got mine...an ST that is - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up got mine...an ST that is

Well..Not really, its my wife's... not mine.

Its a 2005 silver/red. had 2900 miles on it with lots of goodies. My wife just got her license over the summer. This is alot of bike for her but she saw one and had to have it...she just loved evrything about it. I must admit..when I first saw one...and she said how she really liked it...I just nodded my head and said, "yes honey...that is really nice, whatever you want" yet I really was unsure about the look.

Okay...that was 4 months ago....fast forward to this weekend. We picked the bike up Saturday. Sunday, I take her to a big parking lot at the school for her and HER bike (she keeps reminding me its HERS when I start looking at it with lust in my eyes) to get acquainted. All I can say now is MAN...this bike is HOT!!!! Honestly...all kidding aside!! I love the looks, how it rides, how it handles...it is soo neat!!! Did I say I LOVE the LOOKS!!! oh yeah...suppose it was implied by...IT IS HOT! And man she looks great on it...They compliment each other.

She did really good on it..its alot of bike for her, but she did good. She even rode it home from the school about 4 miles with some twisties and a sharp descending curve. I wasnt sure she'd be ready for that but she handled it like she owned it. I was happy for her. And she's so giddy over this bike..it makes me happy!

Its amazes me though, we brought it home on a trailer, about 180 mile trip. And it got tons of looks, no kidding. People are definently interested in this bike. We even got a thumbs up from somebody. My friend, who was accompanying us and we were using his truck to tow it back.. said "ahh..look at that guy...he must like my truck"

Soo heres's my dilemma....I really liked this bike. I was kinda aiming for a new GT...its HOT looking too...almost bought one about 2 months ago...but got cold feet. Now... I'm thinking RT cause I REALLY liked her ST...and we would be similarly matched...which I think is important. So this tells me I might be an RT guy.....AH! Gotta adjust my psyche to accept that..may take some time.

Whadda U think? Would a GT and ST be compatible? Or would I, being on GT, have a tendency to out ride my wife or maybe push her to outride her skill level...am I making sense? We really just want to cruise/tour the back roads,parkways, mountains of WV, etc. Please weigh in....I'm interested in your opinions.

Okay...should've introduced myself...sorry. Been riding...yeah....you know...Harley Davidsons...for about 10 years now. Went on a typical Sunday day trip last year in the mountains with my wife on the back of my Road King...and thought..this is boring as hell!!! Put it in the paper...sold it...never looked back. Gave all of my HD stuff I had to the guy...figured..no more riding for me if this is what its all about. Just got plain bored with it. Would rather have had the room in the garage for something more fun ...like my lawn mower.

Then my wife gets interested in motorcycles when I get interested in BMW's; a co-worker bought an LT and just raved about it. His enthusiasm gets my attention. So I lurk on the forums, read the magazines, borrow all of his BMW ON mags, and I'm hooked. My wife catches the bug and Voila....you know the rest of the story. We are reborn....our marriage....my love for the sport....everything is soo good right now....our Jobs....our health....I give thanks to God and dont take it for granted... could be gone tomorrow. Anyway...what a great new adventure we are on and this is going to be an exciting journey!

SOOO ...Just wanted to say "Hey Y'all"....from West Virginia!!!

Know when you are getting close to WV? When you can HEAR THE BANJO!
Yeah...I play a banjo, thats my other passion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:32 am

Welcome. If it were me, and its not, I'd get bikes that were different instead of alike, just to enjoy the spectrum. Most of us can't use the performance built into bikes over the past 20 years and the GT is just the latest example of that. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the GT and ride it even more reasonably when you are riding with your wife. My guess is the ST could keep up with the GT in all legal riding situations and then some, and the difference isn't about the bikes as it is about the riders. Get the bike that sings to you, and if that is the GT then you'll only regret buying the RT, regardless of the "common sense". Congrats to you and your wife on the ST purchase and may you have many long years of happy riding together.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:57 am

Welcome,we had some great riding in WV couple weeks ago coming and going to Maine from our home in west Ky.On the way home we dropped down220 from Cumberland,Md to hwy 50,then west all the way to 79,wow 50 is an awesome rd.

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:27 pm

Welcome!

Welcome to the site.

I enjoyed reading your background and your intro story. Sounds like you and your wife will be having lots of fun on bikes again.

Consider filling out your profile; this tells us a little about who you are, your location, etc. I'm located next door to you in SE Ohio.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:45 pm

Congrats to the Mrs

Sundance welcome to the world of BMW Motorcycles. I bought a new ST in April and have been having a great time with it.

Feel free to PM if you need advice on mods, farkles, etc.

Tony
MSF RiderCoach

'05 R1200ST
Dark Graphite Metallic/Sydney Blue Metallic
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Hey...Thanks everybody.

I'm kinda in agreement with you tarheel_rider Thats what I was figuring..heck...I got one boxer..why not make the other a K-bike.

Speaking of mods Tony or anyone else for that matter that might know soemthing about this. My wife is on the balls of her feet when she stops. She seems okay with it...but it concerns me if the road isnt quite level or she stops where there is a little dip where she plants her feet.

What is involved in lowering the suspension so she can flat foot it? Is this expensive? I'm guessing if we could get it lowered by about 2" that would be about perfect. She is using the higher seat,in the lower position; she didnt like the low seat. Can't say that I blame her...was kinda like a board. She liked how the seat was narrower at the nose where the low seat was just flat and not as comfortable.

So would my options be a custom seat, that could get her closer to the ground, yet still be comfortable, or should I do the suspension.....well...not me...but a dealer?

Yeah..I gotta fill out my profile more..will do that now. I live in Hedgesville,WV kinda near the border of Maryland, not too far off of I-81. Not too far from route 50 either CaptRich ..been down that road plenty of times...never with a BMW though...cant wait! Should be a whole different experience.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance
So would my options be a custom seat, that could get her closer to the ground, yet still be comfortable, or should I do the suspension.....well...not me...but a dealer?
I don't know if I'd touch the suspension. As she gets better, she might want to have all the bike can offer. You might not think so now, but it really could happen. I'm thinking of a wife of one of my friend's, Randy Prade. Michelle can really ride her S.

Also, if you get an RT, she'll leave you one day.....

... in the twisties.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Also, if you get an RT, she'll leave you one day.....

... in the twisties.

Thats funny cause ya know...thats JUST how she is and that worries me. We are pretty competitive at times and I need all the edge I can get.

Yeah..I like your advice about leaving things be for now. She catches on pretty quick. I asked her about the height and she seems okay with it and she handles it well; it was me who was worried. Of course she was just wearing some flimsy womens canvas tenny shoes...pretty flat. She was also wearing an HD half helmet, HD jacket...her left over Harley gear...she looked histerical. Next week we'll be getting her looking more like she rides a BMW, proper helmet, boots, jacket, etc... She's a mess right now!
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 4:57 pm
Bouncer

I'm going to get my first ride on a R1200ST at the Norcal Ft Bragg trip. BMW of San Jose has one in their rental fleet, and I thought I'd try something a little different.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:18 pm

Try a custom seat first

Sundance, I agree with grifscoots; I wouldn't mess with the suspension either. Also, 2" is a LOT to fiddle with. It is expensive (if you do it properly) and will upset the bike's handling/ground clearance, etc. Don't forget you'd also have to chop the sidestand.

If she really does need to make a change, have someone make up a new seat. There is a thread on bmwsporttouring.com on getting a custom seat for an ST.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...st73458 <br />

Good luck !

Tony
MSF RiderCoach

'05 R1200ST
Dark Graphite Metallic/Sydney Blue Metallic
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance
Well..Not really, its my wife's... not mine.
kinda aiming for a new GT...its HOT looking too...almost bought one about 2 months ago...but got cold feet. Now... I'm thinking RT cause I REALLY liked her ST...and we would be similarly matched...which I think is important. So this tells me I might be an RT guy.....AH! Gotta adjust my psyche to accept that..may take some time.

Whadda U think? Would a GT and ST be compatible? Or would I, being on GT, have a tendency to out ride my wife or maybe push her to outride her skill level...am I making sense? We really just want to cruise/tour the back roads,parkways, mountains of WV, etc. Please weigh in....I'm interested in your opinions.
Know when you are getting close to WV? When you can HEAR THE BANJO!
Yeah...I play a banjo, thats my other passion.

heck I'm in N Ga and can hear banjo's! , I just rode through part of W Va this weekend,

you will love the rt as well the wife had one for 4 years with 73k mile son it it was lowered 2" it did not effect anything having it lowered , ya just have to get good shocks built from wilbers like we jsut had done to the wifes new R1200GS last week

welcome to the fray here!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:54 pm

Also if you really are considering lowering a bike remember you do not have to go 2" cutr the seatr some and have 1 or 1.5 inch lowered shocks built

Tom any questions about lowering PM me, like I said we live in N Ga up in the mountains the wife never had a ground clearence problem with her RT lowered 2" and the new R1200Gs doesnt care either, we ride pretty hard too, plus the wife has done a few IB rides on it as well

make the bike as easy as can be to manipulate it for her

she will be MUCH happier

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Love the ST

I had a chance to test ride the ST at the 2005 WCR. I loved it, but would have had to make some adjustments in the other direction to fit my 6'5" frame.

According to a local dealer, you may have what will become a somewhat rare bike. According to the local sales manager, BMW will not be offering the ST in the US for model year 2007. I have no way of verifying this, so he may not have it correct. But according to him, the ST did not sell well in the US. He thought, however, that it may be brought back in 2008 or 2009 (possibly with some changes). I sure don't understand this at all and it makes me wish I had gotten one. Maybe others have heard similar or perhaps contradictory news.

Anyway, I have sure heard (and seen on this site) wonderful things about the new GS and GT. Everyone that I have talked to that got one of these bikes has been happy. Good luck and ride safe.

Dan

Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR

post #14 of 15 Old Jun 1st, 2018, 9:45 pm

Garage
Re: got mine...an ST that is

Greetings Sundance.

I was planning on purchasing an RT when I went to my dealer to talk about their current stock. I was on an ‘04 Rockster before, and figured I ought to stick with a twin.

My dealer suggested I take the GT for a spin, and that was literally all it took. I knew once I rode it, that I was destined to be on a GT.

A twin and a six in the same garage makes sense, especially since it isn’t as if you will be competing with your wife on the track. Get the bike that you are more connected to, and you will not regret it, either way. 👊🏽
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Simple and safe way not to outride or push her beyond her limits- let her lead and communicate with bluetooth headsets. Sometimes her driving makes me batty (pulls out to pass then matches speed of car while in left lane) but hey, we’re riding together- priceless! And no, our bikes are not a matched set- very different but it doesn’t matter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in