29 Old May 22nd, 2008, 8:46 am

Here are updated pics. Ohlins, Nippy Normans's fender hugger, and a BMW tail bag. Also added, Motolites, Hyperlites, garmin 60CSX.

Almost 6000 miles now. Still lovin' it. (and yes, that is a Harley peeking out of the garage).

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #23 of 29 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:35 am

OK you gentleman have mentioned the handling, lighter weight, and flick ability. How about fuel mileage on the highways? Tire mileage? Is the light weight a problem on the highways being blown around? I am torn between the R, GS, RT. The R is some 140 lbs. lighter than the RT. And 70 lbs. lighter than the GS. Appreciate any input. Tom
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:43 am

The last two tanks I got 44 mpg. avg.

RE: Wind. It is a naked bike, there is nothing but a little flyscreen on it, so there is definitely more wind on you, but there are larger screens around.

The tires in the pics posted in this thread have about 5700 miles on them.

It is not unstable to ride in the wind, but a heavier bike will be more planted.

It is not my only bike, and if I was to have only one, this might not be it, or I would bag it, and put a larger screen on it. I might also drop the foot pegs a bit and add some bar backs.

But for a summer day bike, it is great being out in the wind naked.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #25 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 8:56 am

Congratulations on the new R model. I too have stayed off the new one as I just bought a while back an older R 1150 R that was such a bargain that I had to buy it over the R T that I was lusting for. Partially as it was a bargain but mainly it just called to me as a better transition from riding Hondas as it felt like a steet fighter but had touring capability with bags.

Mine came with bags hard and soft and a little tail goody that has proven to be the cats pajama for those sorties in the mountains one up with only need for rain gear and some small items.

That said , I've been eyeing the new ones and trying to figure out how they got all the weight off the ones like mine. I see much more refinement but also disappointed int he guage package. Looks expensive but fragile and like a good rock could take it out easily so I'd difinitly go with the little windscreen for that. Mine has a slightly larger windscreen which keeps most of the rocks off me and the helmet does the rest.

Handling on my old one is excellent but I'd love the smoother engine and drive train everyone is talking about . The Servo brakes on mine took getting used to but brother when your two up and have to stop short the assist would be missed, as I'm spoiled with that now.

The only other caviat that worries me is the low mounted oil cooler. Roads in Georgia are pretty bad and having oil cooler in the line of fire with rocks and dirt from the road bed seems a bad idea. I don't understand either as the RT and the new R 1200 S models all carry the coolers up high in the fork. Oh well it helps with weight and that is the enemy . I know from study the whole R line has been on a diet and that is a good thing as long as reliability doesn't suffer.

Bottom line , I'm still thinking on a new one but in the meantime I'm totally enjoying my older model and the mileage is awesome. I've experience a high of 56 on interstate one way with a tail wind and average about 42 with mountain runs where you really get into the power and carry higher rpm.

To me it is one of the best compromises between a sport bike and a touring bike , the RT notwithstanding, and I'm sure come winter, I'll start lusting for the heavier faired RT.

I've an acquantance I met up on the mountain who owns the RT and was on the mountain with his new additon the R 1200 S. Even lighter with 20 more ponies, lower bars and a really cool yellow paint job. He seemed to really be happy without compromising. Must be nice . he he

Here's my R the first day I brought it home.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #26 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
Congratulations on the new R model. I too have stayed off the new one as I just bought a while back an older R 1150 R that was such a bargain that I had to buy it over the R T that I was lusting for. Partially as it was a bargain but mainly it just called to me as a better transition from riding Hondas as it felt like a steet fighter but had touring capability with bags.

Mine came with bags hard and soft and a little tail goody that has proven to be the cats pajama for those sorties in the mountains one up with only need for rain gear and some small items.

That said , I've been eyeing the new ones and trying to figure out how they got all the weight off the ones like mine. I see much more refinement but also disappointed int he guage package. Looks expensive but fragile and like a good rock could take it out easily so I'd difinitly go with the little windscreen for that. Mine has a slightly larger windscreen which keeps most of the rocks off me and the helmet does the rest.

Handling on my old one is excellent but I'd love the smoother engine and drive train everyone is talking about . The Servo brakes on mine took getting used to but brother when your two up and have to stop short the assist would be missed, as I'm spoiled with that now.

The only other caviat that worries me is the low mounted oil cooler. Roads in Georgia are pretty bad and having oil cooler in the line of fire with rocks and dirt from the road bed seems a bad idea. I don't understand either as the RT and the new R 1200 S models all carry the coolers up high in the fork. Oh well it helps with weight and that is the enemy . I know from study the whole R line has been on a diet and that is a good thing as long as reliability doesn't suffer.
Nice looking 1150R.

RE: the oil cooler, I just bought an 04 1150GS and the oil cooler is up high. I get the heated air from it on hotter days as it blows in behind the fairing up through the fork area.

The 1200R's being down low may be vulnerable and I am thinking a rock guard of some sort is in order, but on the upside, I don't notice any heat from it while riding.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #27 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
Nice looking 1150R.

RE: the oil cooler, I just bought an 04 1150GS and the oil cooler is up high. I get the heated air from it on hotter days as it blows in behind the fairing up through the fork area.

The 1200R's being down low may be vulnerable and I am thinking a rock guard of some sort is in order, but on the upside, I don't notice any heat from it while riding.

That's is a great point you make and admittedly one that did not occur to me. I suspect one could fabricate a small clip on screen to snap right in place with a bit of though and a torch. Then paint the thing and refurbish it once a year or so. As for the silt from the road, Washing should minimize that aspect .

One thing for sure, we don't need more heat coming up from riding in the summer in GA. My current model has a cooler on each side but they are small and do not seem to generate much heat back onto me but of course there have been criticism made of the look of it. Somehow in black the bulges do not seem to be so unisightly.

I truly have gained respect for the R XX R models though and the lighter more powerful 12's can not be anything but good performing wise . I did seem to feel the ridter position fit my body slightly better on the new one as well though the seat doesn't look quite as comfy. The bike can be ordered too with a lowered suspension. Not sure if that is a good idea but being vertically challenged I had to go with a low seat option on mine and that can lead to some leg cramps on long ride. Lower suspension should eliminate that part as the peg to seat would be the same either way.

Same for the RT you can get both lower seat options,adjustable seat , and lower suspension if you are willing to give up the stand and just have a kick stand. That is some of the things I think about while saving up for the new whatever I decide. With mine I have a centerstand and lower seat and other than some occassional cramping after long rides I'm ok with it.

Thanks again for the insight

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:38 am

Hi guys I am about to pull the trigger on an R12R. I got away from bikes for several years. I made the mistake of buying a Vstrom in April to see if I still liked it. While the V Strom is a competent bike it did nothing to stir my soul.

I have had 3 BMW cars and 1 bike and loved them all. I looked at Harley's and decided all the leather, bling and noise is just not me.

Any advice on the R1200R. The bike I've decided on has all the goodies such as heat and ABS. Anything else I should add at purchase. How important is the BMW plug to have on this bike. I live in Indiana and will have to store it during the winter. Also, any clubs around Ft Wayne area for riders?

Thanks
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:49 am

Just buy it! I purchased my 1200r a month ago and absolutely believe it's one of the biggest sleepers in their inventory. I sold my 06 1200 rt and this new bike is lighter, quicker and much more balanced than the RT. I'm adding the Technik Vstream 2406 windshield and the engine guards on Saturday. Instead of the hard panniers which I don't think are in sync with the lines of this bike, I bought the Cortech Tourmaster tri-bag system which is a roll bag for the tail and is connected to a throw over saddlebag system. I can use just the tail bag or just the saddlebag or both for the type of trip I'm planning. I didn't purchase the sports saddlebags because I think they don't carry enough. The saddlebags I purchased are part of the tri-bag system and are about 20 liter volume per bag. I have the low seat which is unusually comfortable for a german seat and don't plan on exchanging it for an aftermarket seat at this time.
You're going to love this bike and it's much better looking in person.
Good luck,
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in