Just bought a 1996 R850R and have a couple of questions. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 15th, 2017, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Just bought a 1996 R850R and have a couple of questions.

Hello to all in the forum:

I just bought a 1996 R850R and was wondering what the blue plastic piece under the seat is. I do not have a riders manual so I can't look it up.
The previous owner said it needs a new drive shaft as he had the bike heavily loaded for a trip but did not adjust for the weight and that damaged the shaft?
I looked at the shaft, as I bought the bike all apart, and don't see any damage on it or the spline shafts on the transmission.
Also, it came with no key. Can anyone tell me how to find the key code? I want to order a new key from Ebay.

I attached a pic of the blue piece.

cheers to all
Ron in Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_150834.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	125329  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:59 am

Re: Just bought a 1996 R850R and have a couple of questions.

You can get an owners manual from a BMW dealer.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Is the blue piece an electrical connector? That is the format for hooking up to the bike computer on your vintage bike. The weight capacity of the bike is quite high. I would find it hard to believe it was overloaded and never heard of a drive shaft being damaged in this way. Take a hard look at other things that might be related. Or ask why the owner has those thoughts. Keep adding to your thread with your "get it running" story.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 21st, 2017, 10:36 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilpickle View Post
Hello to all in the forum:

I just bought a 1996 R850R and was wondering what the blue plastic piece under the seat is. I do not have a riders manual so I can't look it up.
The previous owner said it needs a new drive shaft as he had the bike heavily loaded for a trip but did not adjust for the weight and that damaged the shaft?
I looked at the shaft, as I bought the bike all apart, and don't see any damage on it or the spline shafts on the transmission.
Also, it came with no key. Can anyone tell me how to find the key code? I want to order a new key from Ebay.

I attached a pic of the blue piece.

cheers to all
Ron in Canada
Welcome to the forum Ron. I've always been a fan of the naked bikes. I knew a guy who rode an R850R to work everyday...what a sweet little bike. I'm not sure what year his bike was, but as I recall it was green in color. Anyway..glad you decided to join the forum. You'll find lots of information and resources here to help you get your bike up and running. As far as your final drive goes, yours would be the first I've heard where the FD failed die to overloading. That said, BMW had a rash of drive failures in the the past and both our year bikes were effected. The cause seems to be over shimming the FD upon assembly, at least that seems to be the consensus anyway. That said, it seems highly improbably your bike's FD failure had anything to do with carrying too much weight on the bike.

Hope you get your machine up and running soon. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. If you need help with anything, just ask. Folks here are really very knowledgable and generous with their time. You're definitely in the right place as a new Oilhead owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in