Liqui Moly products? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PMitchell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Liqui Moly products?

A recent advertising supplement to the BMW ON featured the full Liqui Moly line up. A little time spent Googling gave mostly positive reviews of their products and one in particular caught my attention.

The Motorbike Engine Flush

I have a 1987 R80 RT that runs well and doesn't leak a drop of anything and I do have complete service records for the last 4 years that show no major pending issues. The bike shows 71,400 miles which I believe to be accurate but really don't know how well it was maintained for the first 25 years.

It is time for an oil change, about 3,000 easy miles since the last and the season here in Tucson is changing rapidly from really hot to some seriously cooler weather as fall turns to winter so I will be changing from the 20w 50 to a somewhat thinner blend - recommendations on this would be good but my owners manual is calling for a 20w 40 which is hard to find.

Does anyone have words of wisdom/experience with the Liqui Moly line, specifically the engine flush? My oil change plan is to thoroughly warm up the bike and then per their instructions add a few ounces of engine flush allowing it to circulate for 10 minutes at idle and then proceed with a normal oil change (obviously to include a new filter, gaskets and washer).

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 8:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Liqui Moly products?

The engine flush appears to be a re-labeled solvent. See MSDS
http://www.chemical-check.de/clientv...09-2012_EN.pdf

I wouldn't waste my $$.

Warm up the engine, drain, change the oil filter and refill with a lubricant that has a viscosity within the temperature range of your winter climate.
beech likes this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 4 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Liqui Moly products?

Thanks for your input (and the link). I decided to just do a normal oil change and had no problems. Maybe between now and the next oil change something or someone will convince me to give the Liqui Moly a try as I'll have a bottle sitting on the shelf on my workbench.

For now I'm staying with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. Thanks again.

Steve

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 2:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Liqui Moly products?

I've been listening to "Car Talk" on NPR over the years and the discussions around additives are really humorous. That maybe their shtick but all branded oils have already been modified for specific use.

oil additives - Car Talk

Unfortunately, Tom has passed and the show now consists of past episodes.

Tom Magliozzi, June 28, 1937 - November 3, 2014 | Car Talk

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in