Buy or walk away/ 79 R100 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Buy or walk away/ 79 R100

Happened upon a 79 BMW R100 standard model with no fairing or bags, fair condition in need of TLC. Don't have too much knowledge on older BMW's however have some background tinkering with older British and Japanese. Long story short, older couple, gentlemen had developed health problems and could no longer ride. Bike hadn't been run in a year or so. I offered to see if we could get started, drained gas. Owner had bought a new battery, starter turned over slowly even after new battery installed, followed up by some electrical smoke wisping from the area. Figured starter was toast. This bike is the European model, 80,000 kilometers. It has the mostly useless kickstart mechanism which I was told had been abandoned on US models. Anyway I got the bike to start with the kickstarter. The owner is asking $1000.00 so I figure could probably get for $800. I know it's hard to relay condition by typing, bike is complete but has general wear. Any opinions appreciated on whether I should acquire or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:01 pm

Buy.very easy to work on,wonderfully dependable bikes.Plenty of parts available,although if buying from a dealer,pricey.Have had four airheads 1967-1981 and enjoyed them all.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:56 pm

Buy it, join the Airheads. http://www.airheads.org/

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanforn
Owner had bought a new battery, starter turned over slowly even after new battery installed, followed up by some electrical smoke wisping from the area. Figured starter was toast. This bike is the European model, 80,000 kilometers. It has the mostly useless kickstart mechanism which I was told had been abandoned on US models. Anyway I got the bike to start with the kickstarter. The owner is asking $1000.00 so I figure could probably get for $800. I know it's hard to relay condition by typing, bike is complete but has general wear. Any opinions appreciated on whether I should acquire or not.
Generally agree; one thing to note, the U.S. '79 models had a one-year-only ignition "can" in which the points are mounted. Hard to find a replacement, but rarely a problem, so not a reason to worry if the bike runs.

Plan on rebuilding the carbs with new gaskets/diaphrams, and perhaps the need to use solvents to clean some of the very small passages which old gas deposits clog. Also, the choke gaskets usually dry out and permit significant vacuum leaks.

Unless the starter was turning over *very* slowly, it may be ok. Back then BMW used a very heavy, slow-turning Bosch starter motor. The starter cover comes off easily once the fuel tank is off if you want to chase down the "smoke." BTW, it may not be electrical -- the area also contains the crankcase vent and the air intake.

Do *NOT* use the kickstarter unless absolutely necessary. The kickstarter on the 5-speed transmissions is notoriously fragile -- parts of the mechanism inside the tranny break easily.

HTH!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, looks like another bike in the garage,(oh darn)!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in