R1200C = Great Intro to BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cruisin
  • 1 Post By cruisin
  • 1 Post By Whiskey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2015, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

R1200C = Great Intro to BMW

Around 1999 BMW had two bikes that were somewhat of a departure from the normal offering. The K1200LT and the R1200C. I had wanted to start with the K1200LT as my first bike but quickly learned that I would need to get something more manageable.

So I opted for the Honda Magna, which went to bike heaven six months later. After I could walk again and get around pretty good I went looking for a replacement. Something with ABS, and low and behold the R1200C caught my eye.

I came across this old pic which reminds me how much I miss that bike.

The bike came with a larger pillion seat but then I would loose the flip up back rest. My wife wanted me to install the larger seat and she said she would ride with me more often. I said, ride with me more often and I'll install the seat. The K1200LT solved that dispute with not problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 16th, 2015, 11:31 pm

Garage
Re: R1200C = Great Intro to BMW

Certainly would have been a classic if you kept it
I saw one other similar bike at my dealer reopening ceremony a couple years now the color was off white/golden yellow. Now sure of the year and the owner was not around for Q. My buddy introduced me to Bmw with his K100lt in champagne and now look where I'm at '09 K1200LT.
ride safe
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 17th, 2015, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

You know Bill the other great thing about the C is that you can stretch your legs out over the engine heads. Makes for a real nice riding position.

So, I'm just curious is the K1600 in your future?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 17th, 2015, 11:56 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
You know Bill the other great thing about the C is that you can stretch your legs out over the engine heads. Makes for a real nice riding position.

So, I'm just curious is the K1600 in your future?
The one thing I was hoping yo would not mention
That's what I lost when I left my Goldwing for the LT well that and my wife riding less since she preferred the wing.

Let's be honest here I like the look of the GTL . . . . .
I am still in my infancy with the LT . . . 6 yr old. Plus when I demo the 1600 I was still falling in love with the LT. Then I did not like the windshield protection, the mirrors and the wind wings (deflectors) almost forgot the small grips. Speaking of wind on my trip out west the LT was like a ship on the ocean I mean it handled those cross winds flawlessly especially on the PCH and leaving Yellowstone East thru Cody to Buffalo. I never thought I would say I welcomed the weight. My goldwing was almost 100 pounds lighter and even in lesser conditions did not peform as well. Besides soaking wet I'm a mere 180

I was thinking if I manage all the lower 48 with the LT I may opt for something worthy of taking on the big AK for #49 and beyond . . . .
ride safe
post #5 of 12 Old May 29th, 2016, 7:08 pm

The R12C was my "return to cycling" bike after a 20 hiatus due to financial limitations. I bought a '99 black one like that in April of 2000, then logged up just shy of 72K miles. By August of 2004 that one met an untimely demise near Taos, NM. My brother in law had borrowed it and got rear ended by one of those V-twin noisy guys who was afraid of his front brake. By October that year, I had replaced the '99 with a 2000 pacific blue one. I spent a few months planning and executing a custom project on it. 22 modifications later; I had this one done and still loving it at close to 112K miles. My personal opinion is the R12C may well be one of the best bikes ever built by BMW. I have a couple of others that are faster and better handling, but the C is still my favorite ride.

well darn. tried to load a couple of pictures but site seems to have blocked them. OH WELL

Last edited by cruisin; May 29th, 2016 at 7:19 pm. Reason: confused
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Thought it might be worth another try to upload a pic of my C described above.

Looks like it's going to work this time. This is it in what I call the solo-touring configuration sporting and RT topcase up close to the driver's seat/backrest. I built the rack myself to make that set up happen. I can also move the topcase back and install the oversized passenger seat so my wife can tag along. Surprisingly, we made a 4-day, 1600-mile round trip two-up on the '99 with a similar setup back in 2002. While the RT is much more capable, the C was just fine on that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c.solo.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	110057  
Whiskey likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Garage

I've never seen one before. Looks kind of like a Valkyrie... without the obnoxious amounts of power I guess.

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I've never seen one before. Looks kind of like a Valkyrie... without the obnoxious amounts of power I guess.
ahhhhh, another unsuspecting candidate: don't let the C's power rating cloud your opinions. yes it is rated at only 69hp but it also produces 71lb/ft of torque. now, that doesn't really sound like a lot by today's standards but you recall the 1100RT was named #1 sport touring bike by cycle world four years in a row with only 72lb/ft of torque and weighing in 60 lbs heavier than the C. I always surprise the crap out of people who think they are going to run off and leave me on my "underpowered" BMW cruiser then look in their mirrors to see me right on them through the twisty roads.
Whiskey likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 10:24 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
ahhhhh, another unsuspecting candidate: don't let the C's power rating cloud your opinions. yes it is rated at only 69hp but it also produces 71lb/ft of torque. now, that doesn't really sound like a lot by today's standards but you recall the 1100RT was named #1 sport touring bike by cycle world four years in a row with only 72lb/ft of torque and weighing in 60 lbs heavier than the C. I always surprise the crap out of people who think they are going to run off and leave me on my "underpowered" BMW cruiser then look in their mirrors to see me right on them through the twisty roads.
You misread me. I want saying it was underpowered, just that it didn't have the obnoxious amounts of power that the Valkyrie does. You don't have to have enough power to tow a yacht to enjoy a ride and even be able to haul a$$.

It's a great looking bike man, and I'm sure it's fun to ride. I would definitely not kick it off a list of potential bikes to buy.
cruisin likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

One of the changes I made to the stock R1200C was to add the fog lamps. These were not standard for my version of the C, but I thought they looked nice.

My longest ride on the C was from Atlanta to Charleston WV for the 2003 Rally. The bike held up nicely but I wouldn't want to tour much further.

At my 24K service the dealer (a crafty devil) loaned me a K1200LT and told me to bring it back Tuesday morning. Honey Bunny and I put 500 miles on that bike over the weekend and I couldn't sleep at night. First thing Tuesday morning I bring the LT in and asked about a trade. He just bust out laughing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R1200C Driveway 2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	110097  

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2016, 1:23 pm

I really like the looks of these bikes. I was eyeing a yellow and black one. I almost took one for a local test ride. After some reading here and elsewhere, I made the decision to try something else. This bike would definitely turn more heads.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
One of the changes I made to the stock R1200C was to add the fog lamps. These were not standard for my version of the C, but I thought they looked nice. . . . . .
The C can be a bit challenging when trying to add your own touches. Here is what I did to the '99 in the beginning and then duplicated it on the replacement '00 that you see here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	col1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	110313  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in