GPS Maps update - R1200RT 2009 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By PatM55
  • 1 Post By PatM55
  • 1 Post By Sleuth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

GPS Maps update - R1200RT 2009

I have bought a 2009 (december) R1200RT that comes with an original GPS. The maps on the devoce are old - any one know how i can get or buy updated maps for the GPS? :-) From what i can see the GPS is made by Garmin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 5:30 am

Garage
Re: GPS Maps update - R1200RT 2009

I have a BMW Navigator IV from 2012, which last year decided the maps were now too old to be of real use. (I travel around Rotterdam frequently, and the roads have under gone major change!)

I bought from the local dealer the Garmin live updates card, followed the instructions and now I have a GPS with Live updates.

The only drawback if you have a Navigator IV is the maps are only updated at best twice a year. I am not sure how long this will continue, but it is probable that the updating frequency will diminish over time.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #3 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Thank you for answer, i will check with Garmin online here too, maybe i can buy the card from them. It is a standard SD memory card, yes?

post #4 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:03 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
I have a BMW Navigator IV from 2012, which last year decided the maps were now too old to be of real use. (I travel around Rotterdam frequently, and the roads have under gone major change!)

I bought from the local dealer the Garmin live updates card, followed the instructions and now I have a GPS with Live updates.

The only drawback if you have a Navigator IV is the maps are only updated at best twice a year. I am not sure how long this will continue, but it is probable that the updating frequency will diminish over time.

Best regards
Sleuth
The frequency should not change. Garmin always updates their maps twice a year. They've been doing it like this for as far as I can remember.
I have a lifetime map upgrade on 2 GPSs and this is how it's always been.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #5 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
The frequency should not change. Garmin always updates their maps twice a year. They've been doing it like this for as far as I can remember.
The Garmin lifetime updates is up to four (4) times a year. Each update has a .x added to the year.
The current is 2018.1
post #6 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Of course, you guys are assuming that the OP is located in US/Canada! I have a feeling that he is in Europe, which would make everything you said quite irrelevant!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Garmin nuMaps lifetime update for Europe works the same way as nuMaps lifetime for North America.
You must already have a base map installed. In his case Europe.
Or he can buy for a little less, a one time update. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/6299

Last edited by PatM55; Feb 18th, 2017 at 5:17 pm.
post #8 of 23 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Garage
Garmin updates their maps about 4 times a year. Plug your GPS into the computer and open Garmin Express, it should tell you of map & other software updates ready to download. You will need an SD card since the maps are now almost bigger than available storage in the unit. 2018.10 is the newest map.
post #9 of 23 Old Feb 20th, 2017, 7:33 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Of course, you guys are assuming that the OP is located in US/Canada! I have a feeling that he is in Europe, which would make everything you said quite irrelevant!
Last time I checked Antwerp (Belgium) is in Europe. So my answer is European based! Not quite sure what the US/Europe differences in the responses are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Garmin updates their maps about 4 times a year. Plug your GPS into the computer and open Garmin Express, it should tell you of map & other software updates ready to download. You will need an SD card since the maps are now almost bigger than available storage in the unit. 2018.10 is the newest map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
The Garmin lifetime updates is up to four (4) times a year. Each update has a .x added to the year.
The current is 2018.1
Garmin now have two sorts of maps. The latest map versions are updated up to 4 times a year, and the older sort (the GPS I have - BMW Navigator IV or Garmin 660 with a different badge - uses the older sort) appears to be updated twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingemartin View Post
Thank you for answer, i will check with Garmin online here too, maybe i can buy the card from them. It is a standard SD memory card, yes?
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. This is just a card with a code on it. The code is a digital unlock so you can download the lifetime updates. It is possible to buy a SD card - this is a ONE-OFF update, and costs almost as much as the lifetime updates.

I do not know what GPS you have, however as has already been stated the new maps no longer fit on the older devices. A Garmin 660 or BMW Navigator IV is an old device! so an SD card or restricted upload will be necessary.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #10 of 23 Old Feb 20th, 2017, 12:56 pm

I wonder why would the 660 based Nav IV only update twice a year while my old zumo 550, which is older than the 660, could be updated four times a year? Isn't the Nav IV updated with Garmin Express?
As far as I know, the base software may be different but the maps are the same.

Last edited by PatM55; Feb 20th, 2017 at 1:12 pm.
post #11 of 23 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 7:40 am

Garage

The 550, and the 660 use the same set of maps, so when you receive an update (if it is for Europe) then I will also have access to it.

When my Nav IV was new the maps were indeed updated 4 times a year. However it is my understanding with the new set of maps NTU, the older maps are no longer updated as frequently. The title of the maps set is either NT (old map set) or NTU (new).

A new map set (NTU) has been released, yet the older version has not yet been updated.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #12 of 23 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 8:48 am

I had to look up what NT and NTU mean. The U being unicode needed for non latin characters in names.
Quote:
The maps in the NT and NTU versions are exactly the same. The difference is that the NTU version uses Unicode to encode names because many European languages require that so users can see/search names in their native language.

Newer devices can handle Unicode but older models cannot. The NTU maps should work in those units but names/searching may not.
When new maps come out, I always do the update. You could say I'm anal about it. LOL I have two Garmins and always update both at the same time. When I sold my 550, I had updated it to 2016.40. This is why I'm puzzled as to why the Nav IV would update only twice a year.
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The 550, and the 660 use the same set of maps, so when you receive an update (if it is for Europe) then I will also have access to it.

When my Nav IV was new the maps were indeed updated 4 times a year. However it is my understanding with the new set of maps NTU, the older maps are no longer updated as frequently. The title of the maps set is either NT (old map set) or NTU (new).

A new map set (NTU) has been released, yet the older version has not yet been updated.
Speaking of Nav V only, but this probably apply to Nav IV as well - old maps are not kept on the system! When you update the map, the old one gets over-written, That is why I still don't need, nor have, an expansion micro-SD card in my Nav V.

BTW, regarding your earlier comment, I know where you are located. My comment was directed at the other two guys who are in Canada and the US! That also brings up this most recent discussion about how many updates/year. You need to compare apple-to-apple, which means that you can't compare the number of updates/year of European map to North America map! Heck, the Aussie and NZer have their map updated once a year, if that, based on what I had read!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 1:19 pm

Because someone is based in Canada/US it doesn't mean they don't travel and don't use a European gps.
Dann323 likes this.
post #15 of 23 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 3:30 am

Garage

Quote:
...BTW, regarding your earlier comment, I know where you are located. My comment was directed at the other two guys who are in Canada and the US! ...
If I had given offense then please forgive me! It certainly was not my intention.

Regarding the NAV V not requiring a SD Card - this is because the storage is somewhat larger than the NAV IV.

In terms of current maps. The latest map set for the older units is: 2017.20 As at last weekend A new update was not available. However a new one could have been released. Since I now have lifetime updates I am also diligent in keeping the maps up-to-date (I prefer that to anal!)

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #16 of 23 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If I had given offense then please forgive me! It certainly was not my intention.

Regarding the NAV V not requiring a SD Card - this is because the storage is somewhat larger than the NAV IV.

In terms of current maps. The latest map set for the older units is: 2017.20 As at last weekend A new update was not available. However a new one could have been released. Since I now have lifetime updates I am also diligent in keeping the maps up-to-date (I prefer that to anal!)
No, you did not give offense at all!

I don't know the size of the storage on the Nav IV, and that was why I was specific about the reference to Nav V. However, there is very little spare room in Nav V storage, and I had to clear away a lot of aux. files that were stashed in there. Again, I am assuming that Nav IV is similar, and if so, you should hook it up to your computer and see what files can be deleted to free up some rooms! For example, I deleted all the manuals, and files for languages that I know I will never use. If you are not sure if a file can be deleted, leave it alone. To be completely safe, I copied everything onto my hard drive for backup before starting the deletions.

Nonetheless, map update still overwrite the old map, and so you shouldn't have any storage issue with your updates. I am also quite diligent with my map updates. One other hint, if you are not doing it already, and that is when you update the map on the Nav. take a couple extra seconds to change the update option so that the update will be done on your computer as well. Now, for whatever reasons, the old maps ar retained on your computer and not overwritten! Very handy!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #17 of 23 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The current is 2018.1
Quote:
Because someone is based in Canada/US it doesn't mean they don't travel and don't use a European gps.
What does that have to do with anything, eh???

Look at what you said in the above quote and tell me that the European map is at 2018.1!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #18 of 23 Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Look at what you said in the above quote and tell me that the European map is at 2018.1!
You seem to have missed the context of my reply to Dann323 who is a Canuckian just like me. He had said his updates were twice a year, as far as he remembered and it had always been so, I said mine was four and is now at 2018.10.
Nothing to do with Europe in that answer. AFAIK, the latest version of nuMaps Lifetime Europe should still be 2017.30.

I checked what Garmin says about updates to nuMaps. The old nuMaps Lifetime Europe was good for up to 4 updates, the same as North America.
The current Garmin offer is up to 3 updates a year. This, from the Garmin UK site: nuMaps Lifetime
post #19 of 23 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 3:02 am

Garage

Glad to hear it!

As the Nav V is a new(er) model Garmin increased the size of the storage. Not sure of the size of the 660/Nav IV but these days the European map does not fit on the internal memory. Even when I have knocked out all the non-essential files. This had been given on the Zumo forums previously. (I am also a member there.) From what you said, it seems as if in an update or two the Nav V will also have storage issues.

You do not know it (or at least I hope not! ) I also make use of the maps on the computer. It is where I do all my route planning, storage of waypoints (and the administration), track storage etc. Unfortunately due to having to reinstall the computer the original map set, and the Open Maps I had created were lost!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Glad to hear it!

As the Nav V is a new(er) model Garmin increased the size of the storage. Not sure of the size of the 660/Nav IV but these days the European map does not fit on the internal memory. Even when I have knocked out all the non-essential files. This had been given on the Zumo forums previously. (I am also a member there.) From what you said, it seems as if in an update or two the Nav V will also have storage issues.

You do not know it (or at least I hope not! ) I also make use of the maps on the computer. It is where I do all my route planning, storage of waypoints (and the administration), track storage etc. Unfortunately due to having to reinstall the computer the original map set, and the Open Maps I had created were lost!
Perhaps we have a little misunderstanding here, but what I was trying to say was that the Nav V should not need any external storage space for the map updates. So far, I have gone through 14 updates, and I still have room left over in the Nav V's internal storage. I have had the European map (the full Europe) on my Nav V as well, when I went over to ride in Scotland in 2015, but of course I had to put that on a micro-SD card along with the routes that I had planned for the ride. I will be doing similar thing this coming November/December when I go down under to ride in New Zealand, but that will be with the Australia-New Zealand map, of course.

Too bad about the lost maps, but things like that do happen, and that is why I always preach back-up to my friends and family!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 9:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You seem to have missed the context of my reply to Dann323 who is a Canuckian just like me. He had said his updates were twice a year, as far as he remembered and it had always been so, I said mine was four and is now at 2018.10.
Nothing to do with Europe in that answer. AFAIK, the latest version of nuMaps Lifetime Europe should still be 2017.30.

I checked what Garmin says about updates to nuMaps. The old nuMaps Lifetime Europe was good for up to 4 updates, the same as North America.
The current Garmin offer is up to 3 updates a year. This, from the Garmin UK site: nuMaps Lifetime
Why, silly me, I thought that you guys were trying to help the OP who had started this thread and asking for advice!!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #22 of 23 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Why, silly me, I thought that you guys were trying to help the OP who had started this thread and asking for advice!!!
Well, you know, GPS threads are the new oil threads...
We kind of wander around.
PadG likes this.
post #23 of 23 Old Feb 24th, 2017, 6:38 am

Garage

Quote:
I thought we had answered the OP. There has been quite a discussion about switching from a single map to lifetime maps. How to do it, buy what is needed etc.
We have now moved on and are having a chat. I am having a nice friendly chat with PadG! Do please try to keep up! :grin :P (Just kidding on the last part!)

Quote:
Well, you know, GPS threads are the new oil threads...
We kind of wander around.
+1

Quote:
...Too bad about the lost maps, but things like that do happen, and that is why I always preach back-up to my friends and family!
Believe it or not, I had backed up the maps. I even used the GMTK to back them up! Obviously I suffered an ID10T error! While it was annoying it was not a major problem as I had Lifetime updates. It would have been a major problem without it.
PatM55 likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in