R1200C seat swap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 10:57 am Thread Starter

R1200C seat swap

I have been a die hard BMW fan since I first started riding 20 years ago. They just fit me right. In fact they are the only motorcycle that comes close to doing so. I'm a long, skinny giant. I'm 6,5" and all legs (36" inseam).

I have a chance to buy an r1200c. Obviously that seat is not going to work out for me. Does anyone happen to know how difficult it is modify an old seat pan to fit on a C? Or somehow raise the seat height to standard BMW height?

I can find info all day long about making BMWs a manageable height for the average sized person. Being outside the 95 percentile I understand why things are rarely in my ergonomic favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 19th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Re: R1200C seat swap

Only responding to say "I hear ya", as I've been searching for the same answer. You may have better luck at the Chromeheads forum, all about C bikes:

Topics - Chromeheads Forum

From what I gather: can't raise the C seat. Gel inserts, or add-on, maybe. Most guys like us, it seems, turn to after-market seats (Russell Day-Long etc...). I haven't yet.

Do a search there, or join and pop the question.

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Re: R1200C seat swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koakoa View Post
I have been a die hard BMW fan since I first started riding 20 years ago. They just fit me right. In fact they are the only motorcycle that comes close to doing so. I'm a long, skinny giant. I'm 6,5" and all legs (36" inseam).

I have a chance to buy an r1200c. Obviously that seat is not going to work out for me. Does anyone happen to know how difficult it is modify an old seat pan to fit on a C? Or somehow raise the seat height to standard BMW height?

I can find info all day long about making BMWs a manageable height for the average sized person. Being outside the 95 percentile I understand why things are rarely in my ergonomic favor.
I realize this was posted several months ago, but did you ever find a solution for making a taller seat for a C? If not, I have built several seats in lower versions using Arma-flex insulation. It works quite well for making a firm seat and I suspect could be just what you need to build up a seat two or three inches. It can be purchased at HVAC shops in 3' x 4' sheets in 1/4 1/2 1 and 2 inch thicknesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in